LB Nigel Bradham Charged with Majijuana Possesion

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now you're opening up the discussion/debate on state rights vs federal government.

Probably a quick way to get this thread sent to PPP. :death:

I don't think there's really any debate in this case. That being said, the federal government isn't really enforcing the existing laws, so there's that. But to say it is 100% legal as some have said is just not correct.

The NFL prohibits the use of marijuana, so if one of those players failed a drug test, the "legality" of his use goes out the window.

Since it is unlikely that a player in one of those states would be cited with a violation or arrested for possession, the NFL would never know- but a player using marijuana would still have to beat the NFL's drug test.

So to answer your last question, the NFL policy prohibits breaking the law AND the use of marijuana. In other words, a player can use marijuana legally, but still be subject to discipline by the NFL.

See page 20: http://images.nflpla...Drug Policy.pdf

Thanks very much.

As a matter of practicality, it is, since state and municipal law enforcement are not pursuing it, and the feds aren't going to pull a guy over for having tinted windows. It goes back up to the above-quoted post; the NFL would never know about it absent independent testing, which I now understand takes place. I get your point, but it's a distinction without a difference in a situation like this.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

I think he should fight. Its a stupid law, and created to benefit coperations that profit from making prescription drugs. The American people should fight every case of possession of MARIJUANA till the point is made.

If we lose liberty, and the pusuit of happiness, all were left with is life.

I think he should fight. Its a stupid law, and created to benefit coperations that profit from making prescription drugs. The American people should fight every case of possession of MARIJUANA till the point is made.

If we lose liberty, and the pusuit of happiness, all were left with is life.

Everyone who is taking the position that marijuana is legal in some states, not enforced in others, no crime no foul, is missing the point. The NFL prohibits the use of it, all the players know that, and those that choose to break this rule, are held accountable. This is no different than Johnny football signing autographs for money. This is not a crime, but the NCAA prohibits it, anyone who breaks the rule is subject to suspension. Until the rules change players are bound by them. Case closed.

i'm not concerned with the fact that nigel gets high. it's on its way to semi- and full legalization all over the country. i'm concerned with the fact that he put himself in a position to get caught, 2am, with florida plates, in tonawanda. is called not playing the odds.

what in the world does this mean? what is hypocritical about not supporting unjust laws? remember prohibition. it still exists. i could recommend scholarly essays and books on the topic, but, you'd rather take the simplistic AP position -- that all laws are good.

have you ever in your life, gotten behind the wheel, after having one too many? if so, then YOU are the hypocrite. I'm not defending Bradham -- he deserves whatever punishment he gets; but to suggest that people are hypocrites because they don't support a stupid law is ABSOLUTELY MORONIC and shows no appreciation for the lack of harmony between the law and ethics... or the ridiculous stupidity of what un-learned Americans like to call The War on Drugs. Reefer Madness, JW... Do you homework.

+1

Quick twitter update:

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills GM Doug Whaley says the Nigel Bradham case is under review at NFL offices in regards to the personal conduct policy.

Whaley said Bradham has sat down and explained the situation in full with Doug Marrone and Director of Player Engagement Paul Lancaster

Whaley then said he'll wait for after the league's ruling to sit down and talk with Bradham about the incident. #Bills

EDIT: Unfortunately, for some board members, no mention to "cut his @$$ now."

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Everyone who is taking the position that marijuana is legal in some states, not enforced in others, no crime no foul, is missing the point. The NFL prohibits the use of it, all the players know that, and those that choose to break this rule, are held accountable. This is no different than Johnny football signing autographs for money. This is not a crime, but the NCAA prohibits it, anyone who breaks the rule is subject to suspension. Until the rules change players are bound by them. Case closed.

That's why I asked the question I asked. Employers are free to have tougher restrictions than those found in the law--substance related or otherwise.

Example: you can be fired for going to work in a bathrobe, but you're not violating the law by walking around that way.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

A breath of fresh air, pun intended, to see an athlete own up and just admit he made a mistake. Too many cases where they claim: "I don't know how that got there?" " I was set up!!" "The cops were out to get me cuz I be making so much money." "I smoked so much of the **** I thought I was in Colorado and it was no big deal."

He made I very stupid decision to begin with, at least he didn't follow it up with more stupidity.

I get pulled over for my tints all the time but never have gotten a ticket...its a 13 year old vehicle that I bought 8 years ago in Ohio that came with tints so I don't think they want to go through it for something that would likely get tossed by the judge...

A few times they let me know they were going to search my vehicle and I responded "What's your probable cause?"

They stammered out some nonsense clearly flustered I knew the law and my rights and I told them if they want to get a search warrant they can do so but that's the only way they would be searching my vehicle.

Their response "Well, you certainly know your rights, have a nice day"

No reason for them to search my vehicle, I have a shirt and tie on coming home from work. I have nothing to hide, I don't drink and have never even smoked a cigarette but its the principal...they think they can take advantage of people who don't know their rights and that's just wrong.

