Was anyone there 40 years ago today,,,

...when the Bills inaugurated Rich Stadium in a preseason loss to the Redskins? Though I missed that one (was in Montreal watching Henry Aaron hit homer 703 in Jarry Park), I was lucky to see a few of O.J.'s big games that year. It was a very, very different feel from the Old Rockpile, much as I liked that place.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat in the top row with my parents. so we could look back at the parking lot. The traffic was so bad there were still cars and buses pulling into the parking lot in the 3rd quarter. I still have the commemorative coin and card they handed out.

My brother and I were there; teenagers using our part time earnings to buy upper sideline tickets and so excited to be Bills' season ticket holders. I think I still have the souvenir coin in a box somewhere.

We were sure we would live in Buffalo forever and have those tickets forever. Times and life changed with us moving out of state after college but we are once again season ticket holders (last year was our first) even though we are in NJ and VA.

Lots of memories from "Rich Stadium" and "The Ralph" and we both agree that this is one of the best stadiums to watch a game at (we own tickets for the game and want the best views at the most affordable prices). We do not need bells and whistles ... We need football and want our team to win; so we are both hopeful that 2013 will require us to buy a couple of tickets in January!

...when the Bills inaugurated Rich Stadium in a preseason loss to the Redskins? Though I missed that one (was in Montreal watching Henry Aaron hit homer 703 in Jarry Park), I was lucky to see a few of O.J.'s big games that year. It was a very, very different feel from the Old Rockpile, much as I liked that place.

Yep, I still have the Coin that they gave away that night.

post-1597-0-20835600-1376743268_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I went to the Bills-Fins game that year, where we lost 17-0, I believe, same score as our drubbing by the Johnny U-led Colts the year before, which was my first Bills game. It took me 3 years to see the Bills score a point when we beat Chicago (with Butkus) the next season. Should have realized the long haul I was in for then.....

Yep was there also.Opening kick off ran all the way back ever hear Oh S..t from 75k fans at once. Still have the coin and ticket stub. also been on this board since day 1 was on the old one also the rc board.and a founding member of the Central Ohio Bills Backers=coobpaul.

not lucky enough to be at that one, but my parents did take me to a game that year- an incredibly boring and depressing shutout loss to Miami. We were in the front row of the what is now known as the Rockpile, but the atmosphere was that of a church. it wasn't until several years later that i first saw a glass bottle launched from on high, shattering on the head of a hapless spectator in that part of the stadium.

Edited by jester43

I can't say that I was there BUT if I was I would have been carrying my Rockpile '65 Champs Seat Cushion, my over the shoulder cooler, and a small radio. I'm guessing my ticket would have been in the $25-35 range, and that would be for a good seat! No doubt, I would be turned away today. :censored:

I was there, I was 13, I think... I sort of remember it. One thing I remember at halftime there was a punt pass and kick competition. I also remember that there was a kid from Pennsylvania that won after throwing a 70 yard pass. I want to know if any of that is my true recollection? Was that kid Jim Kelly? I have been wondering about it for years.

I think the final score was Wash 34 Bflo 17, is that right? I used to have the coin. 40 years, long time. Hope we get a SuperBowl win before I pass.

That's a great story!

That was nothing. I used to pedal my way to Crystal Beach on my 20" banana bike. (Anyone remember those?) Back then the customs agents thought nothing of letting me in. Can you imagine an unaccompanied 13 year old on a bike trying to get into Canada now?

PTR