Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the snide comments about manufacturing stories won't save you from the fact that what I am saying is absolutely true. They're leaving their options open because they don't know if he will be ready. If they did, then the exemption would be of no purpose, other than to give the team an additional roster spot in the interim.

fixed

it would be incredibly unproductive to "punish" him by sitting him week 1. we will carry an extra player until just before the game - perhaps even a WR and hope that once practice squads around the league and rosters are set it will be easier to get him straight to ours. byrd, even if not 100% would be available to contribute in a lot of packages. sitting him would certainly put an end to any positive momentum we might be able to start building with him as well.

I am not positive there is any forward momentum. Byrd exercised his option to sign at last minute and his agent showed it is all about the Byrd and the Bills are exercising their right to not have him on active roster if he is not ready to play. I'd hate for him to get "an injury" and have need to sit out most of season to protect himself for free agency next year while collecting a full paycheck. I am sure it is a strategy Parker is considering.

Plenty of speculation is floating around wrt Byrd:

@RapSheet

Being asked if Jairus Byrd requested a trade. No. Would he welcome one in the right situation? At this point, I believe he would.

Why couldn't his agent arrange one, isn't that his job? Bills did not use exclusive tag on Byrd.

Why couldn't his agent arrange one, isn't that his job? Bills did not use exclusive tag on Byrd.

The Bills used a non-exclusive FT on Byrd, but I'm certain no team was willing to give up two #1 picks as compensation. Not sure where all of the sentiment that he'd welcome a trade is coming from unless it's back channel via Parker.

Been asking this same question since day one. Surely, there's another team out there that recognizes Byrd should be the highest paid safety because he's the best in the game, right? Then I get the answer, "Well yeah, but another team wouldn't be willing to make him the highest paid AND have to give up a 1st rounder." To which I say, "Bullschit." If another team values Byrd that highly, a #`1 pick will NOT stand in the way AT ALL. Seem to me the sad truth is that no other team values him as such and Parker just can't find one that does.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills used a non-exclusive FT on Byrd, but I'm certain no team was willing to give up two #1 picks as compensation. Not sure where all of the sentiment that he'd welcome a trade is coming from unless it's back channel via Parker.

Or that "welcoming a trade in the right situation" is pretty generic and true of just about anyone

Well if he was as good as some claim on this board they would but he ISN'T that good of a safety. Actually his agent could have brought to Bills other offers other than 2 picks.

Well if he was as good as some claim on this board they would but he ISN'T that good of a safety. Actually his agent could have brought to Bills other offers other than 2 picks.

And I don't think any of us have any idea what offers may or may not have been discussed, both in terms of money or picks.

"The Buffalo News reported Tuesday evening that Byrd surprised the Bills by signing his tender Tuesday. Byrd's reasoning for returning earlier than expected? The roster exemption given by the NFL is often for two weeks, and by returning now with two weeks left in the preseason, Byrd would avoid missing regular-season games.

Byrd would not have received any of his game checks, equal to one-seventeenth of his $6.9 million salary, if he was on the exempt list during the regular season. "

Boo!

"The Buffalo News reported Tuesday evening that Byrd surprised the Bills by signing his tender Tuesday. Byrd's reasoning for returning earlier than expected? The roster exemption given by the NFL is often for two weeks, and by returning now with two weeks left in the preseason, Byrd would avoid missing regular-season games.

Byrd would not have received any of his game checks, equal to one-seventeenth of his $6.9 million salary, if he was on the exempt list during the regular season. "

Boo!

He' a calculating SOB. :)

Well, I was wrong. Due to the roster exemption being only two weeks, it's clear that the Bills did not make this move due to believing he would not be ready.

"In granting the Buffalo Bills' request to have newly re-signed safety Jairus Byrd not count on their roster, the NFL limited the exemption only through the team's final two preseason games."

The news that Byrd showed up now simply not to lose game checks kinda pisses me off. I know he has to look out for himself. I get that. But do you not care about the team at all?

If it didnt punish the Bills chances of winning, I would let him sit the year. Just playing nickel or spot duty. That'll drastically decrease his chances for a huge contract.

I hope the gamble pays off for Byrd, and by extension, Parker. There is a much higher risk of injury after a hold out. I hope this doesn't happen and he plays like a beast all season long, but it he gets hurt, the chances for a career long contract with the Bills (or any other team) will drop considerably.

But looking at the other side I can understand why Byrd wants to make as much money as he can while he can. The average career in the NFL is 4 years.

Well, I was wrong. Due to the roster exemption being only two weeks, it's clear that the Bills did not make this move due to believing he would not be ready.

"In granting the Buffalo Bills' request to have newly re-signed safety Jairus Byrd not count on their roster, the NFL limited the exemption only through the team's final two preseason games."

The news that Byrd showed up now simply not to lose game checks kinda pisses me off. I know he has to look out for himself. I get that. But do you not care about the team at all?

If it didnt punish the Bills chances of winning, I would let him sit the year. Just playing nickel or spot duty. That'll drastically decrease his chances for a huge contract.

Why?

You can also look at it as this is exactly what the Bills wanted.

