My Dog STANKS!!!

ajzepp

So my roommate took out our dog to do his business, and when he came back in the house she was half way through saying, "Can you smell him and see if he..." when I noticed a stench like I've never smelled before. The area we take him is a large patch of green grass surrounded on one side by the road (live in a gated apartment complex) and on the other by the tree line. He has always loved the grass out there, and as he sometimes does he apparently flopped over on his back and rolled around, kicking his legs up and making weird noises. But apparently this time he was rolling in something NASTY!! Even after we threw him in the bathtub and scrubbed him down we can still smell it a little.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? The smell is incredibly pungent and stubborn as hell. Sometimes there are small animals that get in through the fence, so I don't know if one of them has some new disgusting way to mark their territory or what, but this is really bad man...

Gf says get lavender oil or rosemary oil and spray it on to help cover it. They sell a spray of cedar and rosemary that helps. It is also a natural flea repellent.

If you haven't yet use white vinegar when ya wash him.

Edited by jboyst62

So you guys really think it was a skunk? This smells more like a rotten cheese type of smell...just really disgusting!!!

So you guys really think it was a skunk? This smells more like a rotten cheese type of smell...just really disgusting!!!

doesn't have to be a skunk, could just be stink...the stuff we said should still help.

Whoa. Roommate? A female roommate? When did this happen?

haha, you'd be proud...sorta :thumbsup:

How does the roommate Smell? Pics please.

:lol:

doesn't have to be a skunk, could just be stink...the stuff we said should still help.

Okay cool, I'll definitely take that advice...I just don't understand what this could possibly be.

Seriously, use Douche. It will neutralize the skunk or whatever, and since you have a "roommate" you don't have to buy it yourself.

Noted!

Noted!

Whenever my friend took his dog out to his place in Wellsville, the dog would get loose and find some cow patties to roll around in.

Edited by Wacka

IF it was a skunk, chances are he would be ill. Like very sluggish. Looking like he's sick. Just all around slow and grouchy. I was dog sitting as a kid. A Golden Retriever. He was skunked in our backyard and he looked sick for over a day when my uncle came to pick him up.

My dog now, has at times rolled around in the grass. At times she has rolled around in poop. Or even a dead bird. That's always a possibility. Just an FYI.

IF it was a skunk, chances are he would be ill. Like very sluggish. Looking like he's sick. Just all around slow and grouchy. I was dog sitting as a kid. A Golden Retriever. He was skunked in our backyard and he looked sick for over a day when my uncle came to pick him up.

My dog now, has at times rolled around in the grass. At times she has rolled around in poop. Or even a dead bird. That's always a possibility. Just an FYI.

Just when I thought the first part of your post was making me ill, then I read the second...thanks man lol

Whenever my friend took his dog out to his place in Wellsville, the dog would get loose and find some cow patties to roll around in.

That's what's werid...unless my roomie is withholding information to protect the innocent, the area he was going to the bathroom is a really thick, soft patch of grass...it's probably like 40' x 40' at least. People pick up after their pets really well and there wasn't anything visible in the grass (allegedly). I don't know if some sort of animal shot it's business or market its territory or what, but it's almost like someone took vermont sharp cheddar, put it between some hobo's toes, and then went back in a few months to smell it. I'm at a loss.

The snake or snakes may have musked in the grass and your dog rolled around in the funky stank!

:-O

Garter snakes are pretty pungent when frightened... And a dog will surely frighten them... I can usually handle them and not get musked... Depends how frightened it got AND the type of garter snake... And if it has been in captivity...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Here is a forum asking the question on what garter snake musk smells like:

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/7778-describe-smell-garter-snake-musk.html

"It's a very hard smell to describe but once you smell it you'll always know it.

It is unique and special."

"It is hard to explain, especially since it probably varies per species. My concinnus (red spotted garter) don't smell that bad. Honestly, it smells like... Almost kind of like slightly old whole milk, which is a bad smell to me. I'm lactose intolerant. It's not that bad though, not enough to make me angry over being musked by my beloved Snapdragon. My ordinoides(northwestern garter) have different smells. The worst is my yearling, Runt. Hers smells like a rotting carcass. Mama musked me once when I first caught her and she smelt like moldy compost. The smells aren't exactly that way, and I'm sure someone would describe them differently if they were to smell my snakes musk. Some snakes are extremely stinky and some don't smell bad at all."

Read that thread I posted AJ... It is 9 pages... Very fascinating...

Wow, the plot thickens! Great find, Exiled!

I was kinda wondering when you said: "Nice patch of grass." Read through that thread... Wow some snake geeks! And... The admin is a "snake babe!" LoL... The smell varies widely. A bunch of years ago, my son had a garter in a 10 gallon tank all winter... Even molted its skin! I brought it in from my work for him. We returned it to a pond in the cemetery behind our house, in April... Betcha that snake had lots of stories to tell his new friends he met! "Boy, guess where I was all winter! They even fed my Canadian night crawlers from Walmart!" LoL

I am betting it was a snake your dog tangled with or rolled around in the nasty discharge as the snake ran for it under the cover of the thick grass!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I was kinda wondering when you said: "Nice patch of grass." Read through that thread... Wow some snake geeks! And... The admin is a "snake babe!" LoL... The smell varies widely. A bunch of years ago, my son had a garter in a 10 gallon tank all winter... Even molted its skin! I brought it in from my work for him. We returned it to a pond in the cemetery behind our house, in April... Betcha that snake had lots of stories to tell his new friends he met! "Boy, guess where I was all winter! They even fed my Canadian night crawlers from Walmart!" LoL

I am betting it was a snake your dog tangled with or rolled around in the nasty discharge as the snake ran for it under the cover of the thick grass!

It does make sense, cause the grass is very thick and healthy and it would easily go unnoticed. And I know I've seen all sorts of little critters around here...rabbits, lizards, etc.