Paying for education

it's not that they're easy to slap around, it's that they're so counterintuitive to most of the mindsets here that they feel compelled to attempt to quell them. there are plenty of recent humanities and social science grads who have succeeded financially and professionally. many went to top schools but i didn't realize that there was a stipulation placed on which schools the students attended attached to the assertion that nonscience majors are wasting their time and money. some are, some aren't. i contend that much has to do with their innate ability and drive. the solution here is more likely tightening admission policies (and perhaps not considering schools with poor placement records- not that i like roi calculation in education but they exist for universities, too) than limiting majors. i contend that you're concentrating on the wrong problem.

Yeah, like it's in the middling schools' best interest to tighten their admission policies. Do you process your thoughts before you submit them to the Intertubes?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, like it's in the middling schools' best interest to tighten their admission policies. Do you process your thoughts before you submit them to the Intertubes?

didn't say it was in their best interests but maybe it's in society's. someone suggested cutting off loans for certain majors. wouldn't it make more sense to cut it off to underperforming schools? is that idea any more likely to meet opposition than the former? from some estimates, over 50% of americans have attended college. by necessity, this must include some average or below students. cut off loans to schols that accept such students and you have a ready and effective solution. and a college degree means something again...

didn't say it was in their best interests but maybe it's in society's. someone suggested cutting off loans for certain majors. wouldn't it make more sense to cut it off to underperforming schools? is that idea any more likely to meet opposition than the former? from some estimates, over 50% of americans have attended college. by necessity, this must include some average or below students. cut off loans to schols that accept such students and you have a ready and effective solution. and a college degree means something again...

So your solution is to educate fewer people?

So your solution is to educate fewer people?

The way things are going, we're basically extending the public school system another 4yrs; and we all know how that system works.

His opinion is that we need to improve schools by kicking out the idiots, instead of letting the Jeantel's stave off the real world a few more years at taxpayer expense.

And who is going to be the grand arbiter of who gets the funding? Funny, your proposal sounds eerily similar to the great hope that ACA is...

How many times does it need to be explained that central control and price controls always lead to the exact opposite of what they're intended to do. A big part of the reason why education is a mess and will continue to be a mess is the implicit federal subsidy of student loans. If the feds are going to distort a market, they might as well be equal opportunists and throw more cash at the for-profit schools like Phoenix U, etc. At least they won't be subsidizing a $200K college degree to nowhere, but a $50K degree to nowhere.

And who is going to be the grand arbiter of who gets the funding? Funny, your proposal sounds eerily similar to the great hope that ACA is...

How many times does it need to be explained that central control and price controls always lead to the exact opposite of what they're intended to do. A big part of the reason why education is a mess and will continue to be a mess is the implicit federal subsidy of student loans. If the feds are going to distort a market, they might as well be equal opportunists and throw more cash at the for-profit schools like Phoenix U, etc. At least they won't be subsidizing a $200K college degree to nowhere, but a $50K degree to nowhere.

Problem is the for-profit degree to nowhere is resulting in the greatest incidence of defaulted student loans.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-57585366/student-loan-defaults-rising-despite-a-way-out/

Problem is the for-profit degree to nowhere is resulting in the greatest incidence of defaulted student loans.

http://www.cbsnews.c...pite-a-way-out/

That is correct, and a big part is how the federal loan guarantees distort the market and give traditional colleges an opening to raise tuition at multiples of inflation increases. Here's a Bloomberg contributor's take.

The way things are going, we're basically extending the public school system another 4yrs; and we all know how that system works.

His opinion is that we need to improve schools by kicking out the idiots, instead of letting the Jeantel's stave off the real world a few more years at taxpayer expense.

Which would be great if Jeantel wouldn't become an even bigger burden on the taxpayer once kicked out on her fat ass. But until our society stops rewarding people for being useless, that's not a realistic outcome.

Vassar College Women's Studies Program:

http://catalogue.vassar.edu/academic-information/departments-and-programs/wmst/

Includes such courses as:

Gender, Social Problems and Social Change

Issues in Feminism: Bodies and Texts

Women in Greek and Roman History and Myth

Queering the Archive

Gender and Islam

Topics in the Construction of Gender

Bio-Politics of Breast Cancer

Sex & Reproduction in 19th Century United States

Feminism, Knowledge, Praxis

How Queer is That?

:thumbsup:

In truth, that sounds like a not-entirely-useless class. If it were taken as part of a real course of study in, say, history or classic literature.

Vassar's a SERIOUSLY kooky place, though.

In truth, that sounds like a not-entirely-useless class. If it were taken as part of a real course of study in, say, history or classic literature.

Vassar's a SERIOUSLY kooky place, though.

It wasn't kooky when I was at the CIA as a 19 year old. Great place to hang out. :devil:

It wasn't kooky when I was at the CIA as a 19 year old. Great place to hang out. :devil:

You weren't there when they took over the main administration building to protest Moynihan's atrocious record on civil rights, were you? :wacko:

You weren't there when they took over the main administration building to protest Moynihan's atrocious record on civil rights, were you? :wacko:

I just looked that up and saw that happened in 1990. I'm an old fart remember. I was LONG gone by then.

Vassar College Women's Studies Program:

http://catalogue.vas...-programs/wmst/

Includes such courses as:

Queering the Archive

Gender and Islam

Topics in the Construction of Gender

Sex & Reproduction in 19th Century United States

Feminism, Knowledge, Praxis

How Queer is That?

:thumbsup:

If we're talking about weird class titles, two of the courses I took at the University of Minnesota (and I'm not making this up)

* History of High Tech Weapons (History department)

* Killing (sociology department)

Almost didn't get my first job out of college because some people in the company were concerned about these classes on my transcript. :lol:

I wanted to take a class called "The Color Red" -- but couldn't fit it in my schedule. :lol:

These are the classes I would take. I believe they would be the most likely classes for the slutty feminist liberal idiots to congregate. You know, the ones who would !@#$ anyone in the name of 'girl power'.

How Queer is That?

I'll wait for the home edition of that game.

These are the classes I would take. I believe they would be the most likely classes for the slutty feminist liberal idiots to congregate. You know, the ones who would !@#$ anyone in the name of 'girl power'.

You clearly know nothing about the types of feminists who take those classes. If they did !@#$ you, they'd cry "rape" the next morning, to demonstrate that you don't control their bodies. Seen it happen.

You clearly know nothing about the types of feminists who take those classes. If they did !@#$ you, they'd cry "rape" the next morning, to demonstrate that you don't control their bodies. Seen it happen.

Crap, didn't think that one through...