In no particular order - I did not see any of these listed:

The Who - A Quick One

The Band - Music From Big Pink

Lou Reed - Transformer

Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts That Haunt Me

The Kinks - You Really Got Me

Rusted Root - When I Woke

Pinback (self-titled)

(all I want is for ONE person here to say they've heard some Pinback - they're the best band out there that no one has heard of.)

The Breeders (Last Splash)

Pixies (Come on Pilgrim)

Portishead (Dummy)

202524[/snapback]

Pinback is pretty good. For that sound I guess I prefer Modest Mouse and Built To Spill's second and third records. Haven't heard the new one though.

Portishead was fantastic. I also forgot to add:

Brian Eno: Here Come The Warm Jets -- blueprints for indie rock at least 5 years in advance.

Pinback is pretty good.  For that sound I guess I prefer Modest Mouse and Built To Spill's second and third records.  Haven't heard the new one though.

202611[/snapback]

Since you're from Brooklyn, did you happen to catch Pinback at North Six a couple months ago? Fantastic show, and I loved the venue. IMO Modest Mouse is great - Built to Spill I can't seem to get into. Pinback is more melodic than either of them (but Modest Mouse rocks harder, for sure).

But my choice for best debut album:

Pink Floyd "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn"

202255[/snapback]

Absolutly! I am biased because they are my favorite band and I have read way too much about them. But it was creative and inspired a whole new genre.

Syd Barrett inspired HEndrix's guitar playing when Floyd and he were on tour in England. This was at the start of Hendrix's career.

I don't know if you could consider it a debut album per se,

but I'd rank The Madcap Laughs at the top of my list.

202675[/snapback]

It was floyd's first albulm, in a proper sense. They did release four singles prior to Piper, "Arnold Layne" being the first in 1967. Piper was released later in 1967.

madcap laughs was Barrett's solo albulm

It was floyd's first albulm, in a proper sense. They did release four singles prior to Piper, "Arnold Layne" being the first in 1967. Piper was released later in 1967.

madcap laughs was Barrett's solo albulm

202686[/snapback]

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant to say I don't know if I would consider Madcap Laughs a debut album, since he had already been on the 1st 2 Floyd albums... I much prefer Madap to Piper, & Madcap is the one I place at the top of my list.

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I meant to say I don't know if I would consider Madcap Laughs a debut album, since he had already been on the 1st 2 Floyd albums... I much prefer Madap to Piper, & Madcap is the one I place at the top of my list.

202713[/snapback]

I love the Animals LP

Jeff