They forced Byrd to show. He did not want to lose money so he signed and now he has two weeks to get ready.

I think you are off base on this one.

Who would you rather have on the team besides Byrd against a pass happy Pats team???

Would you trade Byrd to San Diego for a 2014 2nd and 5th, and a 2016 3rd rounder?

http://www.boltsfrom...for-jairus-byrd

No to either.

Give me to 2014 2nd and 5th.

Bump the 3rd in 2016 to a second in 2015, and we got a deal!!

4 picks in the top 64 picks the next two years. If you draft right, that is how you build a good team!

The news that Byrd showed up now simply not to lose game checks kinda pisses me off.

I know, right, it's not like it's his job and this is a work dispute where he yet has taken the team's offer to come to work for this season. With none of the kinds of guarantees afforded any of his other more talented teammates or co-workers on other teams, I might add.

How dare he mitigate the risk of injury while maximizing his earning potential for this season. WTH hell is wrong with this guy? After all, football players careers last as long as they want them to.

How dare he mitigate the risk of injury while maximizing his earning potential for this season. WTH hell is wrong with this guy? After all, football players careers last as long as they want them to.

Bygolly why must you get in the way of me getting mad, with your common sense and practical thinking time and time again!

Would you trade Byrd to San Diego for a 2014 2nd and 5th, and a 2016 3rd rounder?

http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/8/21/4645450/bills-san-diego-chargers-should-trade-for-jairus-byrd

Depends how frosty things are behind the scenes. That's getting close, but likely not quite - although it makes little to no sense for San Diego to do so I'm treating it as if they aren't the team.

Stupid jerk comes to work to make money.

Plenty of speculation is floating around wrt Byrd:

@RapSheet

Being asked if Jairus Byrd requested a trade. No. Would he welcome one in the right situation? At this point, I believe he would.

I wish font size always had to reflect the most important part of a statement. It would be a positive innovation for those out there who can't tell the difference.

Stupid jerk comes to work to make money.

I wish font size always had to reflect the most important part of a statement. It would be a positive innovation for those out there who can't tell the difference.

He won't work. He'll sit on the bench because he won't know the new system.

#1) You must have skipped over the part where I wrote "I know he has to look out for himself."

#2) There was no maximizing his earning potential after July 15th. He was going to make $6.9 mill no matter what.

#3) Careers lasting as long as they want blah blah blah. It's all bullcrap. Listen, the guy will make $6.9 mill this season. You and I, average folk, making $100k per year, it would take us 69 years to make that. He's already made $4.2 mil in his career. Add that onto the $6.9 mil he is GUARANTEED, and he has made $11.1 million in his career. Or what it would take someone 111 years who was earning $100k per year. I feel no sympathy. He could tear his ACL, MCL, PoopCL and everything else and never be able to play again and he would be financially set. So please, spare me the mitigating risk and financial future talk. It's nonsense. It's greed.

That being said, it's a free country and he is welcome to do whatever he wants. He is welcome to be greedy. That's his right. It's also my right to be pissed about it. It's also my right to think that he can look out for himself while thinking about his team as well.

Bygolly why must you get in the way of me getting mad, with your common sense and practical thinking time and time again!

Listen, I get it. You're top dog here. You are macho. You can stop now.

Sarcasm, at its core, is a quest for acceptance and ego. Youre separating yourself to make yourself seem superior and not naive. The word "sarcasm" comes from the Greek Sarkazen. Which if I recall correctly, means to rip apart one's flesh. Mainly to show dominance.

So I get it. You're dominant. You're top dog. Cool?

Edited by microscopes

#1) You must have skipped over the part where I wrote "I know he has to look out for himself."

#2) There was no maximizing his earning potential after July 15th. He was going to make $6.9 mill no matter what.

#3) Careers lasting as long as they want blah blah blah. It's all bullcrap. Listen, the guy will make $6.9 mill this season. You and I, average folk, making $100k per year, it would take us 69 years to make that. He's already made $4.2 mil in his career. Add that onto the $6.9 mil he is GUARANTEED, and he has made $11.1 million in his career. Or what it would take someone 111 years who was earning $100k per year. I feel no sympathy. He could tear his ACL, MCL, PoopCL and everything else and never be able to play again and he would be financially set. So please, spare me the mitigating risk and financial future talk. It's nonsense. It's greed.

That being said, it's a free country and he is welcome to do whatever he wants. He is welcome to be greedy. That's his right. It's also my right to be pissed about it. It's also my right to think that he can look out for himself while thinking about his team as well.

Jairus Byrd has a short window of football prowess that will likely be followed by pain that will last the rest of his life. He is not average folk. You can complain about how absurd it is that he gets paid this much, but it's even more absurd that Ralph Wilson has made billions off of this $25,000 initial investment. If he is greedy, the TV networks are greedier and the owners are greedier. The whole damn thing is draped in dollar signs. So at the end of the day the only question is about Byrd's worth commensurate with his performance, and that of others like him in a league that trades the health and well-being of 20-40something men for money and glory.

K-9 and plenty of others disagree with Byrd's defenders on football merits. It works plenty well without the character assassinations.

