Astro-Notes: Aug 8 Practice

Astrobot

Fewer people in the stands today. Threats of rain, serious humidity, and the PGA running here at Oak Hill kept people away. Oh, and work.

Shout-Out to Rich, who was up here from Pittsburgh, and Brian from the other forum (BadlandsMeanie), who both were with me for the entire practice! That's why the notes will be better! He knows his stuff.

Buddy Nix was there for practice, as was Mike Mayock. Rich says Buddy player or coached under Bear Bryant. Nix high-fist to Russ Brandon was cool. Mayock's here because he got his facts wrong in a recent article about the Bills trading up for EJ (I made that up).

Caussin was out there finally, pushing a sled with weights on the sidelines--Rich says this is his 3rd Training Camp being injured, so he's competing with Stevie.. Chandler has his compression sleeve on again. No sign of Gaskins. Anyone know about this? Rogers, McKelvin, and Pough weren't in jerseys.

Most of the positional drills were the same, DL guys doing explosion off the line with rip moves. DB's were doing a simulation where they had to switch up on the man they were covering.

In Period 6, not 7 on 7 or anything, EJ and Tuel were throwing to WRs. Easley and Kaufman each made three very nice catches. Sampson made a strong catch, Sinkfield and Woods both made 20 yarders. KAufman and Da'Rick had a drop. Brad Smith made his one catch. Tuel made a bad throw to TJ Graham, then a superb throw to Hogan right on the money. One of Kaufman's catches from Tuel went 50 yards in the air.

Some great PBU's when they went to 11 on 11: Aaron Williams had the best one, folowed by Gilmore and Nickell Robey on Easley.

They began putting loud music over the PA system to simulate the Colts dome. "Any Way You Want It comes on and Chandler starts air-guitar.

OLine for both 11 on 11s was (from LT end): Cordy, Colin Brown, Wood, Urbik, Pears. I have liked Pears in the past but he kind of lumbered out to the second level to make a block, so he gets the Slug Award today.

Some highlights of 11 on 11: Graham hauls in a 40 yard pass from EJ down to the 11, am Manny Lawson sack, Goodwin splitting 2 defenders, and a 50 yarder from EJ to I think Graham. Ron Brooks had a pass breakup on Easley, EJ sidestepping a sack and taking off, EJ avoiding MArio Williams sack and hitting Sampson (who's rising in our eyes)...

Drew Smith showed great acceleration upfield after catching a swing pass, Hopkins and Lindell trading 57 yard FGs, Lawson and Robey having too much fun on the sidelines to a rap song, Great play by CJ getting swing pass after Woods and Goodwin cleared the area,

EJ better at diagnosing now. Tuel still doing the pat pat pat at times. Nice pass to Lee Smith by EJ, then Chandler on the other side caught one. Dareus had a sack, the team had a sack, Freddy up the middle for 40.

Still see Graham on kick returns, with Goodwin and Sampson (for now, until he's cut) as backups. New wedge blockers in there today--Provo and Lee Smith were in there, with Jay Ross still in the middle.

A couple of new twists today--Here was the most interesting one: How would you like to be the DC trying to cover Marquise Goodwin outside of TJ Graham with CJ Spill,er lined up as a WR on the other side? OK, now add Fred Jackson in the backfield with EJ Manuel. Thought so.

Easley came back in the second 11 on 11 period with a pair of nifty grabs, Tuel to Easley for 25, then right back at ya for 15 more. EJ threw an on-the-money pass to Marquise for about 20 with Crezdon Butler in perfect position. My point is that EJ put the ball where only Goodwin could catch it, even with perfect protection. Da'Rick Rogers made a sweet catch on a Moulds-like slant route and shifted into 4th gear, goodbye. The 11 on 11 ended when Fred Jackson showed us he hasn't missed a step with a 40 yard run up the middle.

Snapshots:

---Meeks came up really quick on a swing pass to the RB and tackled him for a loss. He's been active on KR duty as a gunner, too; He'd have made one tackle on Graham today.

--Kyle Williams, Dareus, Mario, and Carrington each had a sack today.

--TJ Heath had 3 PBUs today, so a PS berth wouldn't surprise me. Crezdon Butler had a PBU against Marquise.

--Center Screens by CJ and FJ were big gainers.

--Lindell-Hopkins is a dead heat. They matched each other from 40 and 50 yards today. They still are trying to take out the video man; Lindell his his foot and Hopkins forced him to bat one away today.

--The Twos in 11 on 11 were Lawson, Troup, Branch, Blatnick, Bradham-Moats-Dowtin, TJ Heath-Rolle-Dangerfield-Ellis.

--Colin Brown is impressing me from the RG position in that he's getting to the 2nd level. I see a great pulling Guard in Urbik today.

--Saw Sinkfield's speed for the first time today, but was even more impressed at his ability to nab the low throw that Tuel made. Pass was good for a 25 yard gain. Maybe Tuel didn't expect Sinkfield to go that far?

--Gragg's back in my notes for a 30-yard hookup with Tuel.

--Tuel made a couple inaccurate throws, most notably one too high for Da'Rick. However, Tuel throws nice long passes (Yes I heard Hackett give credit to the receivers for some of those).

--Kolb supposedly comes back tonight. I've heard no word on if he'll play in Indy.

Thanks again to Mrs. Bot for dropping me off and picking me up!

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from buffalo rumblings

Down goes Gaskins

Undrafted rookie free agent running back Kendall Gaskins, who made a strong impression with solid running during Monday night's scrimmage, left practice early with what appeared to be a leg injury. Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com reported that Gaskins tried to go while clearly less than 100 percent with a wrap on his left leg, but that trainers pulled him out of individual drills early in the session. His health will be something to monitor closely for the next few days as he competes with Tashard Choice for the No. 3 running back job.

Bummer!

from buffalo rumblings

Down goes Gaskins

Undrafted rookie free agent running back Kendall Gaskins, who made a strong impression with solid running during Monday night's scrimmage, left practice early with what appeared to be a leg injury. Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com reported that Gaskins tried to go while clearly less than 100 percent with a wrap on his left leg, but that trainers pulled him out of individual drills early in the session. His health will be something to monitor closely for the next few days as he competes with Tashard Choice for the No. 3 running back job.

Badlandsmeanie is awesome on the BB website

Not to say you're not awesome too Astro, that goes without saying

Whoah, a triple negative. You blew my mind...

from buffalo rumblings

Down goes Gaskins

Thanks, Pooj!

Thanks as always Astro, gotta ask is this your job or somehow hooked to it?

Yep, I'm Bills Analyst for DraftTek. Also Editor. Also RB Analyst.

Doesn't pay the mortgage but it gets me to Las Vegas once a year for NFL Draft week.