Matt Ryan: The Latest $100 Million Man in the NFL

Great huh? In 5 years, Ryan has won 56 regular season games but only one playoff game out of 5 and he struggles against the only good team in his division, going 3 for 10 in 5 seasons.

Without Ryan, the Falcs were Vick's team and he managed to double Ryan's playoff win total (woo!)---and he was the most over rated QB of his generation. Arthur Blank can't help dropping fat stacks on non-"great" QB talent.

Must look at where the franchise was in this case. Vick? Gone. Petrino? Pig sooie. Franchise, fans, players were at an absolute lowest of low points. I have no problem with this money going to Ryan. Knowing that you have the most important position covered lets a team focus on other areas. I'd trade our 3 for him in a heartbeat. Wouldn't you?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take Ryan off the roster how good would the Falcons be? You state that Ryan struggles against the good teams. That is one way of lookin at it. But another way of looking at his level of play is that he elevates an above average team to being a good team. That the Falcons are not an elite team has little to do with the quality of play of the qb, and more to do with the rest of the roster.

The Bills would love to have a qb the caliber of Ryan. The Bills have been on a quest for a respectable qb for a generation, and still haven't found one. I'm sure they wouldn't scoff at a Ryan caliber qb.

The Falcons can be contrasted to the Bills. They find a way to retain their best players while the Bills too often end up losing them. That is why the Bills are stuck in the cycle of mediocrity.

If you take ryan off the team they still are a much better roster than we are. I'm not buying any "falcons are awful and Ryan is their savior" dynamic. He's a good qb that still has to "prove it" in the big games. That's not a huge insult - I expect you'll want EJ to better 3-7 against the pats and 1 playoff win, even if we'd all be excited about being a regular contender.

That's the real sport for some posters.

It's laughable that Bills fans of all people would try to run down a top QB like Ryan.

I don't think anyone's calling him a bust- even Weo who seems to be harshest on him is saying top ten but maybe more romo than Brady so far

Edited by NoSaint

If you take ryan off the team they still are a much better roster than we are. I'm not buying any "falcons are awful and Ryan is their savior" dynamic. He's a good qb that still has to "prove it" in the big games. That's not a huge insult - I expect you'll want EJ to better 3-7 against the pats and 1 playoff win, even if we'd all be excited about being a regular contender.

I don't think anyone's calling him a bust- even Weo who seems to be harshest on him is saying top ten but maybe more romo than Brady so far

You misinterpreted my post. I didn't say that the Falcons were awful without him. I didn't say he was a savior---your description. What I did say is that he is a very good qb (top 25%) that allows your team to compete at the upper level. What would be the results if you take him off of the Falcons and replace him with a middle of the pact type qb? They probably wouldn't be in the playoffs.

With respect to EJ Manuel if he turns out to be a Ryan caliber qb I would be ecstatic! In order to discuss the number of playoff wins a qb has you have to reach the hurdle of getting into the playoffs. As it currently stands for the Bills that is an unreasonable expectation.

If you take ryan off the team they still are a much better roster than we are.

Let's get real here: 85-90% of the league rosters excluding the qb positon are better than the Bills. The continuous 3 yr rebuilding cycle has taken its toll on this bedgraggled franchise.

I can't believe Bills fans are picky... Of all the teams fans it happens to be Bills fans. It is just funny.

To think this team would be so lucky to actually find a franchise QB which is the hardest thing to find in football.

Easy to be picky....I've said fitz was garbage for years

Russell Wilson and Kaep were there for the bills.....it really was that easy.....not for the bills war room though.

Easy to be picky....I've said fitz was garbage for years

Russell Wilson and Kaep were there for the bills.....it really was that easy.....not for the bills war room though.

Funny when people like this look at something now thinking they knew this back then. Just stop with the coulda woulda shoulda...

You misinterpreted my post. I didn't say that the Falcons were awful without him. I didn't say he was a savior---your description. What I did say is that he is a very good qb (top 25%) that allows your team to compete at the upper level. What would be the results if you take him off of the Falcons and replace him with a middle of the pact type qb? They probably wouldn't be in the playoffs.

i guess i kind of lumped a few posts together - so dont take it all as towards you, just the last of a few similarly themed ones so you got the quote.

depends who would replace ryan, i suppose. id say atleast 50% if not a few more of the starting qbs in the league would give that team a good shot - its a STRONG roster. two probowl wrs, a probowl te, good defense and DC. lots of talent all over the place. I do think ryans a pretty good qb, but the roster is better than i think many realize when you actually start looking it over.

I never said he was elite.

All I said was he is clutch.

Can a QB be clutch while not being "elite"?

CBF

sure, eli might be a prime example of clutch without being elite.

ryan though has STRUGGLED against his division rival saints, and has been up and down in the playoffs. sure he has been clutch, but i dont know that hes consistently a big player on the biggest stages. i put him in the 5-10 grouping though, and he deserves the contract he got.

It's pretty funny to hear posters disparaging Ryan. It's something like discussing the flaws of a hot woman when the bottom line with regard to the question of would ya? is an unequivocal yes! Would we take him as the long term QB of the Bills?

YES!

Good for him.

He is a clutch QB.

That comeback march down the field against Seattle last year in the playoffs was amazing

CBF

Clutch my **** the KICKER now he's is clutch without him they wouldn't have made it that far... Im in Atlanta and know plenty of Falcons fans not one said he's worth that... He can't win the big one... See the last 4 years... That Seattle game last year he blew it and barley made it down field then the choke against the 49ers... But I mean whatever....

