Question about HDMI Cables

eball

Perhaps this is even too "off topic" for OTW, but thought I'd ask -- are there any AV experts out there who can help me understand what sort of HDMI cables I should be using, and whether the brand name matters? There is lots of gobbledygook on the intarwebs on this topic, but I'd rather hear it from someone around here who knows what he's talking about.

Here's my setup:

Vizio 1080p/3D LED TV

Yamaha RX-V773 AVR

Apple TV

DirecTV HR34 (the Genie)

Xbox 360

I can connect the Apple TV, Genie, and Xbox to various HDMI inputs on the Yamaha, and then one cable from HDMI Out goes to the TV's HDMI (ARC) port. Both the Yamaha and Vizio claim to support ARC (so if I'm using an internet app like Netflix on the TV I can still get the sound though my system rather than the TV speakers).

First and most simple question -- will HDMI cables purchased 8 years or so ago support all of this?

Maybe this belongs on the consumer forum, but it doesn't look like anyone has been on there for a month. ;)

Others are more qualified to provide better detail on your specific questions, but if you do need more up to date HDMI cables you definitely don't need to pay top dollar at the big box stores. Get them at monoprice.com for a fraction of the cost.

Others are more qualified to provide better detail on your specific questions, but if you do need more up to date HDMI cables you definitely don't need to pay top dollar at the big box stores. Get them at monoprice.com for a fraction of the cost.

Yes, hdmi sends purely digital information, so it either works or does not. No point paying big money for Monster Cable or other ripoff brands. It's not like analog audio cables or speaker wire--these you can get better results with better quality cable.

Same here. Hooked up HDMI to my son's BluRay player and it gave me nothing but fits... Went back to the component cables. It wasn't an overly long run... Player is on a shelf across the room... TV hangs free on the wall and the cable was run inside the wall up over the ceiling and back down... About 50 ft @ max... I heard, runs can't be that long? Is that still true?

I'm learning more about this topic than I wanted to. Apparently there are two "types" of HDMI cables -- standard speed and high speed. Doesn't seem to make much sense not to go with high speed. Then there's the designation -- i.e., 1.3, 1.4. Apparently if you want the ability to use ARC (audio return channel), get full 1080P display, and view 3D content you need to have 1.4.

That monoprice.com site appears to have cables that fit the 1.4 specs at very reasonable prices.

@exiled -- i think you can do a 50 ft. run, just need to have a good quality cable.

I'm learning more about this topic than I wanted to. Apparently there are two "types" of HDMI cables -- standard speed and high speed. Doesn't seem to make much sense not to go with high speed. Then there's the designation -- i.e., 1.3, 1.4. Apparently if you want the ability to use ARC (audio return channel), get full 1080P display, and view 3D content you need to have 1.4.

That monoprice.com site appears to have cables that fit the 1.4 specs at very reasonable prices.

@exiled -- i think you can do a 50 ft. run, just need to have a good quality cable.

many of the geeks on avs forum swear by monoprice cables. i have mostly amazon's proprietary brand around my home and they work fine and are cheap. theoretically, some signal loss could occur with long runs of cable to the point where you have inadequate signal make it from the source to the display resulting in no picture. i run 25 ft of no name hdmi cable to my projector and have never had this happen. i wouldn't worry about it. for A LOT more discussion on this and other cabling topics, go to avs forum.

Thanks -- so far both of you confirmed what I suspected; namely, get the right specs but ignore the "premium" brand names.

But... But ... Best Buy has all of the blue shirted experts to help you....

Wifey wanted to look at a new fridge so we went to the local BB because Lord only knows in these situations my opinions or research matters so much... Anyway, while there she was also poking around in the PC area and not one of the "experts" could answer what I thought were some pretty basic questions about a new tablet PC combo. She wasn't really looking to buy one but after that experience she did acknowledge there absolutely no reason to buy one there.

We did not buy a fridge from them either because we we went to that section not a sales associate to be found anywhere.

This was early afternoon on a Saturday.

Thanks -- so far both of you confirmed what I suspected; namely, get the right specs but ignore the "premium" brand names.

Go to www.NewEgg.com. They have dirt cheap cables in all lengths. I bought a 25 ft one for $8 and it works great.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Same here. Hooked up HDMI to my son's BluRay player and it gave me nothing but fits... Went back to the component cables. It wasn't an overly long run... Player is on a shelf across the room... TV hangs free on the wall and the cable was run inside the wall up over the ceiling and back down... About 50 ft @ max... I heard, runs can't be that long? Is that still true?

components have more signal loss in my experience than hdmi. 50 ft is pushing it. for a run that long, i'd consider a wireless hdmi. had one that worked beautifully in my old house.

Thanks... Sounds like a plan!

a few years back they only had wireless transmitters that could send signal to 1 receiver. don't know if they've perfected a system yet with more than 1 receiver but this would make running wire all over your house completely unnecessary and also eliminate the need for things like DTV's genie if you were happy watching the same show in every room. opens up lots of possiblities like sending roku or apple tv signals to other displays as well. also allows for watching a tv out on your patio or yard. range was claimed to be about 100 feet i think.

HDMI.org no longer uses version numbers to indicate the types/capability of cables: http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Just make sure you get a cable that is designated as "High Speed" and you'll be fine.

I have never understood how the signal is carried by RG6 from the dish to receiver , then somehow HDMI makes the picture better than if RG6 then carried that to the TV. I am sure I am missing something, as like a lemming I have always used whatever cable technology was in vogue....from RCA to S Video to Component to now HDMI....but I have just never understood that.

Edited by plenzmd1

I have never understood how the signal is carried by RG6 from the dish to receiver , then somehow HDMI makes the picture better than if RG6 then carried that to the TV. I am sure I am missing something, as like a lemming I have always used whatever cable technology was in vogue....from RCA to S Video to Component to now HDMI....but I have just never understood that.

Interesting, yeah same here. Okay, here is one explanation: The Cable Fairies! You know, they are kind like the cousins of the dudes under your vehicle's hood that have the squirt guns... When you need to turn you windshield washers on... ;-) ;-) Okay, maybe I have been dealing with too many young children for a while! :-)