Top 5 Bills Games of All Time

To pick a few others not getting much love:

back to back wins over the fish in 1990 - one to win the division with Frank at QB, then the first playoff win of that year in the return of JK (yes I know there was a meaningless loss to Washington in between)

2002 Snow Game win over the fish

1973 finale - Juice gets 2000 yards

2000 season opener- payback win over the titans on Sunday night (and the first TBD Tailgate!) - Christie kicks go ahead FG with 35 seconds left then we have to "stay in our lanes" to seal the win.

The Snow Game (awesome video by jjamezz of that other Bills fan site):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dULozdtfB90

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two games I haven't heard much about, but which I thought were key games in my mind (maybe not in the top 5, but still):

- 1987, Bills win at home against Miami 27-0. This was the strike year, and we had just traded for Bennett a few weeks earlier. Things were looking up, but this game (to me) was the real indication that the Bills had something really special brewing. Plus, you know, Miami.

- 1988, Bills win on the road against the Jets, 37-14 on Monday night. In front of a national audience, the Bills go on the road to absolutely spank the Jets. Although the Bills were 5-1 at the time, most of the wins were squeakers. This one was a message to the league that the Bills could be a force.

Edited by Rubes

I see 51-3 mentioned a lot. Sure, it was our 1st AFC Championship and played in the shadow of Desert Storm, but it was hardly a great game. Bo Jackson's career ended the week before against Cincy and Schoeder was ..well, Schoeder. The game was over early in the 2nd quarter with Talley's INT TD. What did make it memorable was coming from behind to beat them with a 4th quarter for the ages in Week 4, making the playoff a Home Game.

For me, the '91 Season Playoff game vs KC was more impressive. The Chiefs really ROCKED us on a MNF game in Week 6, but we earned Home Field and spanked 'em when it really counted.

Same season, the great comeback OT win at the Raiders. Norwood tried his best to blow it, missing 3 makeable FG's, but finally came through for the win.

I see 51-3 mentioned a lot. Sure, it was our 1st AFC Championship and played in the shadow of Desert Storm, but it was hardly a great game. Bo Jackson's career ended the week before against Cincy and Schoeder was ..well, Schoeder. The game was over early in the 2nd quarter with Talley's INT TD. What did make it memorable was coming from behind to beat them with a 4th quarter for the ages in Week 4, making the playoff a Home Game.

For me, the '91 Season Playoff game vs KC was more impressive. The Chiefs really ROCKED us on a MNF game in Week 6, but we earned Home Field and spanked 'me when it really counted.

Same season, the great comeback OT win at the Raiders. Norwood tried his best to blow it, missing 3 makeable FG's, but finally came through for the win.

+3 :thumbsup:

Two games I haven't heard much about, but which I thought were key games in my mind (maybe not in the top 5, but still):

- 1987, Bills win at home against Miami 27-0. This was the strike year, and we had just traded for Bennett a few weeks earlier. Things were looking up, but this game (to me) was the real indication that the Bills had something really special brewing. Plus, you know, Miami.

- 1988, Bills win on the road against the Jets, 37-14 on Monday night. In front of a national audience, the Bills go on the road to absolutely spank the Jets. Although the Bills were 5-1 at the time, most of the wins were squeakers. This one was a message to the league that the Bills could be a force.

I believe that was Thurman's only 200 yard game.

EDIT: BTW on a tangent, didn't Thurman also run for 100 and receive for 100 yards one time against the Dolphins at home?

I think it was '91.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I am limited as I'm only 34 years old. I'd love to just include the games that I attended but I can't do that and leave the greatest comeback out of it. So here goes:

5. Comeback against Miami (let it snow game)

4. 1990 game against Broncos

3. Monday Night game against the Cowboys

2. Comeback against the Pats

1. Greatest Comeback

The back to back comebacks against the Raiders and Pats were possibly the most electrifying week of football I've ever experienced. Absolutely unforgettable. Crying in the stands after the Pats game, feeling like a million bucks as we sang Sweet Caroline. Nothing will ever top that for me. Most memorable game I've ever been to.

I know there's many more that should be in the list. Like the first time we beat Miami in a decade. But many of those I never witnessed. I can't comment on them.

Room needs to be made for, beating the Jets to win the first divisional title in awhile.

Smerlas, blocking the field goal as time ran out should be on a all time highlight reel.

It was unreal.

Taking a goal post up to Ralph's box, then the parking lots, and marching it around with police protection to boot is seared into my memory.

I'll keep it to games that happened after I was born. I'm sure the 64 & 65 AFL Champ Games were great but other than highlights, I didn't see either one. Hard to list just 5 but....

5- 1988 vs NY Jets Clinched AFC East. Fandemonium was born.

4- 1989 vs Rams Monday Night FB. 23-20.

3- 1990 vs Raiders 51-3.

2- 1980 vs Dolphins Broke the streak of 20 straight Miami wins.

1- 1992 vs Oilers Comeback Game

I am limited as I'm only 34 years old. I'd love to just include the games that I attended but I can't do that and leave the greatest comeback out of it. So here goes:

5. Comeback against Miami (let it snow game)

4. 1990 game against Broncos

3. Monday Night game against the Cowboys

2. Comeback against the Pats

1. Greatest Comeback

I have to say, even though we lost that game in completely agonizing fashion, it was one of the most incredible games I've seen. The fact that it was a night game on national television only added to it, as well as the fact that it was the craziest and loudest I think I've ever seen the crowd at the Ralph. The TD interception return by Wilson was electrifying, and the one by Kelsay was one of the most awesome single plays I can recall at the Ralph.

