My Dog STANKS!!!

ajzepp

It does make sense, cause the grass is very thick and healthy and it would easily go unnoticed. And I know I've seen all sorts of little critters around here...rabbits, lizards, etc.

Yep. There was one comment... I don't know what all the species are and their geograhical range. I know the largest concentrations of garters are up in Winnipeg, Interlake region. So, they are all over, warm to cold. But, somebody mentioned how nasty certain ones smelled... One mentioned was an "eastern something or 'nother." Of course your dog is curious and may have rolled in it, thinking, "Gee, this is great! Smell like Old Spice!" Except to us, it smells more like "Old Hobo!"

Musk is funny... It can be appealing... Of course from different animals (muskrat, N.America; musk deer, Asia) than garter snakes! They make fragrance from musk glands I am pretty sure... Or I think they did? My father claimed back in the day, hunting and trapping muskrat, the musk glands would add a decent odor when bagging/cleaning an animal??... Huh? When he would tell the stories, I am like "Okay... Yikes, that is where it comes from!"

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Gf says get lavender oil or rosemary oil and spray it on to help cover it. They sell a spray of cedar and rosemary that helps. It is also a natural flea repellent.

If you haven't yet use white vinegar when ya wash him.

Yeah, AJ just happens to have some lavender oil laying around, matter of fact it's right by the rosemary oil.

The snake or snakes may have musked in the grass and your dog rolled around in the funky stank!

:-O

Garter snakes are pretty pungent when frightened... And a dog will surely frighten them... I can usually handle them and not get musked... Depends how frightened it got AND the type of garter snake... And if it has been in captivity...

you say you "can usual handle" these snakes?

That doesn't sound good. Well, unless you are into that sort of thing.

FYI, this thread took a very wrong turn somewhere. Unless I was way off when I started. In that case, the story about rolling around in poop an even a dead bird..... Just forget it.