per ESPN VText, NFL to award sack leader with Deacon Jones Award

boyst

We all know Bruce was a man among boys when he played. He could singlehandedly turn the tide of a game in one play. It's been awhile, so I checked out his stats and it occurred to me that if you compare him to the sack leaders of today, he would never have touched them (except for 1990 when he had 19). I'm not saying Bruce was inferior, far from it, but it just seems like there's something in the drinking water of the athletes of today. Or, perhaps the game has changed to favor sacks? Seems unlikely in a league hell-bent on protecting QBs.

Edit: well, I looked at all the other leaders from Bruce's years and they did get fairly high, but nothing like JJ Watt's 22 sacks. In fact, Bruce rarely lead the league in sacks, but he did win-out with consistency.

Edited by kas23

We all know Bruce was a man among boys when he played. He could singlehandedly turn the tide of a game in one play. It's been awhile, so I checked out his stats and it occurred to me that if you compare him to the sack leaders of today, he would never have touched them (except for 1990 when he had 19). I'm not saying Bruce was inferior, far from it, but it just seems like there's something in the drinking water of the athletes of today. Or, perhaps the game has changed to favor sacks? Seems unlikely in a league hell-bent on protecting QBs.

In a passing league, you get more shots.

Jim Kelly's career high attempts: 474

Fitz the last two years: 505, 569

Fitz in the 13 games the year before, 441

Brady the last few years - 637, 611, 492, 565

If you pull his rookie year, and the ACL year Brady AVERAGED about 535. That's 60 more drop backs annually than jimbo had in his highest year. I know some guys threw a lot more back then but it seems EVERYONE throws a ton now.

Edited by NoSaint

Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, and LT were three of the best and most influential defensive players in the history of the game. All possessed the ability to play the entire game and to change the game because of it. Reggie White, while good, was not in the ball park of those three. Deacon Jones was like a Model A. It was among the very first to arrive on the stage, and it was the most amazing thing, but by the time the Model T came along so many years later - well, you forgot how revolutionary the model A was at the time because the Model T was a full package in a modern world that had caught up.

Edit: well, I looked at all the other leaders from Bruce's years and they did get fairly high, but nothing like JJ Watt's 22 sacks. In fact, Bruce rarely lead the league in sacks, but he did win-out with consistency.

Bruce also played in a 3-4 as a DE not a position that is conducive to sacks. Also teams are straight out passing more and more, with 60-75% of the plays being passing plays equates to more opportunities for sacks. Teams always tried to balance the run with the pass when Bruce played, now that means running 40% of the time for most teams. Also factor in teams running the no-huddle/hurry up more and more these days equals more plays on the field for defenses.

Teams were running more when Bruce played equals less chances for sacks. The sack totals of the last 5+ years are a prime example of the league turning more to passing and no huddle offenses.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/158775-deacon-jones-versus-bruce-smith/page__hl__%2Bdeacon+%2Bjones

The above is some discussion contrasting pass rushers over the ages.

As NoSaint points out, passing has been on a steady rise for decades, giving modern day pass rushers many more opportunities than earlier pass rushers.

I appreciate the replies on here and agree with them. It's a pass-first league nowadays. That alone is going to account for more sacks. Plus, the 3-4.

The other thing, it just seemed Bruce's sacks were more effective than others, like Schobel's, for example. None were during garbage time and most had a significant role in determining the outcome of the game.

Edited by kas23