How long does Pettine stay with us?

Common man! Learn how to roll your own. I do it all the time on an iPhone even.

Here's a linky that 'splains it in real simple English with pictures 'n everything.

so's ya wants a devil - ya type a colon then the word devil and another colon. no spaces!

ya wants a beer - ya type a colon then the word beer and another colon. no spaces.

Like this - (but with no spaces). Ya take out the spaces and the smiley shows.

: devil :

: beer :

Why did you link to a thread about how you maintain your curly bits? :devil:

Why, I'll be damned, speak of the devil (or in this case, sandwich him in colons), and look who appears. :w00t:

Thanks for the tip, Nanker. :beer:

Uh oh, I've gone mobile emoticon batsh!t crazy, now. :doh:

Edited by transient

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pettine took a mediocre Jets D and turned it into one that has been ranked in the top 10 for the past 4 years. How many HC jobs was he offered after that?

It's tough when you're essentially considered to be Rex's lieutenant and not your own man. We'll find out soon whether or not that is truly the case.

Wanny bolted (Rather kicked) to the Buc's as their Special Teams Coach !! :w00t: :w00t:

And don't forget the new Browns DC (former DC of the Cardinals). He was the top of the list of HC searches this year, including the Bills. (Ray Horton?)

Exactly.

IF Pettine and Marrone turn this team around and get them to the playoffs for a couple seasons straight then other teams will look to pick off a guy or two from the Bills' staff.

If the Defense plays a huge role in why the Bills make the playoffs after 13 seasons, Pettine will start to become a name many look at.

If Pettine does become a HC somewhere else we as Bills fans will be sad to see him go, but it will also most likely mean we have ended our long suffering playoff drought.

Another lazy response. I never once assumed Pettine was going to "lead the Bills defense out of the abyss", in fact I said "I believe if he can bring the Bills defense out of the mire and have them in the top 3rd of the league he could leave for a head coaching job as early as next year."

If he CAN then he COULD leave.

It's a hypothetical question, hence you don't have to wait to SEE anything. Kind of like; how many yards do you think Spiller will have from scrimmage?

My response: I think he'll gain 1,400 yards on the ground and another 400 receiving.

Your response: I want to see Hackett's offense first and see how he's getting utilized before I guess.

Do you get it yet?

I get it, you like to make bold and blind predictions. This is just as ridiculous as the thread guessing at who the Bills will draft in the first of of next year.

So, you're just throwing out a blind prediction on Spiller without evening knowing how Hackett will use him. Here are my guesses on Hackett and Spiller: If Hackett uses Spiller like Gailey did (excuse me, underutilized him), then I can see him get anywhere between 1100-1300 yards rushing. If Hackett spilts the plays close to 50/50 pass/run, then I can see Spiller having more than 1400 yards rushing. If Hackett utilizes Spiller the way Minnesota did with AP (heavy run with limited passes), then I can see Spiller being in the Top 3 in rushing this year.

The Bills have an entirely new coaching staff and systems in place, so at this point, it's useless trying to predict or guess at how well/poor the Bills will do. After the 3rd preseason game is when you can get a decent gauge at how the Bills look (when we see the starters in for extensive action).

Since you're into bold & blind predictions, answer these questions then: Do you even know how Hackett is going to utilize Spiller? Who is going to be the starting QB? How many WR's are the Bills going to keep? What's the Bills win/loss record going to be each year for the next 5 years? Who will win Superbowl 50? When will the earth come to an end?

Since you're into bold & blind predictions, answer these questions then: Do you even know how Hackett is going to utilize Spiller? Who is going to be the starting QB? How many WR's are the Bills going to keep? What's the Bills win/loss record going to be each year for the next 5 years? Who will win Superbowl 50? When will the earth come to an end?