Bradham obviously was probable cause to search the vehicle if the officer smelled Marijuana tho, so that really wouldn't apply to him...

My issue is you are supposed to be in Rochester at camp, wtf are you doing in Buffalo at 2am?

Wish probable cause exists in NYC! I'm only half kidding; it's supposed to be the letter of the law, but the NYPD does what the NYPD wants to do. I've never ever in my life experienced racial discrimination or racial profiling prior to moving to NYC; that includes 12 years of driving around various parts of Texas, Chicago, and Michigan. Had never been pulled over once. Not ONCE. The first 18 months that I was in this city, I was "randomly" pulled over 5 times. No doubt the Texas plates are a red flag to these cops, but I think the color of my skin has some say in that as well.

I don't drink, smoke, or drive a flashy car, unless you consider a 1995 Toyota Camry that's in desperate need of a paint job, "flashy." In the 5 years I've been in this city, I've been stopped over 10 times. Wish I could say I was kidding here. Ask me how many times I've had to pay a ticket... What's worse, I've even been ordered out of the car, patted down like a criminal, and had my car searched as though I had just broken a law. Went online to see what I could do to the officers who treated me this way, but the general consensus/advice was to, "let it go."

Probable cause? I'm going with "out of state plates and Black skin for $1000, Alex." I'm also inclined to believe the Florida plate was more of a factor than Nigel's tinted windows.

This sucks for him.

An unjust law that makes a criminal out of an otherwise law abiding citizen.

Hope it is a first offense.

Legally he is fine, nothing more than a parking ticket.

I am not opposed to smoking pot. My opinion means nothing.

I do want to avoid the legal hassle if caught, even if it is only like getting a traffic ticket.

I am opposed to violating the agreement you make with your employer.

I make squat and I do not smoke pot, because I could be randomly tested and do not need to jeopardize my job.

Why should a rich athlete be exempted from those same rules?

JayBaller10, I get pulled over for random DUI checks fairly often, since I work the midnight shift. The police ALWAYS assume I have been drinking.

When I had long hair in the 70's (as opposed to no hair now) I used to get pulled over all the time. That was profiling but not racial.

Yes, I was pulled out of the car and frisked too, but I was smart enough not to CARRY anything that would get me in trouble. One time I had to unpack all my luggage. This was on the Thruway. I was livid, but I preferred keeping a low profile, and had no cash for a lawyer.

I am not down playing your point, just saying... sucks to be different when it comes to the law.

Edited by rockpile

Wish probable cause exists in NYC! I'm only half kidding; it's supposed to be the letter of the law, but the NYPD does what the NYPD wants to do. I've never ever in my life experienced racial discrimination or racial profiling prior to moving to NYC; that includes 12 years of driving around various parts of Texas, Chicago, and Michigan. Had never been pulled over once. Not ONCE. The first 18 months that I was in this city, I was "randomly" pulled over 5 times. No doubt the Texas plates are a red flag to these cops, but I think the color of my skin has some say in that as well.

I don't drink, smoke, or drive a flashy car, unless you consider a 1995 Toyota Camry that's in desperate need of a paint job, "flashy." In the 5 years I've been in this city, I've been stopped over 10 times. Wish I could say I was kidding here. Ask me how many times I've had to pay a ticket... What's worse, I've even been ordered out of the car, patted down like a criminal, and had my car searched as though I had just broken a law. Went online to see what I could do to the officers who treated me this way, but the general consensus/advice was to, "let it go."

Probable cause? I'm going with "out of state plates and Black skin for $1000, Alex." I'm also inclined to believe the Florida plate was more of a factor than Nigel's tinted windows.

not just in NYC...its all over NY state. Troopers will almost 100 percent pull you over for a deep tint. They even have a tint measure instrument that can actually measure the tint darkness, amazing huh?

But DWB was for sure involved in this case.

Sad thing is for Nigal, if he doesn't get rid of the tint and change his plates to NY it will happen again.

Cut him..........make an example of him. Show some balls Marrone!

I agree, CUT HIM and make an example of him. Marrone has to show the players he has complete control of the team and won't tolerate this kind of behavior. They should put him on waivers immediately. Show the other players you mean business.

I never get pulled over. I get stopped at check points. Many of those times I haven't had my wallet. I am polite, tell the officer that I had left the wallet at the house because of going out on the farm. Or going to the gym and didn't remember it. Or whatever.

I have title and insurance show them that. They never say a thing.

I agree, CUT HIM and make an example of him. Marrone has to show the players he has complete control of the team and won't tolerate this kind of behavior. They should put him on waivers immediately. Show the other players you mean business.

Idk if I'm getting old or I just don't understand sarcasm... you ARE joking right?

Not to mention he was one of the highest graded coverage LBs in the NFL by PFF last year successfully defending 83% of passes thrown his way...

A guy like that is a cancer for the team and becomes a distraction. You should cut him for the good of the team. The team, should focus on football not an outside circus. I say release him before he ruins the morale of the team.