Brad Smith Renegotiates Contract

Lots of people on THIS BOARD thought he'd be gone. He is a good football player and now that we have a coaching staff his value will become evident fairly quickly. Keep in mind..... many of these dweebs are fantasy football losers. There is a difference between knowledgeable fans and fantasy dweebs. Fantasy dweebs are gamblers. Nothing more. Know little about the game. Route against their own team to make 2 dollars. Zero's every one of em in my opinion.

The Buffalo Bills are a better football team with Brad Smith on the roster. Period.

Too much coffee tonight?

What an asinine, broad brush picture you've painted for an entire group of people, all of whom play fantasy football for various reasons. Some for money, some for fun, some to have a diversion from their lousy team. I've been involved with it since 1987, before it was even popular...before fantasy magazines and websites littered the landscape. In all that time, I've never pulled for one of my teams or players over the Bills. Never. Ever. I rarely play anyone against the Bills and, when I do, it's somebody like Aaron Rodgers who's going to get his points no matter how much I cheer for or against him or because I have no other options to play at a certain position. I'm perfectly fine with getting no points against the Bills. In fact, I'd prefer it, that's why I try to avoid playing anyone against them. As far as gambling goes, all of my teams are in free Yahoo! leagues with nothing but bragging rights at stake except for one...that's the league my brother & I have had with some local friends since '87 and the money involved is basically enough to cover the cost of running the league and paying for the website. Knowing little about the game? There are plenty of non-fantasy players who fall into that category, as well. I love football and have been following it and the NFL long before I ever played fantasy football and probably long before you were crapping in your diapers.

BTW, I've never understood the hatred for Brad Smith and am fine with him on the team. In fact, that's my preference. As Kelly said, up thread, Smith is experienced, brings versatility to the table, and the Bills are better with him.

Maybe your next diatribe can be against XBox/PS3/Madden enthusiasts. Surely, none of them know as much about football as you either.

Perhaps decaf in the future?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will hold off for some motivation to say what I think but I am happy the Bills did this. I don't need trick plays in 2013. I need Brad Smith leading this team and I need 1st downs.

Anyone else find it interesting that a Ravens reporter broke this?

If its true, either the local guys are snoozing or OBD is in super stealth mode.

where is Brad Smith from? Did this guy ever work with him somewhere else? Yeah. Interesting.

If its true, either the local guys are snoozing or OBD is in super stealth mode.

There are other possible explanations including the reporter has a friend in the Bills organization or an "in" with Brad Smith.

There are other possible explanations including the reporter has a friend in the Bills organization or an "in" with Brad Smith.

he was at Tempo and sat next to Luke Russerts mom who got a text from Chris Trapposo who was at home listening to Incarcerated blob while getting coffee out of the freezer, freshly ground of course, that sourced ESPN twitter that was backed by Pat Moran making a run for the border at Taco Bell...that. F5

It is no surprise another team's report broke this.

Few of the local Bills reporters you would trust with a sharp item, even a pencil, and not stab a player in the back.

The are even more jaded than fans and if *I* was involved in the Bills and needed to deal with the press I'd assuming the piranha biting the hand feeding it was not accidentally doing it but holding on to it while calling its friends.

We have Sulking 'Sour' Sullivan and Rochester D&C bunch who tries to sell despair and makes it sound like candy,

WGR since they have gotten back the flagship station of the Bills have gone from almost complete idiots to only occasional idiots.

As I understand nothing can be done with Byrd at this point. It's a one year deal with some composite average of top players at his spot. He will likely hold out as long as he can. Tough situation

However, all the advantage is *WITH* the BILLS. They Bills are prepared to carry a cap of 6.9M for the Franchise tag (And they will carry that only if Byrd signs the 1-year tender). The Bills don't have to do anything. I am sure they can play with their 4th round pick. It is Byrd who is going to be sweating. He is already behind in the play book. Plus has zero reps in this system. And if the 4th rd pick does play well, then he may not even have a place on this defense. The Bills could simply refuse to add the "no-franchise-tag" clause and then trade him to the highest bidder (if that is what Byrd wants). Otherwise, Byrd could sign the tender, report to camp and have an outstanding year and then renegotiate a better contract next year.

