So sick and tired of (most) local Buffalo media guys...

eball

I'm looking for football news on the Bills --- Dareus' critical 3rd season; will Gilmore be a lockdown corner; how is Kyle William's health; the rookie WR's; the QB etc. etc. ----

Im sure those stories are being written, I don't believe press conferences are held for fans entertainment.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oddly enough, there are those who would then proceed for villifying the media for being too soft on the Bills in failing to get answers in regards to Mario Williams. ... we just can't win, can't we. ... as for your suggestion of 30 other story lines going on in camp, i dare say that there are few story lines that involve a player who has a history of injury trouble and was hailed as a franchise saviour, essentially holding all of Western New York breathless for two-plus days before signing a 6-year, $100 million contract.

you're right. the Crezdon Butler piece was more pressing here.

jw

you're back. cool. good timing.

jw

Who would be vilifying you for that? Surely no reasonable person. You were clearly not going to get a response on the topic. As big a deal as MW is for the reasons you mentioned, it's not like we are talking about a potential season-ending injury that Marrone is avoiding answering questions about. So, sure, hit us with a Crezdon Butler update. At least it is guaranteed to get a much more eloquent response from the Coach, and therefore provide insight on something. More productive then turning the 3rd presser of training camp into a pissing contest that you can't win.

Im sure those stories are being written, I don't believe press conferences are held for fans entertainment.

I bet the producers and editors of every media outlet in the world would beg to differ.

everyone just needs to chill out. Who cares it really is a non story Im not going to sit here and laud Marone or laud Wawrow because it has nothing to do with what I care about. For the fans who really care about the team and have to work we want to know what is happening in training camp, not whether or not Mario can put his jock on.

As big a deal as MW is for the reasons you mentioned, it's not like we are talking about a potential season-ending injury that Marrone is avoiding answering questions about.

how sure are/were you of that 8 hours ago. and if Mario did indeed travel to get a second opinion on his foot, then how serious might it have been. after all, this was a player who last year was hamstrung by a mere "wrist" injury. but please, continue on. i did not turn the third presser of training camp into a pissing contest.

That's it. Not answering any more questions regarding shills until I get confirmation of the true definition from Webster

just ask Chandler#81. he'll show you my picture.

and with that, i'm done for the night.

no offense taken.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

i did not turn the third presser of training camp into a pissing contest.

jw

No, you didn't. But Graham and a slew of other local media people ran with a story painting Marrone as a hot head using edited footage to support that image.

WGR actually played the entire exchange and I commend both you and Marrone for regaining composure - although I hesitate to imply that Marrone lacked composure at any point.

JW- I think you're a great reporter and it's a shame you seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back, but I also think that parts of "doing your job" are antagonistic. So I think it's fair to criticize the media as a whole for manufacturing a story. Because Marrone would have no reason to "grow annoyed" if you guys weren't annoying. Again, I recognize your right to be annoying, and that the "badgering" can result in stories. But I still don't think the story should be, "Look at Marrone's Reaction to Us."

Rather than headlines reading "Marrone is Annoyed," IMO a better one might be "Marrone Doesn't Have Answers on Mario's Status." If you or others want to insinuate Marrone isn't being forthcoming, write it in your story and cite evidence. To questions a man's integrity- to his face- and then act shocked that he has a mild reaction seems a little sensationalist to me.

Regardless, keep up the good work. I'm a big fan, and I hope my post helps you better understand where this criticism is coming from. I don't envy your position as a public figure, and have the utmost respect that you are willing to face such criticism and even enter into a dialogue about said criticisms.

Edited by uncle flap

Thanks very much. Appreciate the knocks and the support.

jw

JW I personally feel like you did your job but media made Marrone getting upset a bigger deal than it should have been. I do though have a question you may or may not be able to answer.

How will this affect your relationship going forward? Does today bother you going forward, or is it no big deal for you, and others blew it out of proportion? Just curious on your feelings on the situation. Thanks

...nothing but axes to grind. I now focus on reading/listening to Joe Buscaglia, Sal Capaccio, or Mark Gaughan if I want to find something insightful. I thought Wawrow was in that group as well, but the nonsense today after camp practice has him seemingly falling into the same trap that caught Sullivan, Graham, and Maiorana long ago.

I think this stems largely from the new Bills organization's reluctance to put everything out there like the previous regimes. There's more of an "us against the world" mentality in house at OBD, and the media guys don't like it. They're pissed that John Murphy and Chris Brown get the player interviews first. Unfortunately, instead of focusing on what's actually going on with the team, they're manufacturing controversy and snarking their way around the newspaper and Twittersphere.

