Interview suggestions?

Couple thoughts:

1. Think about what kind of questions you can ask that will show that you are already thinking like someone in the regional manager position. Can't tell you exactly what to ask - - but you want to give the impression that you've already thought about how to switch from (1) managing worker bees, to (2) managing other managers. It could be as simple as asking the interviewer how he/she made that same transition.

2. Afterwards, send a simple, direct, non-brown nosing email to the person(s) who interviewed you thanking them for answering your questions and re-affirming that you want the new position. In this thank you email, less is more.

Anyway, that's my 2 drachma - - Good Luck!

Think about these things before the interview and form ?'s from them:

What is the key skill (your opinion) needed to succeed in the regional manager's position?

What experiences have you had working with/for regional managers?

Is there a written set of job descriptions/expectations/objectives for regional manager?

How, and how often, is the regional manager position evaluated, what are the criteria?

1. If at all possible talk with the outgoing manager to find out the ins and outs of the job. Where did they struggle, excel, and what barriers did they face. Come up with ways you won't struggle and can improve what is already going on.

2. Research everything you can about the position. Know the job description. Have ways that you will accomplish the job description.

3. Figure out your strengths and why you would be a good for the job. I work in h.r. And you wouldn't believe how many people aren't prepared for this question.

4. Do you guys have an internal website? Or a way to get your hands on the mission statement? Learn it and explain how you will help the company accomplish it.

5. Google sample interview questions for the job you want. Many interviewers have no idea what they are doing and ask generic questions. Have your wife, significant other, for friend ask you these question. Answering out loud while practicing will allow you to hear the answer and know whether it was a good one.

Basically practice and prepare for the interview like crazy. External candidates won't be able to have the knowledge you do or can get and other internals may not prep as hard as you do. Good luck!

Ask the interviewer if he knows who won the Last Post Wins thread.

Thanks for your input Dc. While brilliant question, yes, honestly I dont think they will care about this you yabba dabba wednesday.

Couple thoughts:

1. Think about what kind of questions you can ask that will show that you are already thinking like someone in the regional manager position. Can't tell you exactly what to ask - - but you want to give the impression that you've already thought about how to switch from (1) managing worker bees, to (2) managing other managers. It could be as simple as asking the interviewer how he/she made that same transition.

2. Afterwards, send a simple, direct, non-brown nosing email to the person(s) who interviewed you thanking them for answering your questions and re-affirming that you want the new position. In this thank you email, less is more.

Anyway, that's my 2 drachma - - Good Luck!

I didnt think about that. That could be interesting. I'm going to put them on the hot seat. Not me. Eff them.

Less is more. I got you. Not that I would, but I could see some candidates basically repeating their points over and over again in their thank you email.

1. If at all possible talk with the outgoing manager to find out the ins and outs of the job. Where did they struggle, excel, and what barriers did they face. Come up with ways you won't struggle and can improve what is already going on.

2. Research everything you can about the position. Know the job description. Have ways that you will accomplish the job description.

3. Figure out your strengths and why you would be a good for the job. I work in h.r. And you wouldn't believe how many people aren't prepared for this question.

4. Do you guys have an internal website? Or a way to get your hands on the mission statement? Learn it and explain how you will help the company accomplish it.

5. Google sample interview questions for the job you want. Many interviewers have no idea what they are doing and ask generic questions. Have your wife, significant other, for friend ask you these question. Answering out loud while practicing will allow you to hear the answer and know whether it was a good one.

Basically practice and prepare for the interview like crazy. External candidates won't be able to have the knowledge you do or can get and other internals may not prep as hard as you do. Good luck!

Super advice Section. Thanks!! All your points are perfect.

Specially point 3. I can lift about 30 pounds. I hope they take that into consideration. I wouldnt want Arnold Schwartznickle to come in and be able to lift more than 30 pounds. Then I'd be doomed.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

You guys are smart as hell. So let me use your brain.

I'm currently a manager and looking to become a regional within the same company.

Interview pending.

Any suggestions for the interview or brilliant questions that I must ask to impress?

http://myinterviewsimulator.com/

Here is an interview simulator. Geared towards interviewing for a job with a different company but many questions will be the same, especially the behavioral interview questions. I've found that at least I'm more prepared for interviews and not as nervous since using it (lost my job last year at the age of 56, not easy looking)

Along with the strengths question above, be prepared for weaknesses question. Suggest you use some portion of the job that your skills may be weak in rather than a personality trait that you may not think is important but the interviewer might.

