The Who - A Quick One

The Band - Music From Big Pink

Lou Reed - Transformer

Crash Test Dummies - The Ghosts That Haunt Me

The Kinks - You Really Got Me

Rusted Root - When I Woke

202546[/snapback]

Louuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Saw him at UB in spring 1986. He got pissed because about 100 people started screaming for him to play "heroin". Great band, though. Fernando Saunders was still playing bass with him at the time. Real good show.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Saw him at UB in spring 1986.  He got pissed because about 100 people started screaming for him to play "heroin".  Great band, though.  Fernando Saunders was still playing bass with him at the time.  Real good show.

202741[/snapback]

"The Velvet Underground and Nico" would make my top 10 debut albums.

Perhaps not the best band of all-time, but musically, lyrically, stylistically, commercially, conceptually, and innovatively, the best debut album ever made was and remains, "Can't Buy a Thrill" by Steely Dan. Not a weak minute on the entire thing.

203105[/snapback]

Where have you been?

Since you're from Brooklyn, did you happen to catch Pinback at North Six a couple months ago?  Fantastic show, and I loved the venue.  IMO Modest Mouse is great - Built to Spill I can't seem to get into.  Pinback is more melodic than either of them (but Modest Mouse rocks harder, for sure).

202613[/snapback]

No, missed it. But NorthSix generally has good shows, though. I've seen Richard Buckner, Dismemberment Plan and Les Savy Fav there.

For Built to Spill, check out "There's Nothing Wrong With Love" or "Perfect From Now On." Both excellent. It's been downhill from there.

Agree with "Ten" (Pearl Jam), "My Aim is True" (Elvis Costello) and "Grace" (Jeff Buckley).

Would like to include.....

"Living With Ghosts" - Patty Griffin

"The Ramones" - The Ramones

And my ultimate guilty pleasure...."Elastica" - Elastica.

Since the Violent Femmes and The Clash have already been mentioned, I vote for the first album by the Pretenders, cleverly titled, "The Pretenders".  Like the Violent Femmes (not to be confused with Buffalo's Fems) the put out good records after this, but the first album is heads and shoulders above the others....ditto for the first, self-titled album by Blondie!

201992[/snapback]

I love that album. Did you know that the Violent Femmes discovered the Pretenders?

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your !@#$. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Huey Lewis and the news. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consumate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

"The Velvet Underground and Nico" would make my top 10 debut albums.

202749[/snapback]

Oh, great call! Can't believe I didn't think of that immediately. VU is one of the most influential bands, that hardly sold any records while they were around. The influenced more musicians than the record buying public. It is nice that they are recognized now. I remember the first time I heard the song "Heroin", playing on WBNY around 1980 (I was 15) and the hair on my neck stood on end (sadly that is the only hair I have left above the shoulders!). I went to all the record haunts the next day (we were off from school for a snow day), and had no luck finding it anywhere....I had to settle for a beat up vinyl copy at Play It Again Sams' a few weeks later. The record was out of print at that time...now, you can buy their cd's at Target...how times have changed!

Great call Rico, now change that avatar, it is scaring the bejeezus out of me!