July Movies: Lone Ranger, Wolverine, & Pacific Rim.....

With box office numbers soaring through the month of June, we now move to the month of July, which studios hope to keep the big cash flowing. The influx of action movies have not deterred audiences from seeking out new thrills each week. This month there is plenty more action to come, and not all of them are from established franchises.

Disney reunites the "Pirates of the Caribbean" trio of actor Johnny Depp, director Gore Verbinski, and producer Jerry Bruckheimer to bring us "The Lone Ranger". Native American warrior Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice. While Depp is the headline actor, he is not the main character, but his presence will be big. Disney originally planned for this film to be out the previous summer, but drastic changes to the original story(the Lone Ranger fighting werewolves?) caused long delays. Disney's hopes are to revive a popular character who was known throughout the majority of the 20th century and introduce him to today's crowd who know little about the Ranger's story. Also starring Armie Hammer, Helena Bonham Carter, Tom Wilkinson & William Fichtner.

20th Century Fox & Marvel bring back Hugh Jackman as "The Wolverine". Wolverine makes a voyage to modern-day Japan, where he encounters an enemy from his past that will impact on his future. After the lukewarm reception the previous Wolverine film got, Fox & Marvel feel more confident about this outing, thinking the international storyline will have more intrigue. Also starring Famke Janssen & Will Yun Lee.

Warner Bros. & director Guillermo Del Toro present the sci-fi/action film "Pacific Rim". When an alien attack threatens the Earth's existence, giant robots piloted by humans are deployed to fight off the menace. Guillermo Del Toro has given great care to his Mega Robot Vs. Kaiju project, giving lots of fan boys a dream come true. The star power is low, which is a big challenge for this film that is selling more on premise, which has some people intrigued, but will need word of mouth in order to be a huge hit. Regardless of that, Del Toro is reportedly working on a sequel to this movie already. We'll see if that confidence is justified. Starring Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam, Charlie Day, Rinko Kikuchi & Ron Perlman.

Universal & Illumination Entertainment bring back Gru and the Minions in "Despicable Me 2". Gru is recruited by the Anti-Villain League to help deal with a powerful new super criminal. After the success of the first film, audiences will get more and more from these characters(the Minions have their own movie scheduled for next year), it seems inevitable that a 3rd Despicable Me will be made. Starring the voices of Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Benjamin Bratt, Miranda Cosgrove, Dana Gaier, Elsie Kate Fisher, & Russell Brand.

Bruce Willis and hi cohorts, except Morgan Freeman, are back in "Red 2". Retired black-ops CIA agent Frank Moses reunites his unlikely team of elite operatives for a global quest to track down a missing portable nuclear device. Also starring Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Mary-Louise Parker, Catherin Zeta-Jones, Byung Hun Lee, & Anthony Hopkins.

A pair of Ryan Reynolds movies are released this month.

First from Dreamworks Animation comes "Turbo". A freak accident might just help an everyday garden snail achieve his biggest dream: winning the Indy 500. Starring the voices of Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Maya Rudolph, Samuel L. Jackson, Richard Jenkins & Michelle Rodriguez.

Then from Universal comes the little talked about "R.I.P.D.". A recently slain cop joins a team of undead police officers working for the Rest in Peace Department and tries to find the man who murdered him. Starring Ryan Reynolds, Jeff Bridges, Mary-Louise Parker & Kevin Bacon.

Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock & David Spade are back in "Grown Ups 2". After moving his family back to his hometown to be with his friends and their kids, Lenny, finds out that between old bullies, new bullies, schizo bus drivers, drunk cops on skis, and 400 costumed party crashers sometimes crazy follows you. Also starring Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph, Maria Bello, Jon Lovitz & Steve Buscemi.

In the thriller "The Conjuring", Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most terrifying case of their lives. Starring Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson & Lili Taylor.

In "The Way, Way Back", Over the course of his summer break, a teenager comes into his own thanks in part to the friendship he strikes up with one of the park's managers. Starring Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney, AnnaSophia Robb, Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph, Amanda Peet & Liam James.

In "Girl Most Likely", A failed New York playwright awkwardly navigates the transition from Next Big Thing to Last Year's News. Starring Kristen Wiig, Annette Bening, Darren Criss & Matt Dillon.

