Da'rick Rogers

You can Spin the ball all day long after a TD.

You can't spin the ball AT an opponent.

The zebra decides if its AT an opponent.

I was just going to post this. He did run to the back of the end zone and faced the fans when he spun the ball. Unless it was a really poor angle, I didn't see any defenders around, thank god. However, he did start "pointing" at the ball, which the NFL could stupidly construe as "shooting" the ball.

We all know the NFL's borderline fascist no-tolerance for gun-like celebrations (ie see Stevie at the NE game a few years back with the the Minutemen as well as the Plax celebration stunt). Considering Marrone had no issues dressing down Da'Rick earlier in the offseason for "taunting," its quite possible Marrone and Co. did not take Da'Rick's celebration lightly. It's too bad they didn't pan to the sideline after the play. I could be wrong but I did not see him play another down after that - he certainly didn't get any looks, which is interesting considering how bad-ass the TD was.

I personally didn't have any problem with either part of his celebration and I don't recall Marrone discussing his thoughts on celebrations yet in his tenure. We're all just fans (so what the hell do we know?!) but I'd be interested to see if the media looks into this the next couple days.

Here's the (awesome) TD and subsequent celebration. Decide for yourself.

Edited by TheLynchTrain

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just going to post this. He did run to the back of the end zone and faced the fans when he spun the ball. Unless it was a really poor angle, I didn't see any defenders around, thank god. However, he did start "pointing" at the ball, which the NFL could stupidly construe as "shooting" the ball.

We all know the NFL's borderline fascist no-tolerance for gun-like celebrations (ie see Stevie at the NE game a few years back with the the Minutemen as well as the Plax celebration stunt). Considering Marrone had no issues dressing down Da'Rick earlier in the offseason for "taunting," its quite possible Marrone and Co. did not take Da'Rick's celebration lightly. It's too bad they didn't pan to the sideline after the play. I could be wrong but I did not see him play another down after that - he certainly didn't get any looks, which is interesting considering how bad-ass the TD was.

I personally didn't have any problem with either part of his celebration and I don't recall Marrone discussing his thoughts on celebrations yet in his tenure. We're all just fans (so what the hell do we know?!) but I'd be interested to see if the media looks into this the next couple days.

Here's the (awesome) TD and subsequent celebration. Decide for yourself.

I was wondering if this would come up. I agree -- didn't see any issue with it personally, but also wondered if it may come up in the media. We'll see.

I actually thought he was just giving us a BAAAAAAMMMMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hqzEKbaIQ

Edited by Cereal

I was wondering if this would come up. I agree -- didn't see any issue with it personally, but also wondered if it may come up in the media. We'll see.

I actually thought he was just giving us a BAAAAAAMMMMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hqzEKbaIQ

I think the mystery surrounding the rash of dead dolphins is solved. I wonder if there will be enough to even field a team after Week 7.

BRezWFHCMAEo3uz.jpg

Nice!

If the bills want to keep Rogers they will have to keep him on the roster and not let him hit the waiver wire. To many teams were after him once the draft was over. I would keep him on Potential alone.

Same goes for Tuel. If he keeps playing like that he can't hit the waiver wire.

The problem for Da'Rick is that he has heard and read all of his press clippings and the experts calling him "1st round talent" and that the Bills "got a steal" by signing him. He thinks he's a star already and wants it badly, but his perspective is all wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't think Marrone has the patience to wait for Da'Rick to "get it" and that will result in him being cut. Rogers will either learn this lesson with another team, or he will flame out and be yet another great talent who doesn't have the head for the game.

Luckily for Da'Rick, he has until the 27th (two more games and a bunch of practices) to show something different.

Eball you dont think you're being a little harsh. It was the 1st week.... Also practically the whole field stopped. So everyone that paused should be cut and dont "get it"??

Obviously we are just fans and we're all speculating. I kinda wanted to know if someone knew some inside info. Was he penalized by the coaches for the football spin? Or was he just outplayed by Easley?

Some are making too much of this "why wasn't he drafted" stuff. He F'd up at Tennessee, went to a lower rung school and was bored/disinterested and didn't dominate as often as hoped. Consequently, he was red flagged/forgotten about as a draft candidate and pushed to the top of the FA call list post draft. I saw enough of what I needed to see when he had his chance. He schooled the DB with a veteran route and caught a TD. Fine. Perhaps Tuel is more comfortable with Easley from practice, etc. But forget about Rogers being on the Bills P-squad. If cut, he's a goner. Easley is a guy you root for, but the guy has shown a glass jaw to this point. I'd keep as many of the young WR's as possible. Some are p- squad possibles, just not Rogers.

