"Haunting" Songs

ajzepp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite songs of all time...I remember the first time I heard it back in the early 90s...I tried so hard to find it, but it seemed that NONE of his compilation albums included it. Just a beautiful song inspired by John Lennon.

I am heading to NYC this weekend. Strawberry Fields in Central Park is on my list of places to visit. If this song creeps into my head, the pollen might get into my eyes a little.

youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

Excellent post. Same to whoever mentioned "Needle in the Hay."

I nominate "Second Life Replay" by The Soundtrack of Our Lives

I am heading to NYC this weekend. Strawberry Fields in Central Park is on my list of places to visit. If this song creeps into my head, the pollen might get into my eyes a little.

Understandable. You know, I think simplicity can go a long way, but when someone as artistic as Bernie Taupin and Elton John get hold of some inspiration (e.g. the death of John Lennon), they are able to articulate emotions such as grief and loss in such a manner that can really affect us on a much deeper level. I have always had a very emotional reaction to the Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah"...Leonard Cohen wrote such beautiful words and music, but Buckely's vocals take it to a whole other level. I just don't ever react like that to songs that are maybe a bit more simplistic in their structure or verse. I dunno, I have a feeling you understand what I'm saying here, even if I'm not doing a very good job lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WMBYQL14U

I Shall be released song by Richard Manual of the band, He a Stratford Ontario man,

The Band continued touring throughout 1974, supporting Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young alongside Joni Mitchell and The Beach Boys on a grueling summer stadium tour. By 1975, Robertson had expressed his dissatisfaction with touring and acting in an increasingly parental capacity, as the move to Malibu had seen him take the managerial reins on a de facto basis from an increasingly diffident Grossman. According to Levon Helm, Manuel was now consuming eight bottles of Grand Marnier every day on top of a prodigious cocaine addiction. After a brief reconciliation that resulted in the birth of a son, the Manuels divorced in 1976. During that period, he developed a kinship with the similarly despondent Eric Clapton and was a driving force behind the boozy sessions that make up the guitarist's 1976 release No Reason To Cry (recorded at The Band's new Shangri-La Studios).

Manuals grave at Avon cemetary in Stratford Ontario. His tombstone has piano keys on it, visitors daily leave unopened bottles of grand Marnier on it to this day.

On March 4, 1986, after a gig at the Cheek to Cheek Lounge outside Orlando, in Winter Park, Florida, Manuel committed suicide.[3] He had appeared to be in relatively good spirits but ominously thanked Hudson for "twenty-five years of incredible music". The Band returned to the Quality Inn, down the block from the Cheek to Cheek Lounge, and Manuel talked with Levon Helm about music, film, etc., in Helm's room. According to Helm, at around 2:30 Manuel said he needed to get something from his room. Upon returning to his motel room, it is believed that he finished one last bottle of Grand Marnier before hanging himself. Manuel's wife Arlie—also intoxicated at the time—discovered his body along with the depleted bottle and a small amount of cocaine the following morning. He was buried a week later in his hometown of Stratford, Ontario.

Understandable. You know, I think simplicity can go a long way, but when someone as artistic as Bernie Taupin and Elton John get hold of some inspiration (e.g. the death of John Lennon), they are able to articulate emotions such as grief and loss in such a manner that can really affect us on a much deeper level. I have always had a very emotional reaction to the Jeff Buckley version of "Hallelujah"...Leonard Cohen wrote such beautiful words and music, but Buckely's vocals take it to a whole other level. I just don't ever react like that to songs that are maybe a bit more simplistic in their structure or verse. I dunno, I have a feeling you understand what I'm saying here, even if I'm not doing a very good job lol.

AJ, you started a Buckley thread awhile back, and I've got to add "I Know It's Over" to this list....

Sad to say, it's a kind of good summation of something on a personal level. Sigh.

Wow, I've never heard that one James...I was reading the lyrics as he sang...just an amazing talent.