However, all the advantage is *WITH* the BILLS. They Bills are prepared to carry a cap of 6.9M for the Franchise tag (And they will carry that only if Byrd signs the 1-year tender). The Bills don't have to do anything. I am sure they can play with their 4th round pick. It is Byrd who is going to be sweating. He is already behind in the play book. Plus has zero reps in this system. And if the 4th rd pick does play well, then he may not even have a place on this defense. The Bills could simply refuse to add the "no-franchise-tag" clause and then trade him to the highest bidder (if that is what Byrd wants). Otherwise, Byrd could sign the tender, report to camp and have an outstanding year and then renegotiate a better contract next year.

??? Thought this was a post about Brad Smith???

Renegotiating was smart on B. Smiths part to increase his chances of sticking, but it all comes down to production! His veteran presence and QB perspective are a plus, but he's listed as a WR, and Hackett dosent use the wildcat(or so I've read), so if he is that far above other talented WR's, then he's got a chance. IMHO there's too many other more talented WR's on this roster, they may be rookies, but the potential is there to have an awesome stable of WR's. He may stick as a 6th or 7th WR/ST, but I don't see much more than that.

Is it OK for a person to respond to a post in a thread?

Of course it's ok, but I was reading the Brad Smith post and all of a sudden there's something about Byrd, just seemed out of place, that's all...no prob!...it's all good. Go Bills!!!

If he renegotiated his contract (presumably for less money) does that mean he was worried that the Bills would cut him and then no other team would pick him up and pay him a decent amount? That is interesting to me. Did his lack of touches over the past few years hurt his chances? Is the wildcat dead throughout the league and that was his claim to fame? Is he destined to be a #3 or #4 receiver wherever he might go and therefore should be paid as such?

He covers nationally for National Football Post.

Edited by Carey Bender

Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Kyle Williams, Leodis McKelvin, Rian Lindell. Those are the only players on the team that have gotten more than one contract from the Bills.

Just for comparison:

The Patriots have double that number.

(This isn't counting guys that are bench players because those guys are cheap and easy to resign).

Didn't they extend Pears at one point? Isn't he a starter?

They also gave extensions to players that are no longer here like Fitz and George Wilson

So again the Bills have shown they are willing to extend players

Didn't they extend Pears at one point? Isn't he a starter?

They also gave extensions to players that are no longer here like Fitz and George Wilson

So again the Bills have shown they are willing to extend players

And urbik

It is no surprise another team's report broke this.

Few of the local Bills reporters you would trust with a sharp item, even a pencil, and not stab a player in the back.

The are even more jaded than fans and if *I* was involved in the Bills and needed to deal with the press I'd assuming the piranha biting the hand feeding it was not accidentally doing it but holding on to it while calling its friends.

We have Sulking 'Sour' Sullivan and Rochester D&C bunch who tries to sell despair and makes it sound like candy,

WGR since they have gotten back the flagship station of the Bills have gone from almost complete idiots to only occasional idiots.

Somewhere, in the bowels of a dusty saloon, a drunk Canadian takes umbrage.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow. I'm actually surprised. I totally expected a ton of ire directed at Brad Smith and an equal amount of "Who the %&$# is Aaron Wilson?!?!"

Although I don't have a list, Aaron Wilson breaks plenty of stories all around the league. It's not uncommon to see the likes of Schefter and LaCanfora tweet things along the lines of, "As reported by Aaron Wilson..."

I'm glad to see Brad Smith seemingly get a vote of confidence and a clean slate. I think he was criminally under/mis utilized by Chan. I won't go into detail here, as I already have in plenty of other topics. No, I don't think he's an All-Pro or MVP candidate, but he's certainly an under-appreciated and valuable asset to the team, IMO.

Hopefully Hackett & Co. can maximize his talent rather than squander it by taking reps with the QBs. Smith is dangerous with the ball in his hands and he needs to be running reverses and catching bubble screens - get him the ball in space and let him work. The Packers' use of Randall Cobb is a great blueprint for how I think the Bills should be getting Smith the ball.