In depth 2013 Bills assesment

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stumbled across this a couple weeks ago. I didn't re-watch it just now, but I recall it was somewhat overly optimistic- and I'm pretty much as optimistic as they come. He predicted the Bills win the AFCE, right?

So while I think this guy generally knows his stuff, I would bet that these team previews are purposely heavily slanted toward the positive in order to boost views and traffic to their website.

All that said, it's good to hear someone expecting/predicting good things for the Bills among the flood of uninspired regurgitated "analysis." Too many commentators are quick to report things along the lines of, "The names and faces may have changed, but I'll expect the same ol' Bills."

I think he needs his medication dosage monitored more frequently. This having been said, of course I love his final conclusion, as would almost anyone else on this board.

Interesting second-to-last point. This team "needs to learn how to finish games". True enough. I wonder how much of that stems from dumb coaching in the fourth quarter on both sides of the ball last year, as well as physical conditioning? Given the little I've seen in Spring Camp(s) this year, it looks like Marrone et al are stressing the fact that the guys are going to be run into the ground, and that they'd better plan to get in shape early and stay that way.

Edited by Whites Bay

Interesting second-to-last point. This team "needs to learn how to finish games". True enough. I wonder how much of that stems from dumb coaching in the fourth quarter on both sides of the ball last year, as well as physical conditioning? Given the little I've seen in Spring Camp(s) this year, it looks like Marrone et al are stressing the fact that the guys are going to be run into the ground, and that they'd better plan to get in shape early and stay that way.

True enough, indeed!

I'd venture we've left 10 wins on the table the last 3 years. Getting more T/A'sand giving less T/O's is the best way to 'Learn how'.

He sounded as if he was on the Bills' payroll. He stating that the Bills can challenge for the division is very much a leap. Where he makes an excellent point is that Kolb has topped out at his maximum, and it isn't good enough. He makes a good argument to play Manuel sooner rather than later. If Manuel demonstrates that he can be a legitimate franchise qb then the most important building block for the franchise is finally set.

The commentator assumes that a very large contingent of young players will be playing this season. I agree with that view. But with that over reliance on youth comes a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies. The best perspective to take on this upcoming season is not to stresss over the record but focus on player development. Watching how this draft class performs will be intriguing to follow. There are a few UDFA who are interesting prospects: WR Da'Rick Rogers, WR Kaufman, LB Pough and CB Robey.

He sounded as if he was on the Bills' payroll. He stating that the Bills can challenge for the division is very much a leap. Where he makes an excellent point is that Kolb has topped out at his maximum, and it isn't good enough. He makes a good argument to play Manuel sooner rather than later. If Manuel demonstrates that he can be a legitimate franchise qb then the most important building block for the franchise is finally set.

The commentator assumes that a very large contingent of young players will be playing this season. I agree with that view. But with that over reliance on youth comes a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies. The best perspective to take on this upcoming season is not to stresss over the record but focus on player development. Watching how this draft class performs will be intriguing to follow. There are a few UDFA who are interesting prospects: WR Da'Rick Rogers, WR Kaufman, LB Pough and CB Robey.

Good coaching can and should minimize that by keeping things simple for the younger players. With the HC and OC coming from college, I would like to believe they know this and will do a good job managing this.

Optimistic for sure, but not out of the realm of possibility I suppose. All depends on game one vs. the Pats. We win that with EJ at the helm and we set the tone for the season. We'll see if Marrone has the gonnies to start the rookie if he earns it, or if it's s tie between him and Kolb.

I agree. Especially with a new system on offense and defense. By the end of the season, I'd like to see the younger guys getting comfortable and making plays, so that next season they can take off right out of the gate. It will probably be a pretty sobering start to this season, but it's the development over time that I'm looking forward to watching.

I agree. Especially with a new system on offense and defense. By the end of the season, I'd like to see the younger guys getting comfortable and making plays, so that next season they can take off right out of the gate. It will probably be a pretty sobering start to this season, but it's the development over time that I'm looking forward to watching.

Speak for yourself; I'll likely be plastered.

Remember when Jim Kelly was our QB ? Go to this site to see just how good he was... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoG_2qLThgk&feature=player_embedded He had a wonderful O-line. Both OTs could set up for pass defense quickly and the middle three were like a wall giving Kelly time to find his talented WRs. Do you feel our present O-line can provide similar protection for our QB? Will Emanual eventually have the great presence Kelly had in the pocket? We certainly have the running backs and a quality OC ..... I think we will have a good offense this year, but its fun looking back at just how great Kelly was and the team... Go Bills.... Who were the Offensive linemen back then... Anyone remember ?

Remember when Jim Kelly was our QB ? Go to this site to see just how good he was... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoG_2qLThgk&feature=player_embedded He had a wonderful O-line. Both OTs could set up for pass defense quickly and the middle three were like a wall giving Kelly time to find his talented WRs. Do you feel our present O-line can provide similar protection for our QB? Will Emanual eventually have the great presence Kelly had in the pocket? We certainly have the running backs and a quality OC ..... I think we will have a good offense this year, but its fun looking back at just how great Kelly was and the team... Go Bills.... Who were the Offensive linemen back then... Anyone remember ?

Who? :rolleyes:

I stumbled across this a couple weeks ago. I didn't re-watch it just now, but I recall it was somewhat overly optimistic- and I'm pretty much as optimistic as they come. He predicted the Bills win the AFCE, right?

So while I think this guy generally knows his stuff, I would bet that these team previews are purposely heavily slanted toward the positive in order to boost views and traffic to their website.

All that said, it's good to hear someone expecting/predicting good things for the Bills among the flood of uninspired regurgitated "analysis." Too many commentators are quick to report things along the lines of, "The names and faces may have changed, but I'll expect the same ol' Bills."

The Bills are winning the AFCE without knowing who or what the starting QB is or can do?

Awesome.

:thumbdown:

The Bills are winning the AFCE without knowing who or what the starting QB is or can do?

Awesome.

:thumbdown:

It speaks more to the perceived state of the Division than who QBs the Bills, but yeah, a tad pie in the sky..

It speaks more to the perceived state of the Division than who QBs the Bills, but yeah, a tad pie in the sky..

Ok, thanks.

So a rookie QB with a rookie OC and a rookie head coach are going to get over on the Hoodie and Tom Brady?

:mellow: