Pettine's favorite flavor is not "vanilla"

eball

Mike Pettine was asked yesterday after practice if he's going to be vanilla during preseason so offenses don't get a look at his scheme. His answer? Something along the lines of, "we're a pressure defense. We'll pressure whenever we play."

To be fair, he also said the Bills would not necessarily "game plan" for preseason and would run "basic" stuff, but it sounds like we'll see plenty of blitzing during the exhibition games -- which should be fun to watch.

I read this simply. pettine is going to run base defenses and blitz packages from there.

His pressure is going to be assessed by what he can do with his base units. His front 3, 4 or 5

One package I have been scheming is a 2 man front with 5 linebackers. Aka. 2 men down in a stance. The rest standing. Give me a few days to design.

Good no point is running vanilla if you are not going to do it during the season. You want to see if these guys can handle it.

He isn't going to have Amoeba front like in practice but at least he can see who can get to the QB, who can put the pressure on, and who can cover when the pressure is coming.

Edited by BuffaloFood

I read this simply. pettine is going to run base defenses and blitz packages from there.

His pressure is going to be assessed by what he can do with his base units. His front 3, 4 or 5

One package I have been scheming is a 2 man front with 5 linebackers. Aka. 2 men down in a stance. The rest standing. Give me a few days to design.

http://forums.twobil...2775425 Will it be anything like this?? Psycho Formation referenced by Hopeful. Edited by BringBackFergy

ANYTHING. I repeat, ANYTHING... is better than watching Wanny's pathetic excuse for a defense. I do worry about our secondary if we don't have Byrd back.

I'm legitimately counting on Pettine to get us 2 more wins this year because of how HORRIBLE last year's defense was.

I think you're two down lineman have to be enormous.

The "Eagle 2-5", something the Rams ran back in the 80's(?) when they had so many DL injuries they couldn't do much else.

The "Eagle 2-5", something the Rams ran back in the 80's(?) when they had so many DL injuries they couldn't do much else.

You're right! That was 1989. I had season tickets that year. They were so goddamn vanilla, but somehow managed to pull off a playoff berth. But the big shocker was the spanking they gave to Buddy Ryan's Eagles that year in the wildcard game. Ryan - blowhard that he was - confidently predicted a victory over the Giants. But that was the NEXT week. He totally looked past the Rams, and they came at Cunningham with this weird 2-5 look that just messed with his head.

I'm going to copy-and-paste from Wikipedia, so as to attribute sources. I wasn't at the game, but watched it in amazement. As did Ryan:

"The Eagles offense, led by All-Pro quarterback Randall Cunningham had no answers for a unique zone implemented by Rams defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmer, who at times during the game only rushed two defenders and dropped everything back in coverage. Cunningham, while completing 24 of 40 passes, only threw underneath the zone for the majority of the game and simply was unable to get anything downfield".

Don't knock the 2-5. Cunningham was a hell of a QB. It messed him up something awful on a national stage.

You're right! That was 1989. I had season tickets that year. They were so goddamn vanilla, but somehow managed to pull off a playoff berth. But the big shocker was the spanking they gave to Buddy Ryan's Eagles that year in the wildcard game. Ryan - blowhard that he was - confidently predicted a victory over the Giants. But that was the NEXT week. He totally looked past the Rams, and they came at Cunningham with this weird 2-5 look that just messed with his head.

I'm going to copy-and-paste from Wikipedia, so as to attribute sources. I wasn't at the game, but watched it in amazement. As did Ryan:

"The Eagles offense, led by All-Pro quarterback Randall Cunningham had no answers for a unique zone implemented by Rams defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmer, who at times during the game only rushed two defenders and dropped everything back in coverage. Cunningham, while completing 24 of 40 passes, only threw underneath the zone for the majority of the game and simply was unable to get anything downfield".

Don't knock the 2-5. Cunningham was a hell of a QB. It messed him up something awful on a national stage.

That 2-5 zone would not work in today's NFL because modern tight ends are more athletic and used as a downfield threat, The mismatch created by two extra linebackers would be easily exploited, If the Bills have any hope in running a 2-5 scheme, then they need Troup to man up, Dareus to step up and big things from Branch. The only thing we are weaker at on defense than linebacker is defensive tackles.