Redskins want new stadium

FedEx Field is to stadiums as a trailer home is to mansions. It is an armpit that screams cheapness at every turn. They built that thing for pennies and took a step or two below builder's grade on the options.

And there is no 30 year wait on season tickets. That died a decade ago:

http://www.washingto...n-ticket-pitch/

Man, they get a shirt and hat. All I got from the Bills was a picture of Brian Moorman punting out of the Bills endzone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wade Phillips and the Late (in my opinion, great) John Butler weren't very fond of thier treatment by Old Man Wilson with the alligator arms and deep pockets.

Coaches and GMs with axes to grind aren't who I'm talking about. I'm talking about his regular, behind the scenes employees from the Redskins to Six Flags to his communications companies.

GO BILLS!!!

Shanahan had no interest in joining a Wilson franchise that included a cash to cap business model when he had an opportunity to join a franchise in Washington where the owner ran a looser cash flow operatiion. Wilson would never allow Bruce Allen to take over the cap and cash flow management away from his Michigan preatorian guard. It was never going to happen.

Would Shanahan have been interested in joining an organization like the Steelers or Green Bay? Both have been using cash to cap accounting for years now.

Go ahead and take every opportunity to take gratuitous shots at Ralph Wilson, but you don't have to resort to making crap up.

GO BILLS!!!

Jack Kent Cook and then Dan Snyder paid for the stadium the Skins are playing in. Last year Dan Snyder paid a lot of money to upgrade the stadium by taking seats out and putting in a party area. Compare that to the bills owner who has never put in a nickel for the facility he plays in. The talk about building a new stadium in DC or Virginia is a fanciful idea that no one takes seriously, at least at this point.

Dan Snyder has garnered a lot of criticisms for a variety of reasons but he can't be criticized for not putting his own money where his mouth is. Compare that to the whiney owner of the Bills who will eventually auction off the team when he passes. I'll take a Danny Snyder type owner over a Ralph type owner any day of the week. The current HC and head of the football operation, Mike Shanahan, refused to even interview to work for the Bills and instead went to work for Dan Snyder. He made a smart decision and an easy decision.

Whiney owner of the bills who will eventually auction off the team?

Way to talk about someone whos loyalty to buffalo has kept our bills here as long as he has. Several credible sources say a plan is in place to keep the bills here post Wilson.

You'll take Danny Snyder over a Ralph type any day of the week?

IMO if Snyder bought the bills ten years ago they would already be gone for bright lights , big city , and the almighty buck.

There was a great special on wgrz on the legacy of Ralph Wilson. I'm sure you can probably find it online. It changed a lot of my opinions of him. Although I think he made a lot of bad hires, his class and loyalty to buffalo should be admired by all true bills fans.

Coaches and GMs with axes to grind aren't who I'm talking about. I'm talking about his regular, behind the scenes employees from the Redskins to Six Flags to his communications companies.

GO BILLS!!!

Would Shanahan have been interested in joining an organization like the Steelers or Green Bay? Both have been using cash to cap accounting for years now.

Go ahead and take every opportunity to take gratuitous shots at Ralph Wilson, but you don't have to resort to making crap up.

GO BILLS!!!

Mike Shanahan was not going to work for Ralph and the Bills. It is as simple as that. I'm not criticizing anyone here. What I'm saying is that Shanahan had choices as to where he could go. He had a better situation for him in Washington compared to Buffalo. From his perspective it was not a difficult choice to make, especially since he had a backdoor relationship with Dan Snyder.

Believe it or not I am very optimistic with the on the field prospects of this franchise. Since Brandon has taken over for the owner he has put together a quality team with Whaley/Marrone. It's going to take some time but the franchise is moving in the right direction. The systemic problem problem for this very troubled franchise had little to do with the cap to cash system. It had much more to do with a very perplexing owner hiring mediocre staff to run the football side of the business. The owner can't complain that the staff failed him because he was the one who hired them.