Fun! I'll take a shot.
  • Do you even know how Hackett is going to utilize Spiller? No, but I suspet he'll be the primary RB.
  • Who is going to be the starting QB? Kolb until 3-6 games into the season, then Manuel.
  • How many WR's are the Bills going to keep? 6
  • What's the Bills win/loss record going to be each year for the next 5 years? 6-10, 9-7, 11-5, 10-6, 9-7
  • Who will win Superbowl 50? The Saints
  • When will the earth come to an end? 3429 (from an asteroid) - I assume you mean when will humans be wiped from the Earth. There will still be giant mass circling the sun after the asteroid collision.

So if the discussion is pointless to you, why not just skip the thread?

If the Bills defense does exceptionally well, and Pettine gets a lot of credit, I think he stays 2-3 years. If the Bills continue on their familiar trajectory, I think he stays 3-4 years and leaves with the next HC change.

My confidence in these predictions is ~40%, except the end of Earth prediction is 95%+. I have a feeling about that one.....

(From Matt in KC): Fun! I'll take a shot.

• Do you even know how Hackett is going to utilize Spiller? No, but I suspet he'll be the primary RB.

That's a given. Do you see Hackett using Spiller like Gailey did, go 50/50 pass/run, or like the Vikings used Adrian Peterson (heavy run, minimal passes)?

• Who is going to be the starting QB? Kolb until 3-6 games into the season, then Manuel.

I agree with that as I imagine Kolb will get injured (he's been injury prone during his career) and Manuel will take over.

• How many WR's are the Bills going to keep? 6

I agree. I'm going with SJ, Woods, Graham, Goodwin, Brad Smith and Rogers.

• What's the Bills win/loss record going to be each year for the next 5 years? 6-10, 9-7, 11-5, 10-6, 9-7

6-10, 7-9, 7-9...new coaches again...6-10, 7-9 (just going with the averages, hope I'm wrong)

• Who will win Superbowl 50? The Saints

I'm going with the Ravens

• When will the earth come to an end? 3429 (from an asteroid) - I assume you mean when will humans be wiped from the Earth. There will still be giant mass circling the sun after the asteroid collision.

I'm going with 3797. http://science.disco...predictions.htm

So if the discussion is pointless to you, why not just skip the thread?

Didn't say the whole thread was pointless, just trying to predict what could possibly happen 2-4 years from now before the Bills even take a snap in preseason with a completely new coaching regime is pointless, same with trying to predict who the Bills first round pick will be in 2014.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Then why did the Bills hire him?

There's a difference between hiring a DC and HC...but of course you already knew that. And there's that little matter of actually interviewing the guy.

Then why did the Bills hire him?

If you're a defensive coordinator underneath a defensive head coach, other teams don't necessarily know how much of the defense's success or failure was your doing, and how much was due to the head coach. Going from a situation like that into a situation in which you're a defensive coordinator under an offensively minded head coach represents a de facto promotion; even if it's a lateral move on paper. This kind of promotion is exactly what the Bills gave Pettine. If he does well with this promotion, then odds are that several years down the line he'll start getting interviews for his next promotion (to a head coaching position).

I thought this might be an interesting topic with not much else going on.

So how long do you think we have Pettine as our DC?

Who do you see as a possible replacement?

I believe if he can bring the Bills defense out of the mire and have them in the top 3rd of the league he could leave for a head coaching job as early as next year.

I think these two gentleman would get the first shot:

Jim O'neil (Bills LB coach) - Spent 4 years with the Jets under Pettine. Defensive quality control coach to being promoted to assistant DB coach.

Chuck Driesbach (Bills LB coach) - Long college career in coaching. To my knowledge he's never coached directly under any of our current coaches.

So Pettine's teams with the Jets get consistently worse, and his Jets team is riddled with dissension. The Jets let him walk to a division rival. The Bills haven't played even a pre-season snap and now he is the next coaching genius. If we replace him in two years its because we are going back to a 4-3.

I get it, you like to make bold and blind predictions. This is just as ridiculous as the thread guessing at who the Bills will draft in the first of of next year.