I'm reminded of the Lynch scenario. Many here didn't want to lose him as he is 1st Rd talent at RB -and has been for Seattle. But his immaturity and 'last chance' status, coupled with Fjax & CJ on the roster, forced the trade. I think Da'Rick is in the same 'boat' and if we can't make a great pro out of him, someone else surely will.

I don't see him anywhere but on the final 53 come regular season.

I'd keep Da'Rick over Hogan. Hogan didn't do anything special except drop a pass (more on that below), and it seems that he's a practice stud and gameday dud, because otherwise the Dols would have kept him on their roster last year. Now I love the kid's attitude and moxy, and he could develop into a Welker-kind of player down the line, but the Bills can cut him and stash him on the PS far easier than a guy like Da'Rick.

As for the drop, I watched that 3rd and 2 play over and over and the ball hit him in the hands and it's not like his arms were full extended. IOW, he could have made the reception. Moreover when he made his cut, he didn't go across the field, i.e. parallel to the yard lines, but instead did a slant kind of route. I doubt that's how it was drawn up, and had he gone straight across, would have easily had the reception.

Eball you dont think you're being a little harsh. It was the 1st week.... Also practically the whole field stopped. So everyone that paused should be cut and dont "get it"??

Obviously we are just fans and we're all speculating. I kinda wanted to know if someone knew some inside info. Was he penalized by the coaches for the football spin? Or was he just outplayed by Easley?

I don't think I'm being harsh at all; if you've read any of my earlier posts I'm totally rooting for the guy. The bottom line is he seems to be immature and presents the picture of a guy who feels "entitled" when he has yet to prove anything other than that he can make bad decisions. He should be working his ass off 100% of the time.

The talent and physical attributes are unquestioned, but when you're trying to make a roster as an UDFA you don't "dog it" when the whistle hasn't blown. I'll have to go back and look at the play, also, because I think saying "the whole field stopped" is a gross exaggeration.

I was psyched to see his work on the TD, that was a nice, powerful move. Whining to the sideline about Tuel not getting the ball to him while the defender was taking it to the house was a sad turn of events. I don't think there is much question he has top 6 talent on this receiving corps because you can't teach that size and power, but the competition is too fierce to be putting something like that on film. People assume he will get picked up if he is cut, but a lot of teams wanted nothing to do with him. The ones that do aren't going to like that tape.

What makes you conclude this is what he was doing? I've watched the replay several times now, and I didn't get that impression at all.

I got the impression that he thought the ball was an incomplete forward pass and was looking at the sideline to see what to do next, i.e. stay on the field or get off, given the fast pace of the offense.

He also spun the ball after his TD, which should've been a penalty. This kid is gonna run out of chances.

They apparently amended it to you can't do any of the celebrations listed a week ago at an opponent. You can still salute, spin, point, etc as long as ref doesn't interpret you're doing it at a player.

I'd keep Da'Rick over Hogan. Hogan didn't do anything special except drop a pass (more on that below), and it seems that he's a practice stud and gameday dud, because otherwise the Dols would have kept him on their roster last year. Now I love the kid's attitude and moxy, and he could develop into a Welker-kind of player down the line, but the Bills can cut him and stash him on the PS far easier than a guy like Da'Rick.

As for the drop, I watched that 3rd and 2 play over and over and the ball hit him in the hands and it's not like his arms were full extended. IOW, he could have made the reception. Moreover when he made his cut, he didn't go across the field, i.e. parallel to the yard lines, but instead did a slant kind of route. I doubt that's how it was drawn up, and had he gone straight across, would have easily had the reception.

Agreed...Rogers may be more of a project, and there are certainly some issues concerning his attention span, but you can see the kind of talent this kid has...I think Rogers situation is similar to Dez Bryant in that you're going to have to put up with some serious growing pains...But when he steps on the field he's going to be better than most of the guys covering him and he knows it, they know it...Everyone knows it...He's a kid...He's going to have to take his lumps and most importantly stay clean off the field...But if everything clicks he's a possible #1, and for sure a solid #2 NFL WR...You simply can't give up on that kind of a talent just because he's a slightly immature rookie...Especially considering this is a team with an eye on being really good in a year or two...They can and should be patient with Rogers...Even better news for Rogers is the obvious talent Easley has become...That should allow the Bills to cut Brad Smith, and keep Rogers as the last WR on the Roster... B-)

Rogers seems a lot like Stevie Johnson when SJ came into the league...raw yet talented, with a penchant for dumb celebrations/spotlight. Rogers has been hyped up by the media a lot more than Johnson was when he was first drafted. I highly doubt Rogers will be let go or put on the practice squad. Some other team would pick him up fast.

Edited by distortions