Question about HDMI Cables

eball

I have never understood how the signal is carried by RG6 from the dish to receiver , then somehow HDMI makes the picture better than if RG6 then carried that to the TV. I am sure I am missing something, as like a lemming I have always used whatever cable technology was in vogue....from RCA to S Video to Component to now HDMI....but I have just never understood that.

it has to do with compression of signal. see rudolfo's post here http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14882

For runs over 35', take FIC's advice and use Blue Jeans Cables...they have one specifically designed for long runs.

I've also used the Amazon Basics brand with good results. I have a 20' run to my projector and the Amazon one works great.

many of the geeks on avs forum swear by monoprice cables. i have mostly amazon's proprietary brand around my home and they work fine and are cheap. theoretically, some signal loss could occur with long runs of cable to the point where you have inadequate signal make it from the source to the display resulting in no picture. i run 25 ft of no name hdmi cable to my projector and have never had this happen. i wouldn't worry about it. for A LOT more discussion on this and other cabling topics, go to avs forum.

Love me some AVS Forum. And Monoprice cables are great, it's all I have.