(OT) Best Debut Album

Rico

Also, Minor Threat- Minor Threat (EP 1981) is the zenith of what the hardcore genre could be (save for the stupid straight-edge nonsense).  To quote The Trouser Press Record Guide "...(I)f you haven't heard them, you have never- repeat, never- heard hardcore."

202176[/snapback]

They do a good cover of "Steppin' Stone" too...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do a good cover of "Steppin' Stone" too...

202183[/snapback]

:unsure: Yeah, it is pretty good. Great band, preachy lyrics.

Actually forgot to mention the Dead Kennedys -Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables. "California Uber Alles" is still relevant. Wow, music sucks now-a-days.

:unsure: Yeah, it is pretty good.  Great band, preachy lyrics.

Actually forgot to mention the Dead Kennedys -Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables.  "California Uber Alles" is still relevant.  Wow, music sucks now-a-days.

202190[/snapback]

"...it's the Suede Denim Secret Police, they have come for your uncool niece..."

Classic, classic stuff.

My theory on music has always been that most bands first album is their best. It's when the have the most to give, have all their ideas only in their collectives heads and are the most passionate. That's not to say albums that follow aren't great but just consider the 90s (for those of us who cut their musical teeth during that time) there were some awesome 1st albums.....

Ten-Pearl Jam

Rage Against the Machine-RATM

Adrenaline-Deftones

Korn-Korn

Or maybe it could be that the band is new to us?

Other great debut...

GnR

Van Halen

Zeppelin (my favorite by a nose over Nirvana)

Helmet

Primus

And to the tool who said Nevermind... must be a Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come as Your fan!!!!

By the way, for those of you who are Nirvana fans and maybe even collect some of their music, I am the proud owner of an original copy of Love Buzz, no. 365. For those who don't know, Love Buzz was the first Nirvana release and the first release of the famous and now defunct Sub Pop singles club. Only 100 copies were made and they are ahnd-number. The rarest and most sought after Nirvana collectible!!!!

Honorable mentions, some by the folks above:

Beatles "Please Please Me"

Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath"

Boston "Boston"

Dead Kennedys "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables"

King Crimson "In The Court Of The Crimson King"

The Knack "Get The Knack"

Led Zeppelin "Led Zeppelin"

Metallica "Kill Em All"

Sex Pistols "Never Mind The Bollocks"

Van Halen "Van Halen"

But my choice for best debut album:

Pink Floyd "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"

And to the tool who said Nevermind... must be a Smells Like Teen Spirit and Come as Your fan!!!!

202246[/snapback]

That tool would be me jackass. I have Bleached and the rest of Nirvanas CDs along with 2000 other CDs, thousand of records and even 8 tracks. Sorry I errored on Nevermind. Bleached was an independent record that I doubt most people knew existed before. Nevermind was the first big label record Nirvana ever did. It was release in 1991. Later that year Bleached was rereleased. I remember the first time I ever heard Nevermind- it blew me away it was so fresh sounding. Just like Undertow did, just like Nothings Shocking, just like Appetite for Destruction. My bad on the Nevermind- forgive me. BTW I know Janes and Tool had albums before the ones I mentioned but Nothings Shocking and Undertow were the ones that turned me on.

Boston.

201947[/snapback]

I saw Boston in Indianapolis last summer (for free or I wouldn't have went LOL) and they played about 4 songs from their debut and got lots of crowd reaction, then they made the mistake of playing their NEW material and people just sat there, LOL.

It was a good debut albumt hough.

My votes go for the following.

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

The Beatles

I saw Boston in Indianapolis last summer (for free or I wouldn't have went LOL) and they played about 4 songs from their debut and got lots of crowd reaction, then they made the mistake of playing their NEW material and people just sat there, LOL.

It was a good debut albumt hough.

My votes go for the following.

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

The Beatles

202429[/snapback]

I thought for sure you'd say NIN

I thought for sure you'd say NIN

202431[/snapback]

No but the new NIN CD will be out by May. It's finished and it's been sent to the record company.

Trent has a new touring band and they are rehearsing for the tour that should start by March or April.

The new cd is called

Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth

Devo- Q:Are we not men? A:We are Devo (1978)

I'd say it was a pretty successfull debut album...still sounds fresh 27 years later, and nothing has come out since that sounds anything like it.

The Stooges- The Stooges (1969)

The Ramones-The Ramones (1976)

The Specials-The Specials (1979)

Immeasurable influence on literally tens of thousands of bands, and the roots of almost everything you hear today grew from these three records.

Also, Minor Threat- Minor Threat (EP 1981) is the zenith of what the hardcore genre could be (save for the stupid straight-edge nonsense).  To quote The Trouser Press Record Guide "...(I)f you haven't heard them, you have never- repeat, never- heard hardcore."

202176[/snapback]

Those were great times. Fantastic choices.

I would also include the following, who's debut albums were extraordinary:

Elvis Costello - (1977) My Aim is True

New York Dolls- ( 1973 ) - They started the whole punk era.

The Pretenders- (1980)

The B-52's- (1979)

Even in the quietest moments. Supertramp

Give a little bit :unsure:

202471[/snapback]

good album but Crime of the Century is actually their first album. My vote goes for Joe Jackson, Look Sharp. Three instant classics including Sunday Papers, Is She Really Going Out With Him, and Got the Time. Runner-up going to Iron Maiden.