Astro-Notes: July 30 Practice

Good stuff!

I liked the insight on the drills - thank God we're actually seeing a change! Clearly whatever they were doing before wasn't working.

This young WR corps is getting me excited. Sounds like TJ is ready to step up and Woods is a "stud" (Kolb's words). Should be interesting to see where the rest of the guys sake out...

Thanks for taking the time Astro.

Any notes on who is standing out at QB?

We're only 2 days into training camp so I think its still up in the air. To me, EJ clearly looked better today. A lot of his stuff was short throws but they were released quick and made it accurately to the receivers in stride. Early on his throws were low and in a few cases a bit behind the receiver. I was VERY impressed with Robert Woods and Marquise Goodman made one helluva grab. Gragg made a few grabs. Kid almost looks more like a WR than a TE. Another name you dont hear but the kid must have caught a dozen balls today #15..Chris Hogan. Kolb had to throw a few balls away when no one was open. He seemed to take a bit too long getting rid of it today I thought. He is very vocal out there and appears to have a good command of the huddle. Man there was one play where Kiko blitzed from the left side. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon. EJ completed the pass but would have been crushed had it been a real play. Shawn Powell was dropping punts from the stratosphere. He did muff one but man that kid can kick. TJ muffed a punt. He was peeking, the ball went thru his arms and o/b at around the two. I sat right next to Howard Simon. He must have scribbled 4 pages of notes.

Edited by jaybee

We're only 2 days into training camp so I think its still up in the air. To me, EJ clearly looked better today. A lot of his stuff was short throws but they were released quick and made it accurately to the receivers in stride. Early on his throws were low and in a few cases a bit behind the receiver. I was VERY impressed with Robert Woods and Marquise Goodman made one helluva grab. Gragg made a few grabs. Kid almost looks more like a WR than a TE. Another name you dont hear but the kid must have caught a dozen balls today #15..Chris Hogan. Kolb had to throw a few balls away when no one was open. He seemed to take a bit too long getting rid of it today I thought. He is very vocal out there and appears to have a good command of the huddle. Man there was one play where Kiko blitzed from the left side. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon. EJ completed the pass but would have been crushed had it been a real play. Shawn Powell was dropping punts from the stratosphere. He did muff one but man that kid can kick. TJ muffed a punt. He was peeking, the ball went thru his arms and o/b at around the two. I sat right next to Howard Simon. He must have scribbled 4 pages of notes.

Wait. Powell muffed his own punt? That borders on superhuman!

GO BILLS!!!

I'll throw my two cents in since I was also at practice today. The pace was much slower today than it was yesterday from what I heard. The first part of practice was spent going over assignments(defensively and special teams) while the offense worked on drill work with their respective position coaches. They also had a 5 minute period where both Punters were kicking towards the end zone. Both of the punters have big time legs but Powell was more consistent as the kid from OkState shanked a couple of them off the side of his foot. Both McKelving and Graham muffed one of the punts.

As for the 7 on 7 work, the defense dialed up the pressure as Dowtin stripped C.J. Spiller on the first carry and caught it out of the air. This most likely would have been taken back for 6 but you never know. In my opinion, Manuel was by far better than Kevin Kolb today. He looked like he had better command of the huddle, he looked like he had the playbook down(besides one busted play), and when he made throws he was by far more consistent with the football. Manuel's only really bad pass of the day was his first one. He threw a pass over the middle which he sailed because he threw off his back foot. Other than that, during the team work portion the Bills quarterback's tended to focus on the short passing game. There were not many balls in team work that went over 15 yards today. The exception was a pretty pass on a wheel route down the sideline that Manuel hooked up with Chris Gragg.

Kolb had a rough day. He should have been picked by Da'Norris Searcy but he butterfingered it for an incompletion. A lot of other times either he was not making the right reads, his offensive line was getting blown up, or his WR's were not getting open because a lot of the time he either took off and ran or threw the ball away on numerous occasions today. He also drew an intentional grounding penalty( refs were at the practice).

Robert Woods post corner route was a thing of beauty. He shook Brooks not once but twice on the route and even if it was just a post route he would have had Brooks toasted anyways. The long ball that was talked about earlier from E.J. Manuel that was called a TD was actually an incomplete pass. This could fall on Woods I guess but he laid out for it with arms fully stretched and looked like he had it. When he flipped over you saw the ball on his back with one hand on it but the ref in position called it an incomplete pass.

Stevie had his typical workmanlike day. Graham was kind of quiet. Rogers made a few catches, but the big day went to Woods and the tight ends. All of the tight ends caught quite a few balls today with the most impressive being Gragg's as talked about earlier.

The defense really cranked up the heat tonight. If you watch the Jets defense, that is exactly what your going to get this year. The Bills were sending multiple LB's from many spots. Alonso is quick and athletic as he does have a thin frame though. He would have had a QB sack as well as Marcus Dowtin to go with his strip of Spiller. Aaron Williams continues to be impressive as he just looks overly comfortable at the FS spot compared to CB. Stephon Gilmore was not locking down his man today. He didn't have a bad day but lets just say that receivers were catching passes against him when apparently no one was catching anything yesterday. He was flagged for PI a couple times as well. Mario Williams was not at practice today and Kyle Williams didn't participate during team work as well.

Being unable to attend the practices, I really appreciate the updates and honest opinions Astro! Thanks for the pick me up. Got my night tickets for August 9th. Cant make it tomorrow but keep em coming!

ditto, thanks Astro

Thanks astro and gonzo. It seems like I check TSW 5 times an hour waiting for these posts. Makes my day (sad, but true). Crazy how training camp has changed over the years. I attended almost every day of training camp from 1981 (I was 7, but I loved it) to 1990 and just remember waiting by the street for the players to leave their dorm and head into the facility, then sprint over to them asking for autographs. Always hoping they wouldn't be in a golf cart trying to avoid the swarm.

I will miss tomorrow's practice. Somebody pick me up and report, OK?

Great work, Astro. You're not missing practice tomorrow because of sore toes, are you?

Frankly I'm a little disappointed Astro. The day the pads are going on you're taking off? That doesn't scream dedication to me! Sore toes or not! :doh:

Really though Astro add me to the list of appreciative of the posts. Gives us all a lot that we wont otherwise get. Thanks to you and anyone else doing it. I will give you credit though for using tomorrows date to try to conceal your absence also :thumbsup:

Edited by beerme1

Thanks Astro and also to all the fans who've posted their account of things in this thread.

It's great reading people's interpretation of events and I love cross-referencing all the posts to see if consensus is developing in any areas.

One constant theme in all these accounts is that the kid Hogan is looking good even though Kauffman has been considered the prime WR sleeper.

Also it seems that everyone's in agreement that Aaron Williams has looked good.