So, you're just throwing out a blind prediction on Spiller without evening knowing how Hackett will use him. Here are my guesses on Hackett and Spiller: If Hackett uses Spiller like Gailey did (excuse me, underutilized him), then I can see him get anywhere between 1100-1300 yards rushing. If Hackett spilts the plays close to 50/50 pass/run, then I can see Spiller having more than 1400 yards rushing. If Hackett utilizes Spiller the way Minnesota did with AP (heavy run with limited passes), then I can see Spiller being in the Top 3 in rushing this year.

The Bills have an entirely new coaching staff and systems in place, so at this point, it's useless trying to predict or guess at how well/poor the Bills will do. After the 3rd preseason game is when you can get a decent gauge at how the Bills look (when we see the starters in for extensive action).

So you don't get it, you're a slow learner. If you're not into predicting, cool, but to act like conjecture is somehow not a major part of the discussions here is crazy. Let us know how many games you think the Bills will win after the seasons over then.

There's a difference between hiring a DC and HC...but of course you already knew that. And there's that little matter of actually interviewing the guy.

You can't mean this as a serious question.

Simple question. On the one hand, this thread is speculating that he may be such a great DC, that he may be on the Bills for only one year before being plucked away for a HC job. On the other hand, the exemplary perfromance of the Jets D beginning with Pettien's arrival are being credited to Rex by the same posters that say he may not be here for long.

Both (he's a great DC that is a season or 2 away from becoming a HC and he's an unnkown because Rex Ryan was the real DC in NYJ) can't be true. My first question was why wasn't he considered for a HC job after a great stint as DC. Someone replied that his D was really a product of Rex. The next logical question was why did the Bills then hire him?

For the record, I think he was a good hire. I knew Edwards and Wanny would be disasters. I don't get that sense with Pettine.

So you don't get it, you're a slow learner. If you're not into predicting, cool, but to act like conjecture is somehow not a major part of the discussions here is crazy. Let us know how many games you think the Bills will win after the seasons over then.

I already stated my predictions and said that you could get a good gauge at how the Bills could do this season after the 3rd preseason game (when the Bills starters get extensive action). I also laid out the scenarios of how Spiller could do based on how Hackett could run the offense. There's no point in having you re-read my post because it's painfully obvious you don't have reading comprehension, so let me help you out. Dial 1-800--ABCDEFG and ask for a program called "Hooked on Phonics," It will give you a start in the right direction.

Since you're into bold & blind predictions, how many tackles will Kiko Alonzo have in his NFL career?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

So Pettine's teams with the Jets get consistently worse, and his Jets team is riddled with dissension. The Jets let him walk to a division rival. The Bills haven't played even a pre-season snap and now he is the next coaching genius. If we replace him in two years its because we are going back to a 4-3.

Dude.

I'll say it again: dude.

I'll tell it to you straight. I'm more pessimistic than most people around here. Read my posts about Fitz, Kolb, and Manuel if you don't believe me. I've predicted a 6-10 record for the Bills this season, and I'm fairly sure I predicted a similar record for last season too.

But your pessimism level goes way beyond mine. The Jets' defensive scheme and coaching looked very solid to me. Certainly much better than the coaching we're used to seeing from Edwards or Wannestedt. And yet you're already convinced Pettine will be a failure, because you see no other possible outcomes.

Are there risks associated with him? Absolutely. It's possible Pettine will fail just as badly on his own as Wannestedt failed after he was no longer with Jimmy Johnson. On the other hand, it's also possible he'll succeed just as brilliantly as Bill Belichick did after he was no longer under the shadow of Bill Parcells. Most likely, he will fall somewhere between those two extremes.

Given who the Jets' head coach was, a certain amount of dissension was almost inevitable no matter what the defensive coordinator did. As for the fact the Jets let him walk: there was personal friction and strong differences of opinion between Pettine and Rex; and I'm quite sure those differences biased Rex's thinking. A biased person is not always wrong; and I'm not dismissing the possibility Rex was right. But that's merely a possibility--not something any of us can know with certainty.