Nice topic and post eball. It goes back to the days when the Bills weren't on WGR and would always get trashed by them. I realize that they have been bad for a while but no need to constantly throw stones. I would rather read insightful commentary on the progress of the young guys.

Just a little addition to the topic -- Graham blocked me on twitter today, for of all things commenting that the local media was scooped by national guys on Mario's status. Blocked me! Tell me there isn't an attitude there.

i'll let you be the judge in regards to whether i was, as you put it, "ripping at Marrone" earlier in the day.

i posted a Tweet on my Twitter account in reference to Marrone's comment from a day earlier that he was hesitant to reveal too much about Mario's injury in fear of breaking any FERPA regulations. I merely wrote, and I quote:

"for those curious, coach Marrone's fear of violating FERPA laws in revealing Mario injury info applies only to colleges."

that was all.

in fact, an hour later, I tweeted this, which may come as a surprise to some in how positive it was:

"#Bills QB EJ continues to show improvement in hitting throws he struggled with in minicamp. Nice out to Stevie."

jw

No, that's not ripping. Thank you for responding

1) it's football- it's a hot headed sport to begin with

2) Coaches have to protect their players, reporters have to dig. Do reporters and coaches have their faults? Well, yes but refer to #1

I'll go back to my premise that that Internet trolls suck.

...nothing but axes to grind. I now focus on reading/listening to Joe Buscaglia, Sal Capaccio, or Mark Gaughan if I want to find something insightful. I thought Wawrow was in that group as well, but the nonsense today after camp practice has him seemingly falling into the same trap that caught Sullivan, Graham, and Maiorana long ago.

I think this stems largely from the new Bills organization's reluctance to put everything out there like the previous regimes. There's more of an "us against the world" mentality in house at OBD, and the media guys don't like it. They're pissed that John Murphy and Chris Brown get the player interviews first. Unfortunately, instead of focusing on what's actually going on with the team, they're manufacturing controversy and snarking their way around the newspaper and Twittersphere.

eball, for the most part I agree with your sentiment...but I hardly think this is just the "Buffalo sports media" that is guilty of what you speak of. Let's face it, sports get an obscene amount of attention from media, and it just entertainment. Condemn the reporter for getting under Marrones' skin, but look at the reaction from so many fans when it was learned that Mario Williams would miss the first practice...look at the embarrassing obsession so many had with Marios' off the field romantic woes...its' what we have become...ESPN has built an empire on this.

These reporters just feed off of what we are interested in, as a collective. As Doug Marrone pointed out, correctly, they are doing their job... controversy, real or fabricated, is what seems to drive everything these days. Not to get too far out there, but we saw it with Tim Tebow and the Jets last football season... and we (I am as guilty as anyone, I am not talking down to anyone here) eat it up...until the next "controversy" erupts. I suspect (hope) all the hub-bub about Mario Williams will die down, as soon as he takes the practice field for a few days, and has no further issues...

Edited by Buftex

The Buffalo media continues it's lazy journalism. Take a poll of things people are interested in...if you exclude Rex Ryan from the poll, you have about four people who care about Mario's feet.

You'd think after the 3rd time, the reporter would have realized he wasn't going to get any information.

Lets not lose sight of the fact that all of the Buffalo media is essentially competing against each other to get a "scoop". A press conference is a feeding frenzy of writers all trying to frantically gulp down information.

They're like baby birds fighting for morsels from mamma birds mouth!

Just a little addition to the topic -- Graham blocked me on twitter today, for of all things commenting that the local media was scooped by national guys on Mario's status. Blocked me! Tell me there isn't an attitude there.

This. I know it's been said over and over but dude acts like a 8 year old who is taking his ball and going home. A less than 5 min scanning of his twitter feed confirms.

what's funny about all this, is some fans actually get it. the best tweet of today, i think, was this:

Michael Necci@Michael_Necci 8h

Marrone doing his job protecting his player & team, and @john_wawrow doing his job in questioning. Keep it moving people.

funny, how this person seems to get it, while some here are busy trying to establish blame, a winner, a loser(s), and parse agendas.

geez, guess there's some people outside this board (i don't know if he is or not) who have a better perspective on how things work than here. but that's just my opinion.

jw

shillin for Michael Necci.

EBall is in a small but vocal group of Bills fans who blame the Bills problems in great part on outside forces like fans with negative opinions of the organization, the critical media, NFL scheduling conspiracies, curses, electromagnetic fields, UFO's etc..

Actual organizational accountability is not part of the solution to them. They believe if they can keep all outside forces as silent and still as possible that the team will finally be free to execute the task at hand.

Hence, this ridiculous "look at my important opnion that was already expressed by other likeminded lemmings a dozen times in the other thread" thread. :thumbdown: