Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

I know I'll regret posting this, but here goes. While causes the ACLU takes up occasionally elicit shocked and horrified reactions (i.e., "how could they support the rights of that monster") the bottom line is we should all be thankful they do what they do. As soon as someone invents the crystal ball that is 100% foolproof in determining anyone's guilt or innocence, we need organizations like this to protect the overzealous from stepping upon the individual freedoms of citizens. Those rights are what supposedly make us "better" than any other industrialized nation.

I agree 100%.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'll regret posting this, but here goes. While causes the ACLU takes up occasionally elicit shocked and horrified reactions (i.e., "how could they support the rights of that monster") the bottom line is we should all be thankful they do what they do. As soon as someone invents the crystal ball that is 100% foolproof in determining anyone's guilt or innocence, we need organizations like this to protect the overzealous from stepping upon the individual freedoms of citizens. Those rights are what supposedly make us "better" than any other industrialized nation.

I agree, though I think you mean until someone invents the crystal ball that is 100% foolproof in determining anyone's guilt or innocence, we need organizations like this.

That and they like to see their name in the newspaper. No one is suggesting AH is not entitled to his rights nor is there any evidence he's been denied any rights and hence this is just grandstanding. If the state of MA tossed AH into the general pop and he got a shiv in the side, the ACLU would be crying about how he wasn't adequately protected.

I agree, though I think you mean until someone invents the crystal ball that is 100% foolproof in determining anyone's guilt or innocence, we need organizations like this.

LOL, good catch. I think I was caught in between two different ways of saying it and wound up combining them!

Oh no! The ACLU says Hernandez is being mis-treated in jail! They want him in a hotel suite with caviar and daily laundry service.

Aaron Hernandez Is Now Locked Alone Inside a Room the Size of a Parking Spot

I'm in a fantasy league with ACLU, and let's just say they have a ton of lawyers working around the clock to get Hernandez back on the field by opening day.

Make no mistake; ACLU is a very sore loser.

That and they like to see their name in the newspaper. No one is suggesting AH is not entitled to his rights nor is there any evidence he's been denied any rights and hence this is just grandstanding. If the state of MA tossed AH into the general pop and he got a shiv in the side, the ACLU would be crying about how he wasn't adequately protected.

I think there's a way to keep someone from gen pop without putting them "in the hole." I don't think prison should be comfortable for any inmate; but to make conditions inhumane shouldn't be allowed, either.

Furthermore ... he's not in prison. He's not been convicted of any crime. That said, if this room "the size of a parking spot" has a bed, air, lights a sink and a toilet - I see no problem.

That said, if this room "the size of a parking spot" has a bed, air, lights a sink and a toilet - I see no problem.

What you just described is inhumane to the ACLU AFTER you've been convicted of murder.

In California, you get recreation, internet, TV, academic and vocational training, full health care with dental, three meals a day ...most prisoners have more benefits than your average poor American family.

Heaven forbid prison should be a place to genuinely fear.

This is going to be a very quick trial and an even quicker verdict. Unless, of course, Marcia Clark is the D.A. and Chris Darnell is her assistant.

I still maintain Marcia Clark was smoking hot during that trial. Just saying.

This is going to be a very quick trial and an even quicker verdict. Unless, of course, Marcia Clark is the D.A. and Chris Darnell is her assistant.

I still maintain Marcia Clark was smoking hot during that trial. Just saying.

:blink:

What you just described is inhumane to the ACLU AFTER you've been convicted of murder.

In California, you get recreation, internet, TV, academic and vocational training, full health care with dental, three meals a day ...most prisoners have more benefits than your average poor American family.

Heaven forbid prison should be a place to genuinely fear.

And yet you have no freedom....I will starve and be free rather than be behind bars.

Regardless, the ACLU can and does go overboard sometimes...like the idiotic blog post KD linked. A blanket condemnation of solitary confinement without considering differing circumstances...so solitary is less humane than, say, getting shivved in the laundry by a rival gang member?

The ACLU's at its best when it's actually defending civil liberties. When it's making stupid-ass generalizations, it starts to sound like PETA.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324436104578581772197037576.html

Shortly before the 2010 NFL Draft, a scouting service that prepares confidential psychological profiles of players for NFL teams found that Aaron Hernandez enjoyed "living on the edge of acceptable behavior" and cautioned that he could become "a problem" for his team.

On one personality test, Hernandez, who was arrested last week on murder and weapons charges, received the lowest possible score, 1 out of 10, in the category of "social maturity."

The Patriots declined to comment on whether they had seen the report before drafting Hernandez. Hernandez's attorney, Michael Fee, didn't return messages seeking comment.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324436104578581772197037576.html

Shortly before the 2010 NFL Draft, a scouting service that prepares confidential psychological profiles of players for NFL teams found that Aaron Hernandez enjoyed "living on the edge of acceptable behavior" and cautioned that he could become "a problem" for his team.

On one personality test, Hernandez, who was arrested last week on murder and weapons charges, received the lowest possible score, 1 out of 10, in the category of "social maturity."

The Patriots declined to comment on whether they had seen the report before drafting Hernandez. Hernandez's attorney, Michael Fee, didn't return messages seeking comment.

Didnt pretty much everyone agree on that, given he was picked in the 4th round? It shouldn't be any surprise that maturity was low rated on a guy that was red flagged for maturity and discipline issues

Killing someone isn't a sign of social immaturity. Buying bubble gum on camera before you kill someone, leaving a bubble gum wrapper in the rental car you used to transport the victim, and leaving the rental car keys in the victim's pockets after you kill him...THAT'S a pretty clear sign of social immaturity.

Really, how do you get to be in your early 20s and not even know the basics of cleaning up evidence?

Killing someone isn't a sign of social immaturity. Buying bubble gum on camera before you kill someone, leaving a bubble gum wrapper in the rental car you used to transport the victim, and leaving the rental car keys in the victim's pockets after you kill him...THAT'S a pretty clear sign of social immaturity.

Really, how do you get to be in your early 20s and not even know the basics of cleaning up evidence?

No, the above is stupidity. Social immaturity is buying blue cotton candy Bubblicious bubble gum.

I think that the first paragraph that I quoted was interesting.

Clearly a guy with multiple failed drug tests, some fights, and more tattoos at 18 than most tattoo artists end their careers with enjoyed living on the edge and could be a problem.

Murder, probably not expected. If they had murderer mentioned I'd be impressed

Clearly a guy with multiple failed drug tests, some fights, and more tattoos at 18 than most tattoo artists end their careers with enjoyed living on the edge and could be a problem.

Murder, probably not expected. If they had murderer mentioned I'd be impressed

Someone should have shown the Pats* a copy of this report before the draft. They're the innocent victims in all of this.