The most valuable sports franchise world-wide is Manchester United. The age of their stadium? 103 years old. OLD Trafford. That predates commercial radio, television, most countries worldwide... Just losing to the last Cubbies World Series win. Ditto for the rest of most of the Premier League, with many dating from the 1880s. Doubtless they went through some renovations through out the years, but in many respects the same structure remains standing. So hearing about "obsolete 30yr old football stadiums" in this country is downright insulting. The multiuse abominations (3 rivers, riverfront, etc) and domed stadiums (astro, metro, king, etc) had every right to be replaced. But football-only stadia like Bank of America and FedEx fields have another couple decades before owners can complain

The most valuable sports franchise world-wide is Manchester United. The age of their stadium? 103 years old. OLD Trafford. That predates commercial radio, television, most countries worldwide... Just losing to the last Cubbies World Series win. Ditto for the rest of most of the Premier League, with many dating from the 1880s. Doubtless they went through some renovations through out the years, but in many respects the same structure remains standing. So hearing about "obsolete 30yr old football stadiums" in this country is downright insulting. The multiuse abominations (3 rivers, riverfront, etc) and domed stadiums (astro, metro, king, etc) had every right to be replaced. But football-only stadia like Bank of America and FedEx fields have another couple decades before owners can complain

Its also funny how older venues like Wrigley & Lambeau are easy to sell out. Meanwhile NFL attendance with an abundance of newer stadiums is finding it harder to sell tickets.

Its also funny how older venues like Wrigley & Lambeau are easy to sell out. Meanwhile NFL attendance with an abundance of newer stadiums is finding it harder to sell tickets.

Agreed. For the amount I've paid at 80+ year old Notre Dame stadium to sit on 12 inches of splintered wooden bench (for the lowly Purdue game, mind you), I could probably get club seat season tix at EverBank Stadium.

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

Mike Shanahan was not going to work for Ralph and the Bills. It is as simple as that. I'm not criticizing anyone here. What I'm saying is that Shanahan had choices as to where he could go. He had a better situation for him in Washington compared to Buffalo. From his perspective it was not a difficult choice to make, especially since he had a backdoor relationship with Dan Snyder.

Believe it or not I am very optimistic with the on the field prospects of this franchise. Since Brandon has taken over for the owner he has put together a quality team with Whaley/Marrone. It's going to take some time but the franchise is moving in the right direction. The systemic problem problem for this very troubled franchise had little to do with the cap to cash system. It had much more to do with a very perplexing owner hiring mediocre staff to run the football side of the business. The owner can't complain that the staff failed him because he was the one who hired them.

Then you should have just said that instead of taking another gratuitous shot at Ralph Wilson when you had no cause to. Maybe Dan Snyder will turn out to be the greatest owner in team sports history, but his record as a 1st class A-hole has been firmly established for years. Ralph Wilson has forgotten more about treating people with dignity than Dan Snyder will ever learn. You can have him.

GO BILLS!!!

FedEx Field is a dreg and anyone not willing to drive to it, which entails spending eons of time in traffic, especially after a game, is treated to a wonderful mile walk each way to the closest mass transit stop. The whole idea of building the place was to go cheap and produce a cash cow, which it's been. Also, the place is far from Dan Snyder's notion of style, being located in mildly blue collar Prince Georges County and being far from a showplace for his wealthy friends.

Jack Kent Cook and then Dan Snyder paid for the stadium the Skins are playing in. Last year Dan Snyder paid a lot of money to upgrade the stadium by taking seats out and putting in a party area. Compare that to the bills owner who has never put in a nickel for the facility he plays in. The talk about building a new stadium in DC or Virginia is a fanciful idea that no one takes seriously, at least at this point.

Dan Snyder has garnered a lot of criticisms for a variety of reasons but he can't be criticized for not putting his own money where his mouth is. Compare that to the whiney owner of the Bills who will eventually auction off the team when he passes. I'll take a Danny Snyder type owner over a Ralph type owner any day of the week. The current HC and head of the football operation, Mike Shanahan, refused to even interview to work for the Bills and instead went to work for Dan Snyder. He made a smart decision and an easy decision.

The Bills' old lease with the state and county was to expire on July 31. Under the terms of the new agreement, Erie County will pay $41 million for upgrades at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The state will pay for $54 million in renovations. The Bills will contribute $35 million. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/03/nfl-gives-blessing-to-bills-lease-deal.html

yep. like several posters here, I live in the DC area and say what you want about Cooke and Snyder, Cooke built Fedex with his own money, Snyder bought it along with the team, improved it with his own money and while we all love the Bills, blah blah , there is no comparison between the two franchises, from resources to facilities to leadership... and players, coaches and GMs know it. I remember talking to London Fletcher a few years ago about it... all the players the Bills let go, etc. The Bills are run like a local rugby club, scratching together whatever and whoever they can find and the Redskins are run like IBM, going and getting what and who they want. neither is necessarily a recipe for success with the injury wildcard (eg. will RGIII be the same?who knows) always out there, the franchises are in two different leagues as far as approach.