Edited by ReturnoftheBuffaloBeast23

i guess i kind of lumped a few posts together - so dont take it all as towards you, just the last of a few similarly themed ones so you got the quote.

depends who would replace ryan, i suppose. id say atleast 50% if not a few more of the starting qbs in the league would give that team a good shot - its a STRONG roster. two probowl wrs, a probowl te, good defense and DC. lots of talent all over the place. I do think ryans a pretty good qb, but the roster is better than i think many realize when you actually start looking it over.

I didn't take your response as being harshly directed to me. You are one of the better contributors on this board. Reading your well reasoned posts and responding to them is enjoyable.

My point regarding Ryan is that he is the caliber of qb who can legitimately give your team a chance to compete far into the playoffs. Even if that deep run doesn't actually materialize the team still has a realistic chance.

Regarding Atlanta's roster Dimitroff has done a superb job assembling it since he took over after the Vick and Petrino fiasco. After those two earthquakes the franchise was in a state of shock. Dimitroff put the franchise back on track in a relative short order. Compare Blank's hire of a competent GM to Wilson's frequent hire of unqualified staff. There certainly is a lesson to be learned!

Clutch my **** the KICKER now he's is clutch without him they wouldn't have made it that far... Im in Atlanta and know plenty of Falcons fans not one said he's worth that... He can't win the big one... See the last 4 years... That Seattle game last year he blew it and barley made it down field then the choke against the 49ers... But I mean whatever....

You never ask a fan about their team. Lesson one.

Did Ryan not lead them down the field and put them in a position to win the game?

Not the easiest thing to do when you are running a no huddle hurry up offense.

I think its BS that they say Ryan cant win the big one.

Before Peyton won the big one people were saying the same thing. I guess he isnt worth the money he gets either.

A QB can not single handidly win games so to put all the blame on a QB is BS

CBF

people said that about Peyton Manning for a long time.

I watch every Falcons pretty much.

They had a horrible D last year. Nolan did his best to make them average.

The Falcons had little to no running game. It was so bad that on short yardage downs the falcons would often have to pass. Turner went over the hill quick.

Yes Ryan as Roddy White and Julio Jones and Gonzalez. And he uses them.

Vick had Roddy White and could do little to nothing with him.

Ryan is one of the top 5 qb's in the league, he just is.

And by your win the big one arguement, what do you think of Dan Marino? he was a top 3 qb for years while he played.

As a Bills fan i hope E.J turns out to be as good as Ryan. If he does the Bills will be good for a long time, just like the falcons have been and will be!

The Falcons had little to no running game. It was so bad that on short yardage downs the falcons would often have to pass. Turner went over the hill quick.

And by your win the big one arguement, what do you think of Dan Marino? he was a top 3 qb for years while he played.

As a Bills fan i hope E.J turns out to be as good as Ryan. If he does the Bills will be good for a long time, just like the falcons have been and will be!

A lot of what I said could've been early manning. I get it. I'm just saying he's still below the elite (Brady manning brees and Rodgers in my book) putting him in the 5-10 group. That's not a insult in my opinion but I think he needs to win some big games, and start beating the saints to get to that next level. If love to have him on my team, but that doesn't mean he's the greatest of his time yet. If 5 years in EJ is consistently over .500 but only one playoff won and 3-7 against the pats ill likewise be glad to have him and hoping he takes the next step in his progression

Edited by NoSaint

Dan Fouts, Sonny Jurgeson, YA Tittle, Ken Anderson, Bert Jones, Danny White, Fran Tarkenton, Dave Krieg, John Hadl, John Brodie, Carson Palmer and former Class of '83er Ken O'Brien to name a few more, we're all considered top 5 at some time during career without ever being surrounded with enough other talent to 'take the next step'. Some of these guys reside in Canton.

The story on Ryan was that he was a great qb at home but struggled on the road and in the playoffs. 1 win last year doesn't erase that. Would we all take him on the Bills? Of course but that doesn't mean he is worth 100 million. Think about the contracts Brady has signed. They have been reasonable and affordable allowing the team to keep and/or sign good players. This contract will hamstring the Falcons as they have to re-sign their weapons. See the Ravens this year.

I'll list and you tell me where you disagree:

I'd rather have:

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

Manning

Roethlisberger

Luck

Russel Wilson

And put him in a group with:

Kaepernick

RG3

So 100 million for an end of the top 10 qb? One that has lost time and again in the playoffs? That seems crazy to me and they will pay the price for it. Unfortunately it is a qb game and he gets whatever he wants....

The story on Ryan was that he was a great qb at home but struggled on the road and in the playoffs. 1 win last year doesn't erase that. Would we all take him on the Bills? Of course but that doesn't mean he is worth 100 million. Think about the contracts Brady has signed. They have been reasonable and affordable allowing the team to keep and/or sign good players. This contract will hamstring the Falcons as they have to re-sign their weapons. See the Ravens this year.

I'll list and you tell me where you disagree:

I'd rather have:

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Manning

Manning

Roethlisberger

Luck

Russel Wilson

And put him in a group with:

Kaepernick

RG3

So 100 million for an end of the top 10 qb? One that has lost time and again in the playoffs? That seems crazy to me and they will pay the price for it. Unfortunately it is a qb game and he gets whatever he wants....

If QBs grew on trees then it would be too much. The fact they have a QB who can consistently get them to the post season that is all that matters. Bills gave Fitz what was it 60+ mil to be a horrible QB why not pay a good one that can take you to the playoffs.