So What Would a Successful Season Be For EJ?

I hate the wording on this question, since you can go higher than anything realistic and still be entirely correct.

Semantics aside, I'd say that a reasonable minimal benchmark of success would be similar to Tannehill and the Dolphins: flashes of great play with some periods of slumps while building a rapport with the team, establishing himself as "the guy" and positioning himself for a good sophomore season. The Dolphins had a better defense in 2011 than we did in 2012 so there were fewer problems to fix. This is about as bad as it could get and still be called a "success"

Alternately, there's the "highly optimistic" level, where Pettine can take a talented group which underperformed, fill in the holes and get the defense to be...average. Combined with heavy doses of Spiller and Jackson, the pressure is off EJ. In this scenario, the Bills come out strong week 1 and without a great deal of tape for the Patriots to study, and with Gronk out the Patriots are low on receiving threats. They also face the Ravens during their Superbowl hangover and a depleted roster to take 2 wins against 2012 division leaders.

I don't see how anyone can realistically think this team is going to win 8-10 games.

It would obviously be great if they did but this is going to be yet another transition year with a new coaching staff and new systems on each side of the ball, new QBs and an offensive line that lost one of if not its best players

The defense should be improved just by the style they will play but I still see stopping the run as a big problem

It wouldn't be *easy* mind you, but as PTR mentioned, the Bills went 6-10 with a poor defensive scheme, wildly inaccurate QB play and a refusal to do the smart thing and RUN THE DAMN BALL when you have CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson.

Less than 35% of TBD calling for his job head job head job at the end of the season. (We are not that angry of a mob, are we?)

No comment

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a "know-it-when-I-see-it" confirmation that we have a quarterback. I don't follow the numbers too closely in season (W-L aside). But I want the sense that he is an honest to goodness quarterback when I watch him play, one that allows the coach to gameplan to take advantage of his skills, rather than trying to cover his weaknesses. One who isn't a good story waiting for skills that will never develop. That would be success for me.

We haven't had that in some time. Bledsoe, I guess.

kj

Win-Loss records belong to teams; not quarterbacks.

True. And yet, the Bills project to have a good defense, a great, explosive RB to help out, and a talented WR corps. It's unlikely that a good rookie season from EJ would result in less than 7 wins. Maybe some of these assumptions end up being wrong -- the defense disappoints, Spiller gets injured early, etc -- at which point we can re-evaluate what win totals mean. But to me, if EJ is the "QB of the future", he's going to get 7+ wins this season. In the current NFL, QBs that have "it" -- and the Bills have certainlly advertised EJ as having "it" -- will come in and play well right away.

True. And yet, the Bills project to have a good defense, a great, explosive RB to help out, and a talented WR corps. It's unlikely that a good rookie season from EJ would result in less than 7 wins. Maybe some of these assumptions end up being wrong -- the defense disappoints, Spiller gets injured early, etc -- at which point we can re-evaluate what win totals mean. But to me, if EJ is the "QB of the future", he's going to get 7+ wins this season. In the current NFL, QBs that have "it" -- and the Bills have certainlly advertised EJ as having "it" -- will come in and play well right away.

Payton Manning had 1 win in his rookie year. So what you saying ?? :nana:

Seriously, I would be happy 6 or 7 wins this year as long as they start E.J. first game. The team is in transition . Anything more than that would be impressive if they can pull it off.

I except them to be be in every game they play this year. They got 6 wins last year and were poorly coached team. I expect a slow start and a strong finish.

Even if Fitz was still here, I'd be shocked at anything less than 9 wins. The team is better, as is the coaching staff. If EJ plays smart (I'm confident that he will) and doesn't turn the ball over, this is a much better team than a year ago. The wins and losses hinge on the defense way more than they do on EJ Manuel, IMO.

regardless of the wins, by the end of the year there is no doubt this guy is THE guy

If we win less than 4 games I can guarantee it we will be shouting EJ is a bust from the roof tops.

I would say if he is not a turnover machine and effectively run the offense. We hold onto and win games when we are ahead and come back in the 4th Q to win a couple. Good solid play and LEADERSHIP. 8 wins. That would mean a successful season for EJ in my book.