In "The To-Do List", Feeling pressured to become more sexually experienced before she goes to college, Brandy Clark makes a list of things to accomplish before hitting campus in the fall. Starring Aubrey Plaza, Johnny Simmons, Bill Hader, & Alia Shawkat.

In the documentary "Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain", Filmed at a sold-out performance at Madison Square Garden, comedian Kevin Hart delivers material from his 2012 "Let Me Explain" concert tour.

Finally in "The Smurfs 2", The Smurfs team up with their human friends to rescue Smurfette, who has been kidnapped by Gargamel since she knows a secret spell that can turn the evil sorcerer's newest creation - creatures called the Naughties - into real Smurfs. Starring Hank Azaria, Neil Patrick Harris, Brendan Gleeson, Jayma Mays, and the voices off Jonathan Winters, Christina Ricci, Alan Cumming, Katy Perry, & Anton Yelchin.

Calendar with Trailers.

7/3

"Kevin Hart: Let me Explain": http://www.kevinhartnation.com/let-me-explain/

"Despicable Me 2": http://despicableme.com/

"The Lone Ranger": http://disney.go.com/the-lone-ranger/

7/5

"The Way, Way Back": http://www.foxsearchlight.com/thewaywayback/

7/12

"Pacific Rim": http://www.pacificrimmovie.com/

"Grown Ups 2": http://www.grownups2-movie.com/site/

7/17

"Turbo": http://www.turbomovie.com/

7/19

"The Conjuring": http://theconjuring.warnerbros.com/index.html

"R.I.P.D.": http://www.ripd.com/index.php

"Red 2": http://www.red-themovie.com/

"Girl Most Likely": http://girlmostlikelymovie.com/

7/26

"The Wolverine": http://www.thewolverinemovie.com/

"The To-Do List": http://www.todolistmovie.com/

7/31

"The Smurfs 2": http://www.smurfhappens.com/site/

That's all for now. Independent Movies will be posted later. Until then.....Enjoy!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't take much for The Wolverine to be better than the first movie.

I liked Despicable Me, but the more previews I see of the second, the more likely I think the second will just attempt to rehash the same jokes from the first one.

How the hell did the Smurfs 2 get made? There was that much popularity for Smurfs 1? I don't remember a new toy line being wildly successful after the first movie, so I'm not sure what's driving demand for a sequel.

And Grown Ups 2? WTF This might be the summer of crappy sequels.

It won't take much for The Wolverine to be better than the first movie.

I liked Despicable Me, but the more previews I see of the second, the more likely I think the second will just attempt to rehash the same jokes from the first one.

How the hell did the Smurfs 2 get made? There was that much popularity for Smurfs 1? I don't remember a new toy line being wildly successful after the first movie, so I'm not sure what's driving demand for a sequel.

And Grown Ups 2? WTF This might be the summer of crappy sequels.

You are correct about Wolverine.

I feel the same sentiment about "Despicable Me 2". It probably will be funny, but will it be much different than the first movie?

The first Smurfs movie, while it looked wretched("I kissed a Smurf and I liked it." :sick: ) made over $140 million in the USA & Canada. Internationally it made over $400 million. There is your reason. I've seen the trailer for "The Smurfs 2" and it looks awful, but it'll make money. Just like the "Alvin & The Chipmunks" movies.

I wouldn't say all sequels are crappy. "Iron Man 3" was good, as was "Star Trek Into Darkness". Although I know there is a love/hate relationship with the latter.

On the surface Pacific Rim seems like another bunch of giant robot nonsense but I am kind of excited to see it.

Seems exactly like what a big summer action blockbuster is supposed to be. I'm thinking it could be a sleeper hit.

This summer season has ended pretty quickly for me (well, I am going to see Man of Steel tonight, then it is done). I may check out Wolverine if I get bored one day and have free time. I'm not too anxious to see it though. I really enjoyed Red, but I'll probably hold out on that sequel until it is on free tv in a year or so.

On the surface Pacific Rim seems like another bunch of giant robot nonsense but I am kind of excited to see it.

