Looking to buy a cord of firewood

mrags

Thanks Jack. It's actually the same guy that was recommended by the guy that rented us the chalet. In fact he just replied to me as you sent me this link. $80/cord delivered. Doesn't seem too bad I guess. Unless anyone here thinks they can beat that.

Thanks Jack. It's actually the same guy that was recommended by the guy that rented us the chalet. In fact he just replied to me as you sent me this link. $80/cord delivered. Doesn't seem too bad I guess. Unless anyone here thinks they can beat that.

I only did a quick Google search on "Ellicottville firewood for sale" and that was the first link that popped up.

A cord is a lot of wood.

I rented a house once with a couple of friends in the Sierra Nevada (not far from Tahoe), whose only source of heat was an ancient wood-burning stove. We went the whole winter on about 1/4 cord, IIRC. (Might have been 1/2)

It wasn't a huge house, though.

The more I think about it we don't need that much but $80 ain't bad.

Are you renting the house for a year? All summer? All winter?

A cord is not a lot of wood, it is a chit ton of wood.

I go through a cord and a half or so in almost a full year, and prolly average 3 fires a week. Obviosly, most in fall and winter. Plus, the majority of those fires are in an outdoor fireplace and I get those fires burning pretty hot.

Can't speak to Buffalo prices, but a real cord of all hardwood in Richmond is about $200 stacked and delivered .

Edited by plenzmd1

My dad used to get a cord for around the same price for the winter and it would usually last the entire winter into the summer. It'll last you awhile. I used to dread the day I got home from football practice and had to spend the night stacking wood in the garage. Blah.

Edited by Wooderson

Here in the Bay Area a cord will cost you about $450-$500 delivered and stacked. It's great wood usually almond but damn that's a lot of money. We decided just this week after a day in Sonoma it would be cheaper to rent a truck and head to wine country and buy it.

Major difference between a cord and a face cord, most places quote you a face cord $80 isn't out of line. Face cord = 4ft high 8ft wide depth of pc any where from 14 in to 16 in. Full cord= 4 ft high 8ft wide 8 ft deep.

Thank you, I was about to bring that up seeing the wide range of prices quoted here.

As for mrags, how long are you going to be needing wood for? Just a weekend, hit up one of the roadside stands and get a bundle for $3-$5 each. $20 worth should last a weekend.

Here in the Bay Area a cord will cost you about $450-$500 delivered and stacked. It's great wood usually almond but damn that's a lot of money. We decided just this week after a day in Sonoma it would be cheaper to rent a truck and head to wine country and buy it.

$500 a cord? Is it exhibition grade English walnut?

Are you renting the house for a year? All summer? All winter?

A cord is not a lot of wood, it is a chit ton of wood.

I go through a cord and a half or so in almost a full year, and prolly average 3 fires a week. Obviosly, most in fall and winter. Plus, the majority of those fires are in an outdoor fireplace and I get those fires burning pretty hot.

Can't speak to Buffalo prices, but a real cord of all hardwood in Richmond is about $200 stacked and delivered .

Yeah. What Plenz said.

I sell some firewood at a local campground, and personally use about 4-5 cords a year for heating in later fall, winter and early spring.

It's about $180-200 per around here for seasoned hardwood.

Major difference between a cord and a face cord, most places quote you a face cord $80 isn't out of line. Face cord = 4ft high 8ft wide depth of pc any where from 14 in to 16 in. Full cord= 4 ft high 8ft wide 8 ft deep.

Actually, a full cord measures 4'x4'x8' = 128 cu. ft. The measure for a face cord is 4'x8'x16".

A lot of guys have their own different measurements and/or terminologies for selling wood, tho...

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. It sounds more and more like $80 is a decent price for a cord of wood. We only need it for tonight Friday and Saturday, but I'd rather be heavy than light and have to go out and get more. It's an outdoor bonfire and I have no idea how much we will use each night. Four $80 doesn't seem too bad though.

I get a real half cord of wood for $180 delivered to my driveway. lasts about a month or so. we have a lot of fires at night.