Most Underrated and Overrated Bill of All Time

http://www.nfl.com/n...errated-players

NFL.com is running a survey asking who is the most underrated and overrated Bill of all time.

Right now - early in the voting - Bledsoe is winning the poll as most overrated Bill ever.

Aaron Schobel, to my surprise, is winning the most underrated Bill vote.

Personally, I voted for Butch Byrd as most underrated though there were some other worthy names on the list.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This was a fun idea, but honestly, I dont think anyone, at least amongst Bills fans who were cognisent when each guy played, really overrates any of the guys on their overrated list. Everyone knows that Bledsoe had one really amazing half season with the Bills in 2002, and then it was clear he was on the down-turn of his career. I have never really heard anyone mention how great he was as an all-time Bills player.

I suppose, Joe Ferguson is held in higher esteem by some (myself included) than might be warrented by cold, hard stats, because Joe Ferguson, head hanging and all, was our guy through a lot very bad, and pretty good years. He was a big part of our youth, for us 40+ somethings. We were fans, we knew our team normally had some major weaknesses, but Ferguson (in the pre-free agency era) was our guy year in and year out...

For me, much as I dislike the guy personally, of the choices, I would say Fred Smerlas is most underrated...Don Beebe most

overrated. All this, keeping in mind, while I remember Byrd, I am a little too young to have an opinon on his play. I take it he was very good...I knew him more from his 1972 Topps football card than anything.

Also, an important factor in all of this, is who is doing the over and under rating. Are we talking about amongst Bills fans, or just NFL fans? We got a lot of guys who were underrrated overall...Kent Hull.

Edited by Buftex

On the national level, the most underrated was Robert James.

Other teams simply avoided him.

When you are truly exceptional, they make rule changes. Bob Gibson-lowering the mound.

Robert James. Eviscerate the bump and run.

Just my opinion, but Robert James and George Byrd were not underrated by a long shot in either the AFL or NFL. Perhaps locally by casual followers, but not at all within the Leagues.

It depends entirely on who or whom is doing the rating, but off the top of my head -from a League perspective- I'd go with Jim Ritcher (yes, a 1st Rd pick..) and Darryl Talley. Both deserved far more recognition League-wide than they ever received.

I think we've had a boatload, given our overall, lifetime record.

Will Grant

Tony Greene

Chandler#81

Joe O'Donnell

Paul Maguire

Lucious Sanford

Donnie Greene

Glenn Bass

Wray Carlton

Ben Williams

Overrated? Reuben Brown, Kelsey and a slew of overpaid CB's who left us for FA

I don't know about underrated, but overrated is Darryl Talley. I think to call him one of the most underrated is ridiculous when one considers some of the quality players on really bad teams, that never received recognition, and were promptly forgotten. Talley gets enough recognition, he is in all the NFL Films clips about the 90's Bills, and things like that. Some other guy's whole careers basically evaporated.

Ben Williams and Luscious Sanford were as good as Talley (with Bruce Smith and Bennett?!), but probably aren't in a single NFL Films clip (maybe chasing Walter Payton or something).

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I don't know about underrated, but overrated is Darryl Talley.

I think Talley became so well known for being "underrated" that he almost became overrated, if that makes sense.

Just my opinion, but Robert James and George Byrd were not underrated by a long shot in either the AFL or NFL. Perhaps locally by casual followers, but not at all within the Leagues.

It depends entirely on who or whom is doing the rating, but off the top of my head -from a League perspective- I'd go with Jim Ritcher (yes, a 1st Rd pick..) and Darryl Talley. Both deserved far more recognition League-wide than they ever received.

I think we've had a boatload, given our overall, lifetime record.

Will Grant

Tony Greene

Chandler#81

Joe O'Donnell

Paul Maguire

Lucious Sanford

Donnie Greene

Glenn Bass

Wray Carlton

Ben Williams

Overrated? Reuben Brown, Kelsey and a slew of overpaid CB's who left us for FA

Some great names on that list... I would add Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler, Charles Romes and Steve Freeman....

I think Talley became so well known for being "underrated" that he almost became overrated, if that makes sense.

I agree.

I loved the guy, but I think Buffalonians really identify with his role of the "underrated", hard working guy. That's nice,but it's become mythologized, and I think it's worn out.

Over rated Don Beebe- filled a big role for us but when they mention Reed Lofton Beebe - umm no. Price thought he was a number one found out he wasn't

Under rated Nate Odomes was really good, Fred Smerlas was tremendous, Eric Moulds playing with a mess of quarterbacks was very productive

I agree with a mess of earlier posters--Darryl Talley for underrated.

Overrated--you're right, #81, Rueben Brown. How many damn Pro Bowls did he go to, and for what?

Doug Flutie was THE most over-rated, possibly a top 10 league wide. He was treated as some franchise savior while all he did was poison the locker room and shamelessly self promote. Nothing had me more turned off with the Bills in my 25 years to date of fanhood, then the Migdet breakfast Cereal era.

Most under rated? Eric Moulds and Schoebel were certainly phenominal players on bad teams. I always thought Nate Odoms was an awesome corner without much recognition.

Over-rated - Talley. People around here think he was great. He was a mediocre LB playing behind the greatest DE of all time.

Under-rated - Smerlas. He really was a fantastic player and if he had been a Bill for three more years we win two SuperBowls.

Chris Kelsay most overrated bill and NFL player ever.

Really? Outside of Buffalo nobody even know this guy. He sucked for sure but how do you call him overrated?

How about Mark Pike as Underrated or even Brian Moorman. Both went largely unnoticed outside of Buffalo and Pike especially lived in Taskers shadow.

Really? Outside of Buffalo nobody even know this guy. He sucked for sure but how do you call him overrated?

How about Mark Pike as Underrated or even Brian Moorman. Both went largely unnoticed outside of Buffalo and Pike especially lived in Taskers shadow.

Well, are we talking fan favorites, or overrated at the skill/position level. My point is I doubt DC's on opposing teams lost any sleep over Kelsay at any point in his less than stellar and overpaid career.

Also, I did throw in a dab of sarcasm regarding him being the most overrated player ever. He was mediocre on his best day save a single Broncos game against tebow. He would have been a rotational player on any contending team. He certainly was overrated in the FO's eyes.I don't care how blue collar and lunch pail attitude he supposedly brought to the team. he was overrated and overpaid, till Marrone got here and he decided to "retire".

Edited by Best Player Available

From that list, Conlan was an easy vote. I would also agree with Ruben Brown and add Lil Antoine.

Drew, Drew, Drew. When the Bills traded a first-round pick to the New England Patriots for the discarded Pro Bowl quarterback in 2002, Bledsoe-mania was such that Bills fans jumped around in their cars when they heard the news. The reality? Bledsoe wasn't really that good. Admittedly he did well in 2002, but his 2003 season was an abomination (11 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions) and he single-handedly kept the Bills out of the postseason in 2005 with a pick and a lost fumble for touchdown against the Steelers in the final game of the season. Bledsoe was expected to be Jim Kelly 2.0. Instead, he was just another Joe in a decade-long line of disappointing Bills quarterbacks.

Truer words have seldom appeared on the Internet. But I agree, there were only a few nitwits that overrated him here, though they were pretty vocal.

For underrated, I voted for Butch Byrd. Maybe not so much back in the day, but it seems to me that Booker Edgerson has gotten more props more recently, and Byrd was much better if I recall correctly.

Edited by Rico