Seems exactly like what a big summer action blockbuster is supposed to be. I'm thinking it could be a sleeper hit.

The big difference in this giant robot movie is that Michael Bay is not directing it.

This is the one summer movie I have been looking forward to the most. Yet I know it has challenges. Star power is next to zero and there is almost no female appeal to this movie.

On the positive side, it is a fresh new film and not an established franchise. Guillermo Del Toro is very good at storytelling and he has a good following.

I tend to think that "Pacific Rim" will do great in the international markets, but will need strong word of mouth to become a big success in the USA.

Anyone here got Movie Pass?

https://www.moviepass.com/moviefone

I just got mine, it's worth it if you see a lot of movies (3 or more a month), though there are some limits.

Nope no Facebook. No smart phone. And it false advertising to call it unlimited. And look at it very carefully, it appears to be a back door into your bank account.

"The Lone Ranger" looked bad in the previews, and it's already predicted to flop.

It's Rotten Tomatoes score of 24% will not help either.

Oh well, Disney has got "Iron Man 3" & "Monsters University" to fall back on.

It's Rotten Tomatoes score of 24% will not help either.

Oh well, Disney has got "Iron Man 3" & "Monsters University" to fall back on.

I just read that they spent $250M on that thing. $250M?! :o

I just read that they spent $250M on that thing. $250M?! :o

Have you not seen any of the trailers?

The special effects look very costly.

This movie will have to hit it big internationally, that's the only way it will make money.

Nope no Facebook. No smart phone. And it false advertising to call it unlimited. And look at it very carefully, it appears to be a back door into your bank account.

You don't need FB , I signed up under my email. It's not a back door into your bank account either. Why do you always have to be so pessimistic?

You don't need FB , I signed up under my email. It's not a back door into your bank account either. Why do you always have to be so pessimistic?

I am pessimistic regarding companies because I have been ripped off so often so I look at details.

Read the rules. The company can decide to cancel you at their discretion and you need to pay full amount they claim you owe.

To cancel, you first pay a $20 termination fee. But if the dollar amount spent using movie pass exceeds the amount you've paid? You gotta make up the difference. Not the difference for the month of cancellation - for your
entire service period.

27.10. MoviePass may terminate the subscription
at any time for any reason or none whatsoever
.(i.e.not enough profit from you).

If MoviePass terminates the agreement, MoviePass may keep any subscription payments that have been received.
In addition, if the $ (dollar) amount of tickets redeemed during the length of subscription exceeds the total subscription fees paid thus far, the user will be responsible for the difference.

On the positive side, it is a fresh new film and not an established franchise. Guillermo Del Toro is very good at storytelling and he has a good following.

I agree with the Del Toro comment. Perhaps the only reason I did not dismiss that movie after the trailers.

For the rest of this summer, I am most excited about August's Elysium. I am curious how Blomkamp follows up the brilliant District 9. And now he has Damon and Jodie Foster with Copley

I agree with the Del Toro comment. Perhaps the only reason I did not dismiss that movie after the trailers.

For the rest of this summer, I am most excited about August's Elysium. I am curious how Blomkamp follows up the brilliant District 9. And now he has Damon and Jodie Foster with Copley

While Del Toro has not made a movie that has produced blockbuster numbers, he is well respected by audiences & critics. He is known for putting a great deal of care into his movies instead of just going for mindless special effects to carry his movies.

Many people have been pointing to "Elysium" as a big movie. We'll see how Blomkamp does with big name actors and a bigger budget.

Saw "Pacific Rim" tonight, and it does not disappoint.

Director Guillermo Del Toro crafts together a good action/sci-fi film and delivers a real treat this summer.

Believe it or not there is real acting in this movie and a decent storyline as well.

While there are tons of special effects, this movie is not just non-stop action, there is build up and decompression to it all.

There are no A-List names in this movie, but Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam & Rinko Kikuchi really shine. Charlie Day & Ron Perlman add some good humor too.

Check out this film and have some fun, you will not regret it.

By the way, for those of you who were tallying up the destruction and damage of Metropolis when Superman & Zod were fighting in "Man of Steel". Try to add up the damage done by the Jaegers & Kaiju in this movie.