What is the deal with Mario?

YoloinOhio

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guy gets 10 sacks and people act like hes a bum. im sorry so many of you wasted your own money paying for mario williams......ill never understand the mario hate. he got paid by the bills. its not like they were spending that money on anything else anyway AND it doesnt have anything to do with anyone on this boards financial situation. it didnt come out of any of our own pockets nor does it really even affect the bills salary cap situation. they were that far under the cap.

get a grip people

The Bills are about 22 milion under the cap and that's with Byrd's money already accounted for - if Mario wasn't signed we'd be 34 million under the cap - so tell me who the Mario signing is preventing the Bills from getting? even with the Mario signing the Bills could have signed Levitre and one of the top 3 CBs in Free agency and still have 7 Million left over for injuries or extensions.

Other than Watt, I believe he is as well. There's a lot more to a great Defensive End than rushing the passer. A great run stopping Defensive End can be a game-changer, and that's what separates guys like Watt and Mario from the Dwight Freeneys of the world. Against a guy like Freeney, you run right at him. You can't do that with the other two.

Excellent point. Mario played the run as well as it can be played last year. He owned his corner.

GO BILLS!!!

Such a silly discussion, Mario is a stud plain and simple he doesn't need to risk injuring himself in games that are really only to determine who makes the team. If you think getting 10.5 sacks in that horrible scheme while fighting an injury that hurt his explosion isn't cutting it then you have unreasonable expectations.

Right, because the only measure of a DE's dominance is the sheer number of sacks he gets.

I think half the people on this board don't even watch the games.

GO BILLS!!!

Hmmm.that was the figure that was bandied about. I don't think his tackles were all that impressive. I don't think he was the greatest run stopper the bills ever had...and finally...we had six freaking wins last year. Hope he has a better year, but we haven't been getting value for the dollar with this guy.

Hmmm.that was the figure that was bandied about. I don't think his tackles were all that impressive. I don't think he was the greatest run stopper the bills ever had...and finally...we had six freaking wins last year. Hope he has a better year, but we haven't been getting value for the dollar with this guy.

It had nothing to do with the terrible D scheme the Bills ran, the inept QB play, or the chicken poop coach that wouldnt try a long field goal. It all falls on Mario Williams?

It had nothing to do with the terrible D scheme the Bills ran, the inept QB play, or the chicken poop coach that wouldnt try a long field goal. It all falls on Mario Williams?

Hey..I said Gailey and Nix were a disaster the day they were appointed and Wanny was a mess. I'm just focusing on this one guy's performance which is not of pro-bowl nor hall of fame caliber. Should he be a starting defensive end? sure. He is one of three or four defensive linemen and in the Bills scheme he might be the best of that small group. But given his salary he's what I consider a bust...so far. Hope he proves me wrong and has a pro-bowl season, but until he does...I'm not impressed.

Hey..I said Gailey and Nix were a disaster the day they were appointed and Wanny was a mess. I'm just focusing on this one guy's performance which is not of pro-bowl nor hall of fame caliber. Should he be a starting defensive end? sure. He is one of three or four defensive linemen and in the Bills scheme he might be the best of that small group. But given his salary he's what I consider a bust...so far. Hope he proves me wrong and has a pro-bowl season, but until he does...I'm not impressed.

Are you really saying that a fan-based popularity contest that results in guys like Jeff Saturday--who was benched mid-season--making the team is your barometer for whether or not a guy is worth his contract?

Forgive me, but I strongly disagree with your evaluation criteria.

The number bandied about isn't the number bandied about by those who know the position and the players that play it.

He was superb against the run last year.

GO BILLS!!!

Are you really saying that a fan-based popularity contest that results in guys like Jeff Saturday--who was benched mid-season--making the team is your barometer for whether or not a guy is worth his contract?

Forgive me, but I strongly disagree with your evaluation criteria.

Actually the only criteria I've mentioned are sacks, tackles, win/loss and overall performance. I never mentioned popularity, which I don't think should be a criteria. Don't know how I've given you that impression. Furthermore, if he were getting a journeyman defensive end salary, which I think he might actually deserve, I wouldn't consider him a bust. He's a better than average defensive end..but nothing special.

The number bandied about isn't the number bandied about by those who know the position and the players that play it.

He was superb against the run last year.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll bite...what evidence is there that his performance against the run was "superb"...just asking...

Such a silly discussion, Mario is a stud plain and simple he doesn't need to risk injuring himself in games that are really only to determine who makes the team. If you think getting 10.5 sacks in that horrible scheme while fighting an injury that hurt his explosion isn't cutting it then you have unreasonable expectations.

this

... I'll bite...what evidence is there that his performance against the run was "superb"...just asking...

I suppose you insist on a link as well. All I can offer is to re-watch every play from last season and tell me how many times he lost his containment. I doubt you would need the fingers on one hand. By comparison, look at the RDE position, particularly Kyle Moore and you will see what I'm talking about. You'll need an adding machine.

Williams is a power player. Anyone who thought they were getting a speed rusher or an anchor just hasn't watched his career.

He's a force on the field and one of the best. His salary has nothing to do with any of it.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not sure any player is going to look very good in Wannstache's "scheme". I'll grant you that Mario was pretty pedestrian early in the season but he was basically playing with one arm and the defense didn't have ANY other person regularly making plays.