EJ not ruled out for wk 1, Tuel competing for starting spot

Marrone's handling of the Manuel injury is further evidence of something truly new and different at OBD. Severity of EJ's injury aside (did anyone count how many times Marrone said "minor"?), not giving Belichick and the Pats* any further film of EJ on the field prior to September 8 is genius.

Let's face it -- Marrone isn't catering to the media and doesn't care if they do or don't know what he's thinking. He is beholden to his staff and these players, and everyone wearing an official Bills logo in that building knows EJ has already won the starting job.

Marrone also knows the game against the Pats* is a chance to make a huge statement -- does anyone think he wants to begin his reign with Kevin Kolb behind center?

As shocked and disappointed as I was by the initial news of EJ's injury, all of the reports since have been extraordinarily positive (successful procedure, no crutches, EJ back on campus, etc., etc.).

I believe Marrone is going to quickly gain a reputation as someone not to be underestimated among the head coaching ranks of the NFL.

Some of you may roll your eyes and call this a pollyanna or homer post, but I like what I see.

As for Tuel competing to start -- that's just good media fodder. More realistically, he's competing to make Kolb expendable.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone's handling of the Manuel injury is further evidence of something truly new and different at OBD. Severity of EJ's injury aside (did anyone count how many times Marrone said "minor"?), not giving Belichick and the Pats* any further film of EJ on the field prior to September 8 is genius.

Let's face it -- Marrone isn't catering to the media and doesn't care if they do or don't know what he's thinking. He is beholden to his staff and these players, and everyone wearing an official Bills logo in that building knows EJ has already won the starting job.

Marrone also knows the game against the Pats* is a chance to make a huge statement -- does anyone think he wants to begin his reign with Kevin Kolb behind center?

As shocked and disappointed as I was by the initial news of EJ's injury, all of the reports since have been extraordinarily positive (successful procedure, no crutches, EJ back on campus, etc., etc.).

I believe Marrone is going to quickly gain a reputation as someone not to be underestimated among the head coaching ranks of the NFL.

Some of you may roll your eyes and call this a pollyanna or homer post, but I like what I see.

As for Tuel competing to start -- that's just good media fodder. More realistically, he's competing to make Kolb expendable.

Nicely stated.

Total homer. :P

I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Logically, to me, it says EJ isn't starting game one, simply due to not having enough on the field time, even if he "won" the competition. In which case, we might see Kolb start a few games, and when (not if) he stinks bad enough, EJ will be brought in as starter.

But, I really hope you're right, eball. I want EJ to start, even with this injury. Kolb isn't even as good as Fitzpatrick (imo). Sure, he can throw a deeper ball. But he gets rattled easily and makes poor choices. And in that case, I'll take Fitzy any day.

Or ... Marrone knows that Manuel will not be starting against the Pats and he is saying "minor" every other word to try and get BellyCheat to waste time game planning for Manuel.

There are always a lot of head games going on when it comes to player injuries. But I guess we will know soon enough.

But the bolded, yikes. That is so nonsensical I have to believe you are making some kind of joke.

Or ... Marrone knows that Manuel will not be starting against the Pats and he is saying "minor" every other word to try and get BellyCheat to waste time game planning for Manuel.

There are always a lot of head games going on when it comes to player injuries. But I guess we will know soon enough.

But the bolded, yikes. That is so nonsensical I have to believe you are making some kind of joke.

I think Marrone knows exactly what he's doing, and it's about time we had a head coach who doesn't think he has to tell the media everything he's thinking. That's where I'm coming from, and in the world of head coaches today that is, at the very least, extremely shrewd. Perhaps "genius" is overstating it, but Marrone is exhibiting some crafty gamesmanship from the get-go.

Totally butchering the quote and misrepresenting it to say what you want it to more definitively than it really did is why you have repeatedly been flamed for what you describe as innocently discussing your opinions. You lifted one line out of context, which came with a nice chunk of relevant context that would've been just as easy to select when doing your copy paste.

That was the exact quote from the Tweet I saw that announced the news. Then Kelly The Dog responded and said well that means CJ Spillers job is in jeopardy as well. I asked him what he was talking about. Then he explained the context. Then I didn't say anything more because I understood the context.

You have an issue with assuming things.

Folks still thinking Tuel is worthy of starting?

@pham1717

Tuel missed his first eight passes in 11 on 11 before completing one.

@JoeBuscaglia

Tuel in 11-on-11s today so far: 3/12 for 24 yards. 4 sacks taken. #Bills

I don't think anyone said Tuel is worthy of starting. What was said is he should be given a chance to compete for the job and not automatically be labeled a 3rd stringer

I don't think anyone said Tuel is worthy of starting. What was said is he should be given a chance to compete for the job and not automatically be labeled a 3rd stringer

At this stage of his career, Tuel should be happy if he lands a spot on the roster. He's simply not ready to compete for anything beyond that.

Based on what I've seen, Tuel should start if Manuel doesn't.

People here are nuts... If EJ is not ready for week 1, unless Kolb gets hurt b4 opener, there is 0% chance the Tuel starts opener vs Pats. Kolb was brought in to compete for the starting gig, once we drafted EJ, the chances of that slimmed down but still, was thought to be short term option till EJ is ready. EJ has looked great so far and deserves the start IF healthy but if he is not ready, Kolb 100% gets the start. Tuel is an UDFA who has shown us nothing vs a defense that played their starters. He looked great vs Indy vs 3rd stringers and Indy is NOT the deepest team in league, especially on D. Last week he only had mop up duty so nothing to really base anything on and once regular season starts, speed of game picks up and things are totally different out there. With way our D has been playing, Kolb would be a much better game manager and has been there before. I dont care what his stats were last yr in win vs Pats, THEY WON.

If we want to have a shot at winning that game, Kolb plays (unless EJ is ready obviously). Enough with this Tuel time stuff... Everyone always loves the backup! This reminds me of ppl falling in love with Hamdan back in the day and calling for him to get on field....

That was the exact quote from the Tweet I saw that announced the news. Then Kelly The Dog responded and said well that means CJ Spillers job is in jeopardy as well. I asked him what he was talking about. Then he explained the context. Then I didn't say anything more because I understood the context.

You have an issue with assuming things.

if it was an honest mistake, so be it, but you had to know there was more context around that quote.... either you didnt care to find out more, or you omitted it on purpose. either way its a problem that you are arguing conclusions and not including relevant information when forming them. the full quote was in post number 2 of the thread. it wasnt something you had to search for. you have had issues with it a few times now and got upset when people call you a troll, so i took the time to attempt to pass on why you are getting that reaction.

it happens to the best of us sometimes, but its been happening to you a lot and you dont seem to like the reaction it gets.

Edited by NoSaint