Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our culture is amazing that billion dollar industries in the sports entertainment genre shell out millions to criminals only to prop them up on the field where society embraces them as a role model.

Maybe guys like McGahee are an a-hole. Maybe Ray Lewis is a changed man. Maybe Donte Stallworth was misguided. But I would rather aplaud a man for his character then I would his play. I'd cheer a Coy Wire or Ryan Fitzpatrick before I would a Michael Vick or a Cromartie

Our culture is amazing that billion dollar industries in the sports entertainment genre shell out millions to criminals only to prop them up on the field where society embraces them as a role model.

Maybe guys like McGahee are an a-hole. Maybe Ray Lewis is a changed man. Maybe Donte Stallworth was misguided. But I would rather aplaud a man for his character then I would his play. I'd cheer a Coy Wire or Ryan Fitzpatrick before I would a Michael Vick or a Cromartie

God I would hate the NFL if guys like Fitz or Tebow got to play just b.c they were "Swell guys." Imagine if someone took your job not b.c of his talent and knowledge but b.c he was just a nicer guy then you. He sucks at his job but hey, he sure is nice.

How about this take common sense and realize that these people should never be role models for your kids. YOU as the parent should be your kids role model.

Edited by EJ3

I'm confident that AH will be good to go in September.

September of 2020 that is. Maybe.

Stick a fork in him.

With the whole world watching the cops in Florida will also have to investigate the earlier incident. While the "victim" may not have been cooperative while he tried to hit AH up for cash, he has now filed a claim that no doubt alleges facts supporting at the very least negligent use of a firearm and perhaps an outright battery. If the claim is supported by an affidavit of the complainant they are furthermore sworn to.

If the cops don't get him, the Commish surely will.

I agree.

Sometimes I wish we could figure out an economic system that rewards people for the quality of the lives they lead and the contributions they make. Teachers - the good ones - would make a lot more and self-centered athletes would make less.

I agree.

Sometimes I wish we could figure out an economic system that rewards people for the quality of the lives they lead and the contributions they make. Teachers - the good ones - would make a lot more and self-centered athletes would make less.

Funny thing is with more money comes more problems. This isn't about the job you do it is all about the people.

It is also funny to see posters thinking they know how to see if someone is good/bad. How many people get in trouble in the NFL maybe 1% so it is not like this is a huge problem. But god forbid someone that makes more money then you turn out to be a bad person then the whole NFL is screwed up and just taking guys from prisons and throwing them in teams. Lol

Edited by EJ3

Good post. Such cases re-iterate the value of drafting high character players. If we won in the playoffs but continually got tainted with players getting into trouble with the law, my joy at the team's success will be decidedly muted.

People need to stop using Stallworth as an example, and start using Leonard Little instead. Stallworth did nothing wrong and went out of his way to take care of the person's family. Leonard Little killed someone while drunk, and then got hit for another DUI 5 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Little#Off-field_issues

God I would hate the NFL if guys like Fitz or Tebow got to play just b.c they were "Swell guys"

How about this take common sense and realize that these people should never be role models for your kids. YOU as the parent should be your kids role model.

+1

Good post. Such cases re-iterate the value of drafting high character players. If we won in the playoffs but continually got tainted with players getting into trouble with the law, my joy at the team's success will be decidedly muted.

Well, not only that... there is only so far you can go if your good players are getting suspended, investigated, and possibly worse. You're investing in guys who need to stay with the team to merit the investment.

Now, Hernandez was only a 4th rounder, but he did get a 12.5 million dollar signing bonus last year. Any time he is not on the field for them is going to hurt the team because it's invested a lot in him.

He should call Ray Lewis, you remember him, the guy who was charged with murder but got them reduced to obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation in exchange for testifying against his buddies who are now rotting in jail.

That same guy who Goodell was hugging after the superbowl and is now going to be working for the networks.

Funny thing is with more money comes more problems. This isn't about the job you do it is all about the people.

It is also funny to see posters thinking they know how to see if someone is good/bad. How many people get in trouble in the NFL maybe 1% so it is not like this is a huge problem. But god forbid someone that makes more money then you turn out to be a bad person then the whole NFL is screwed up and just taking guys from prisons and throwing them in teams. Lol

It's true. Every time something like this happens, it becomes the mindset that all NFL players are thugs. It's so not the case. I'd love to see a breakdown of the % of NFL players arrested vs. "normal" citizens.

Fact is most athletes are good people who have to deal with a brighter spotlight and more temptation than your average Joe. And most do a really good job with it.

979564_10200163338392928_783429168_n.jpg?oh=0b1f3ac646bf02fd2c3314ff419bb74c&oe=51C500E7&__gda__=1371860915_ab2588636630271854b7db6528ea62da

:w00t:

People need to stop using Stallworth as an example, and start using Leonard Little instead. Stallworth did nothing wrong and went out of his way to take care of the person's family. Leonard Little killed someone while drunk, and then got hit for another DUI 5 years later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Little#Off-field_issues

+1

IIRC Stallworth wasn't even all that intoxicated & stopped rather than pulling a hit and run. But people are generally incapable of logical reasoning in these situations, want to crucify someone for the result (rather than the act) and will grasp on to any straw that will enable them to rationalize their emotionally driven feeling.

He should call Ray Lewis, you remember him, the guy who was charged with murder but got them reduced to obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation in exchange for testifying against his buddies who are now rotting in jail.

That same guy who Goodell was hugging after the superbowl and is now going to be working for the networks.

His buddies got off. Unless they were later convicted of other crimes they are free.

Edited by Rob's House

http://en.wikipedia....ff-field_issues

Why stop using Stallworth as an example? He did nothing wrong besides drive while under the influence of alcohol and potentially marijuana and killed someone.

Why stop using Stallworth as an example? He did nothing wrong besides drive while under the influence of alcohol and potentially marijuana and killed someone.

I have no problem with using Stallworth. He made a bad decision and killed a guy. I do find it funny though how high and mighty fans are to throw stones when millions do the same thing, including 10 of thousands after NFL games.

He killed someone who was running across a busy highway. Considering the time of day, drowsiness was probably a bigger culprit than the remnants of his drinking the night before. The drinking probably contributed to his state, but to throw Stallworth into the heap of the other guys is totally off base.