I don't feel sympathy for him, but nor is his position normal, nor do we know what the situation is for most of these players.

You're right man. In a multi-billion dollar enterprise, he should just take whatever he's offered and be grateful. Such a selfish, greedy bastard!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I know, right, it's not like it's his job and this is a work dispute where he yet has taken the team's offer to come to work for this season. With none of the kinds of guarantees afforded any of his other more talented teammates or co-workers on other teams, I might add.

Everything is guaranteed for the season when he signs the tender. And history has shown that players who sit out are more likely, albeit not guaranteed, to get injured. Therefore if his logic is not mitigate risk, then showing up on time would have been beneficial.

Jairus Byrd has a short window of football prowess that will likely be followed by pain that will last the rest of his life. He is not average folk. You can complain about how absurd it is that he gets paid this much, but it's even more absurd that Ralph Wilson has made billions off of this $25,000 initial investment. If he is greedy, the TV networks are greedier and the owners are greedier. The whole damn thing is draped in dollar signs. So at the end of the day the only question is about Byrd's worth commensurate with his performance, and that of others like him in a league that trades the health and well-being of 20-40something men for money and glory.

K-9 and plenty of others disagree with Byrd's defenders on football merits. It works plenty well without the character assassinations.

I don't feel sympathy for him, but nor is his position normal, nor do we know what the situation is for most of these players.

Back up your claim that he will "be followed by pain that will last the rest of his life".

As far as I know, he hasn't received any concussions. Although my memory can be foggy at times. And concussions are the main reason for why football players end up in pain later on in life.

You're right man. In a multi-billion dollar enterprise, he should just take whatever he's offered and be grateful. Such a selfish, greedy bastard!!

That's not what I said.

Everything is guaranteed for the season when he signs the tender. And history has shown that players who sit out are more likely, albeit not guaranteed, to get injured. Therefore if his logic is not mitigate risk, then showing up on time would have been beneficial.

Back up your claim that he will "be followed by pain that will last the rest of his life".

As far as I know, he hasn't received any concussions. Although my memory can be foggy at times. And concussions are the main reason for why football players end up in pain later on in life.

That's not what I said.

Are you saying the only pain retired football players go through are concussion related? Have you seen Earl Campbell lately?

These guys are the main thing supporting a $20 billion/year enterprise. They deserve every penny they can get because they are worth it. They're not the fry cooks at Burger King.

That's not what I said.

Knee and hip replacements, arthritic conditions, addiction to pain killers and other afflictions are common place because their bodies take so much punishment over the course of a career. These guys pay a serious toll for the glory, adulation, and success. Irrespective of your opinion, they certainly deserve to make as much as they can, while they can without ridicule.

My goodness. Hey, on your way out, look up the word "likely."

This is actually a bit of an interesting mini case study going on here.

To some, the athlete making millions of dollars is the unreachable peek that they will never obtain and there is a bit of resentment in that.

But to others, specifically those so far responding in this thread, they look deeper. Their disdain is towards the NFL and the Teams who make much more money than the player ever will. So in essense, the athlete is the "little guy" and therefore it is much easier to relate to the athlete, being the "little guy", than it is to relate to the NFL or Team.

Very interesting discussion so far.

This is actually a bit of an interesting mini case study going on here.

To some, the athlete making millions of dollars is the unreachable peek that they will never obtain and there is a bit of resentment in that.

But to others, specifically those so far responding in this thread, they look deeper. Their disdain is towards the NFL and the Teams who make much more money than the player ever will. So in essense, the athlete is the "little guy" and therefore it is much easier to relate to the athlete, being the "little guy", than it is to relate to the NFL or Team.

Here, you are on to something.

I don't resent Byrd or any athlete that has made it where he has. We can perhaps resent the value system that leads to him making money that is unattainable for the rest of us, but here we are posting on a football message board in high anticipation of the new season.

I have little regard for the owners at this point. I respect what the elder statesmen, including Ralph, did to grow and support the league in its early years, but right now it is an unstoppable money making machine and the owners could hardly be characterized as doing much beyond letting auto-pilot steer this thing into the high seas of profit. You would have to f--- up hard to lose money owning an NFL franchise.

The players are the ones who really invest themselves in this game, and they're the ones I'd like to see do well and better their lives.

Are you saying the only pain retired football players go through are concussion related? Have you seen Earl Campbell lately?

These guys are the main thing supporting a $20 billion/year enterprise. They deserve every penny they can get because they are worth it. They're not the fry cooks at Burger King.

I ask that everyone who responds to a post of mine, please read what I am writing before responding. It's a small request but it would be very beneficial in the long run.

I said "concussions are the main reason". Meaning, most of the studies I have seen related to lasting pain after careers is due to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, which is a result of repeated concussions. It is not the only reason. But it is more often than not.

The assertion that every player lives with pain the rest of their life seems baseless as far as I can tell. The reason we know of Earl Campbell's story is because it is rare, and not the "norm". Unfortunately for Earl, he got addicted to painkillers and was mixing them with alcohol and that can really mess with a person.

yes he will and he will dominate. thats the pisser for Whaley and Co.

I believe if that happens Whaley will simply franchise him again.