The OP stated this list should be restricted to wins, but that game, as horrible as it was at the end, has to be up there on the list of great games. If only we had a shread of offense that game...

Just thought I would start a fun thread about what everyone thinks is the top 5 Bills games of all time. It has to be games that the Bills have won. Mine are

5- The 1998 "Flutie Bootleg Game" Against the Jaguars

4- The "No Punt Game" Against the 49ers

3- The "51-3" Killing of the Raiders in the 1990 AFC Championship Game

2- The "The Streak Ending Comeback Win" Against the Patriots in 2011

And last but not least

1- The "Greatest Comeback of All Time" Against the Oilers in the 1992 Wildcard

What do you think fellow Bills fans? What do you think are the greatest 5 Bills Games of all time?

How about the come from behind win against Denver when we scored 3 TD's in about 90 seconds (blocked FG and int return, I think)

I think we came back the following week against the Raiders as well.

How about the come from behind win against Denver when we scored 3 TD's in about 90 seconds (blocked FG and int return, I think)

I think we came back the following week against the Raiders as well.

It's been mentioned numerous times.

The comeback streak that year had a third game as well. We had a bye after the Raider game, but showcased another tremendous comeback in the next outing vs NYJ. Kelly's long TD to Lofton and Jamie Muellers' last second TD catch had us in a month of delirium!

I believe that was Thurman's only 200 yard game.

EDIT: BTW on a tangent, didn't Thurman also run for 100 and receive for 100 yards one time against the Dolphins at home?

I think it was '91.

Yes, home opener '91 -- the Bills' first regular season game following their Super Bowl XXV heartbreaker. Thurman had "SB XXV MVP" written on his shoes or something like that.

I have to say, even though we lost that game in completely agonizing fashion, it was one of the most incredible games I've seen. The fact that it was a night game on national television only added to it, as well as the fact that it was the craziest and loudest I think I've ever seen the crowd at the Ralph. The TD interception return by Wilson was electrifying, and the one by Kelsay was one of the most awesome single plays I can recall at the Ralph.

The OP stated this list should be restricted to wins, but that game, as horrible as it was at the end, has to be up there on the list of great games. If only we had a shread of offense that game...

I agree. As heartbreaking as that was, that was still one of the most enjoyable games I've been to. And it was insanely loud. My father couldn't hear right for six months after that game.

Makes me wonder what people would list for their favorite games that the Bills lost. I know, I know - that's kind of an oxymoron, but for me some losses are definitely better than others in terms of how the team played, what kind of heart they showed, what kind of growth potential they hinted at.

That Dallas MNF game would make my list for sure. The Leodis fumble game against the Pats in 2009 was very fun until that ending.

Man..... watching those videos..... is that what it's like to have a QB that can throw over 15 yds. People can say what they want about Bledsoe being a statue in the pocket, at least he had a cannon for an arm. Also watching Moulds and Price again. I felt a certain pride as a fan seeing us have 2 competent WR's and a QB able to get them the ball.

Had to look up that 95 game. Wow, can't believe I forgot it!

Great Boomer hightlights

we have the horses to run thy kind of offense. If we don't try and do this, this season, I'll be ill

Not sure if anyone mentioned these three excellent games. Not saying they were all time, but very exciting. 1997 Todd Collins leads the Bills back from a 27-0 deficit to beat the Colts. Jim Kelley threw for 4 or 5 TD's and we beat the Bubby Brister led Steelers in around 1991 by something like 51-38 at the Ralph. Steve Christie kicks a low driving 45 plus yard field goal in NASTY conditions in Foxboro in the last few seconds and we beat the Pats in 2000 w Flutie at the helm. (last time we won there I believe)

Another great MNF game I didn't see above was the early 80s comeback game vs. Vikings. I think they were down 22-0 and won 23-22.

Otherwise, my top 5 are probably:

Miami '91 playoffs in snow

51-3

Jets '81 playoffs

Comeback game

Jets MNF game '89 (fires in the stands)

Another great MNF game I didn't see above was the early 80s comeback game vs. Vikings. I think they were down 22-0 and won 23-22.

Otherwise, my top 5 are probably:

Miami '91 playoffs in snow

51-3

Jets '81 playoffs

Comeback game

Jets MNF game '89 (fires in the stands)

Thursday night game right before the strike. That game was incredible.

That Dallas MNF game would make my list for sure. The Leodis fumble game against the Pats in 2009 was very fun until that ending.

That game still drives me crazy. I had a plane to catch that night, and I waited as long as I could to board the plane so I could watch it in the terminal. Once Freddie scored to put the Bills up by 11 with 5 minutes left, it was final boarding call and I got on, with no way of knowing how the game would end. I arrived late at night at an empty airport, giddy with excitement at the prospect of a road win against the Pats*. I found a TV on with a sports ticker running on the bottom, and my jaw hit the floor when I saw the final score. It was like I got punched right in the gut.

A slightly different take...top 5 games I attended

5. Biscuit's first game - Elway calls time out when he see him lined up on the same side as Bruce

4. 51-3

3. Bills-Jets tear goal posts down - I was picked from the crowd with my brother to hold a camera for a SI photographer

2. Bills end Marino's TD streak - The entire crowd knew what was happening when Strock entered the game.

1. Bills Cards in Az 2012 - My first game with my two sons in attendance.