Questions to ask (not sure if these have been posted or not, apologies if they have)

What are the biggest challenges or obstacles the person in this position will face?

Can you describe a typical day or week in the position?

What would a successful first year in the position look like?

How will the success of the person in this position be measured?

How would you describe your management style?

Thinking back to people who have been in this position previously, what differentiated the ones who were good from the ones who were really great?

http://myinterviewsimulator.com/

Here is an interview simulator. Geared towards interviewing for a job with a different company but many questions will be the same, especially the behavioral interview questions. I've found that at least I'm more prepared for interviews and not as nervous since using it (lost my job last year at the age of 56, not easy looking)

Along with the strengths question above, be prepared for weaknesses question. Suggest you use some portion of the job that your skills may be weak in rather than a personality trait that you may not think is important but the interviewer might.

Questions to ask (not sure if these have been posted or not, apologies if they have)

What are the biggest challenges or obstacles the person in this position will face?

Can you describe a typical day or week in the position?

What would a successful first year in the position look like?

How will the success of the person in this position be measured?

How would you describe your management style?

Thinking back to people who have been in this position previously, what differentiated the ones who were good from the ones who were really great?

Love all your questions. The first one is gold. I love your point on weaknesses.

It's asked. So best be prepared to answer it.

I personally thought I had to talk about myself. Kinda like the question implies. But mentioning a weakness from the position or part of the job will be much better. (And I have it already in mind)

If they still insist on a personal trait. I'll just say that I talk too much. But I'll turn that into a strengh since it's a sales position anyway.

Or what is the "best" weakness to have. Not being content? Sex with coworkers? Greed? Workaholic?

Oh and thanks for the input everyone. Keep em coming.

Update

I was told I could interview if I still wanted, but they want someone with a ba. All i have is an associates degree I got at El Camino Community college.

What sucks is that my current regional has a high school diploma only. He was the regional before a big merger in 2007. So he's excluded from new rules.

I work at one of those companies where the top head never quit/resign/get fired/leave. So basically it's manager for the time being. I get 5k college money every year. Maybe it's that time to do the online thing. I've been putting off. Damn. Curse. Damn. Curse.

Ps. It's a fortune 500 company. Very corporate. Glad I dont work at one of the corporate offices. If I interview, I would impress them, without a doubt. However, I wouldnt meet the requirements, so I would just be wasting time.

Update

I was told I could interview if I still wanted, but they want someone with a ba. All i have is an associates degree I got at El Camino Community college.

What sucks is that my current regional has a high school diploma only. He was the regional before a big merger in 2007. So he's excluded from new rules.

I work at one of those companies where the top head never quit/resign/get fired/leave. So basically it's manager for the time being. I get 5k college money every year. Maybe it's that time to do the online thing. I've been putting off. Damn. Curse. Damn. Curse.

Ps. It's a fortune 500 company. Very corporate. Glad I dont work at one of the corporate offices. If I interview, I would impress them, without a doubt. However, I wouldnt meet the requirements, so I would just be wasting time.

Not a waste at all. Best case you knock their socks off and they waive the requirement. Worst case you gain experience for the next interview. Mention that you are planning to enroll in an online program and working on your degree ( you need to do this and not lie).

Bring up in the interview that you are successful in your position and could be successful with the promotion. Mention that there are examples within your own company of people being successful without a degree. This is a tough situation but it is not an unnavigable one.

Update

Shoulda asked him about the Last Post Wins thread. :rolleyes:

Update

Definitely not a waste of time. Do it.

Update

How long have you been working there? If it's been a number of years tell them to stick their BA up their ass! I've been with my firm for 12 years and have been a Regional VP for almost 5 years with an Associates Degree in Culinary Arts. Your college degree has zero to do with how well you perform at your position especially when it comes to managing people.

How long have you been working there? If it's been a number of years tell them to stick their BA up their ass! I've been with my firm for 12 years and have been a Regional VP for almost 5 years with an Associates Degree in Culinary Arts. Your college degree has zero to do with how well you perform at your position especially when it comes to managing people.

Rocking an Associate's here, too, and I've done fine moving upward within my company. Results and work experience count.