Rogers after two practice games

Beerball

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the reason Rogers signed with buffalo....

He developed a good relationship with robert woods having the same agent and working out together pre draft.

Woods got drafted by buffalo---Rogers picked buffalo.

I could be wrong but I think this is the first time (or one of the very few times) this fact has been posted since shortly after we signed Rogers as an undrafted free agent.

To me, the significance of this fact is that IF Rogers were to be waived and IF he were not to be claimed by a team wanting to place him on their active roster, that there would be a good chance that he would choose Buffalo's practice squad instead of another team's practice squad.

I could be wrong but I think this is the first time (or one of the very few times) this fact has been posted since shortly after we signed Rogers as an undrafted free agent.

To me, the significance of this fact is that IF Rogers were to be waived and IF he were not to be claimed by a team wanting to place him on their active roster, that there would be a good chance that he would choose Buffalo's practice squad instead of another team's practice squad.

Probably. But since 13 other teams were hot on his trail after the draft, likely one of them would pick him up. Hogan and Kaufman much less likely.

I don't know why everyone assumes Rogers is going to be so good. He has physical skills but seems to still lack something from what I see which, of course, is why no one drafted him. He struggles to get open, makes mental mistakes and gives up on plays. At a practice I saw Marrone verbally correct him when he gave up on a play and didn't try to break up a possible pick. A week later in an actual preseason game he watched a questionable fumble be returned for a TD. I don't think he's learning too quickly and other teams see that. I predict he gets cut. He may very well get picked up by someone else but I don't think it's a great loss. I think Hogan could be very good if used properly and Easley looks over the learning curve/injury bug. I also think a new coach wants to send a message that he keeps the players that have earned a spot.

Someone help me with the logic here.

Each year, there are few if any teams that keep all seven of their draft picks on their active roster. No team chose to give even a 7th round flyer on Da'Rick. When it was over, 17 teams I think it was wanted to sign him, for nothing. Why does everyone assume that because 17 teams wanted him in the 8th round, when not any of these teams are going to keep all the 7 players they drafted and chose before him, are going to scoop him up and cut another one of their own receivers, especially when he didn't light it up in pre-season.

If they were so sure of him eventually turning into something enough to keep him on their active roster without ever really seeing him play, why wouldn't they have drafted him in the 6th or 7th round?

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Each year, there are few if any teams that keep all seven of their draft picks on their active roster. No team chose to give even a 7th round flyer on Da'Rick. When it was over, 17 teams I think it was wanted to sign him, for nothing. Why does everyone assume that because 17 teams wanted him in the 8th round, when not any of these teams are going to keep all the 7 players they drafted and chose before him, are going to scoop him up and cut another one of their own receivers, especially when he didn't light it up in pre-season.

If they were so sure of him eventually turning into something enough to keep him on their active roster without ever really seeing him play, why wouldn't they have drafted him in the 6th or 7th round?

The difference is that if he's cut, another team could also entice him to their practice squad before he agrees to return to Bills. No need to waste a roster spot.

The quick answer is there is no reason, unless something changed. If teams lost a WR or gave up on one or more developmental players, they might want to give him a shot if they had some reason to think he had promise. (I don't really think so.)

I think a lot of teams wanted to see for themselves, if there wasn't much risk. That's a far cry from wanting to sign him to the 53 man roster and guarantee his pay for the year sight-unseen. If a team was deparate during the year, I could maybe see them taking a shot signing him off of a PS.

I posted something similar up thread, was berated for my logic then was called something akin to a coward...I think. Such is life on the internets I guess.

The difference is that if he's cut, another team could also entice him to their practice squad before he agrees to return to Bills. No need to waste a roster spot.

True. Not sure he would take that chance. He would be starting over again. If the Bills wanted him on the PS they obviously would be convincing him he has a future here. And if no team is willing to sign him to their active 53, he couldn't and wouldn't harbor any extra hate for the Bills and what they thought of him. It's surely possible that he thinks he would have a better shot at a team with 5 WR instead of 6, but the Bills still have as many questions at WR and inexperience as far as NFL regular season production as they ever did.

In response to the now closed thread------

Actually the reason Rogers signed with buffalo....

He developed a good relationship with robert woods having the same agent and working out together pre draft.

Woods got drafted by buffalo---Rogers picked buffalo.

That and a wiiiiide open roster where he could challenge for #2

Teams like the Jets, 49ers and Seahawks saw their WR situations deteriorate after the draft and would now be more inclined to take a risk. Pete Carroll in particular seems to love that type of gamble, and lost Harvin.

Teams like the Jets, 49ers and Seahawks saw their WR situations deteriorate after the draft and would now be more inclined to take a risk. Pete Carroll in particular seems to love that type of gamble, and lost Harvin.

Understood. But if he gets beat out by two rookies, TJGraham, Marcus Easley and UDFA Chris Hogan, and has little tape to go on in game, with multiple reports of laziness and lapses of concentration, I don't see how they would see him as an immediate help to their WR problem. Da'Rick is a project almost any way you look at it.

For the record, I would keep Da'Rick over Hogan, and probably over Brad Smith and Marcus Easley, and I like both Smith and Easley a lot.

Understood. But if he gets beat out by two rookies, TJGraham, Marcus Easley and UDFA Chris Hogan, and has little tape to go on in game, with multiple reports of laziness and lapses of concentration, I don't see how they would see him as an immediate help to their WR problem. Da'Rick is a project almost any way you look at it.

For the record, I would keep Da'Rick over Hogan, and probably over Brad Smith and Marcus Easley, and I like both Smith and Easley a lot.

Name a WR on the Jets. Holmes is injured. There are teams out there with DIRE situations at WR.

Name a WR on the Jets. Holmes is injured. There are teams out there with DIRE situations at WR.

Yeah, i could easily see the Jets signing him. But there are going to be all kinds of decent WRs cut from other teams that would be more productive right away than Da'Rick. Guys like Derek Hagan, who is way better than Da'rick right now, and likely significantly better than Marcus Easley, Brad Smith and Chris Hogan, are available all the time.

Yeah, i could easily see the Jets signing him. But there are going to be all kinds of decent WRs cut from other teams that would be more productive right away than Da'Rick. Guys like Derek Hagan, who is way better than Da'rick right now, and likely significantly better than Marcus Easley, Brad Smith and Chris Hogan, are available all the time.

Why you raggin' on Easley man! Guys been a beast!

Why you raggin' on Easley man! Guys been a beast!

I'm not ragging on him, I'm saying guys like Derek Hagan who has produced in real NFL games at a pretty good level, even on the Bills, are better right now. I have yet to see Easley be a reliable player in an NFL game against starting defenses. I like Easley, a lot.