3,294 yards 12 Td's 13 Int's. Well Miami tells me this would mean he is going to be elite!

I wonder if we could get SDS etc. to make the above part of the header for this site? :lol:

In case you don't know: Those are Tannehill, Miami rookie QB, #s from last year. And, yeah, the media seems to have bought into Tannehill as, at least, a "going to be good" QB. The question I have is: if EJ gets similar #s, will this standard hold, or, will the media, both local and national, move the goalposts on EJ?

Something tells me the latter. You think Todd "wasted pick" McShay doesn't have a van with new goalposts inside, all gassed up and ready to go?

You think the posters here who kept clinging to the now-fanciful "we could have traded down again" theory, don't have the other goalposts in their van?

They are still butthurt, and EJ messing up makes them look right = could have gotten him in the 2nd or later. (Even though they never actually will be, because the risk of teams moving up into the 1st/early 2nd to get EJ has been confirmed as real, and, the plan was designed with that risk in mind.) You know who you are. :lol: McShay knows who he is.

Or, we could call just call BS on Miami right now, and say that the only thing Tannehill #s indicate is: mediocre QB.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Play 16 weeks in good health and be a better QB on week 16 than he was on week 1.

people who write in numbers don't get it.

The statement above is really good

Having the game slow down as the season continues and mistakes made early in the season not repeated because EJ has recognized similar situations, defenses, coverage's, etc.

Play 16 weeks in good health and be a better QB on week 16 than he was on week 1.

Yup. Stats and wins are secondary this season. Showing that he can adjust to the speed and complexity of the pro game is what will give me hope for future success.

For a rookie QB to be successful, the team needs to win with a strong defense and a excellent running game. The coaches must be committed to protect the rookie QB and put the offense on the shoulders of the Veteran RBs. If EJ can avoid the big mistakes and manage the game, he can start taking on bigger loads as the season goes by. This is what will make EJ a successful QB. Both Ben and Brady had mediocre rookie seasons with respect to stats, but they had the right numbers on the WIN column.

EJ will be successful when he finally comes to grips with the fact that his jersey number should be "#1" because that's where he was drafted...until then, I would be happy with 20 passing TD's, 15 INT's and 5 Rushing TD's.

Edited by BringBackFergy

If he were to start and play the entire season, What would a "successful" season look like for EJ? Wins, TD's/Int's, Yds...

You know I am not going to worry about it and I am not going to put #'s on it. All I want to see is improvement and legitimate hope for the future. I pray the fans don't give this kid a ton of crap IF he doesn't do what Scam Newton did or the guys from last year did numbers wise. This TEAM is not ready to make a Seattle/ San Fran turn around yet nor even a Washington one. But I do feel we are now starting to get there with this years draft, the coaching staff etc.

I agree with PTR, I think we can win 8 games this year. Personally It would not shock me at all with any competent coaching and the fact Manuel can throw a deep ball, if we won 9 games this year and challenged for a Wild Card spot.

You know I am not going to worry about it and I am not going to put #'s on it. All I want to see is improvement and legitimate hope for the future. I pray the fans don't give this kid a ton of crap IF he doesn't do what Scam Newton did or the guys from last year did numbers wise. This TEAM is not ready to make a Seattle/ San Fran turn around yet nor even a Washington one. But I do feel we are now starting to get there with this years draft, the coaching staff etc.

I agree with PTR, I think we can win 8 games this year. Personally It would not shock me at all with any competent coaching and the fact Manuel can throw a deep ball, if we won 9 games this year and challenged for a Wild Card spot.

Why do you call Newton, "Scam Newton?"

Because he is a POS that scammed the Panthers into taking him #1. I can't stand the guy, he should haven't have been allowed to go to Aubrn after the BS he pulled at Florida. I just can't stand the guy

What!?!?!?

I love me some cam newton. Best young qb in the game

Because he is a POS that scammed the Panthers into taking him #1. I can't stand the guy, he should haven't have been allowed to go to Aubrn after the BS he pulled at Florida. I just can't stand the guy

Exactly what BS at Florida are you talking about?

And how does a college athlete scam a team into taking him #1, anyway?