Xbox One - WOW!!

ajzepp

**PLEASE NOTE**

The Kinect is a fulltime monitoring device that needs to be always connected to the Xbox. It will watch and through facial recognition software, monitor and count the amount of people watching a movie, which commercials you watch, how many commercials you watch, etc. Combined with the "always internet connected" requirement, it is basically a CCTV monitoring device.

With all of the hub-bub surrounding the NSAs intrusive monitoring through the PRISM program, it would be good to keep in mind that one of the FIRST companies to jump on board and comply with the NSA's request was... Microsoft.

Basically, as it stands, purchasing an Xbox One is inviting Microsoft and the Government into your living room full-time.

My friend wants to know if those things could possibly pick up rapid hand/arm movements.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MS has already lost this generation's console war before it even began. I love my 360, don't own a PS3, and I'm going with the PS4. MS has nobody to blame but themselves.

I own a 360, PS3, and PC. I'll probably be buying the PS4. $100 cheaper, free games for PS+, no restrictions on used games, better graphics, and no kinect bundled with it.

Sony is going to have a marketing field day with this. And they should. I hope they capitalize on every stupid decision MS has made on the One.

Love this video Sony put out which details how the PS4 will handle game-sharing...

Sony is going to have a marketing field day with this. And they should. I hope they capitalize on every stupid decision MS has made on the One.

Love this video Sony put out which details how the PS4 will handle game-sharing...

Did anyone see this statement from MS?

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

I wonder how this will be restricted, but in theory, couldn't your "family" simply be 10 of your friends, like people do with Amazon Prime memberships? There's no details though, so who knows.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

I wonder how this will be restricted, but in theory, couldn't your "family" simply be 10 of your friends, like people do with Amazon Prime memberships? There's no details though, so who knows.

From what I read a couple days ago it sounds like you could have multiple accounts shared under one master account but that could only be logged onto 1 xboxOne at a time.

Check out the 24 hour mandatory check-in section here:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Consumer-Policy-Concerns-Guide-56108.html

Did anyone see this statement from MS?

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Yeah great! The Apple approach! My wife has a iPhone and daughter and iPod Touch for sometime... Early on they shared the same Apple account (because she was younger)... Now try cutting the umbilical cord (she has her own account)... So sloppy. I straightened it all out only to find that my wife if paying for music that we already own on CD... Boy, I am not a happy camper. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Nobody is to blame but ourselves... Should have just avoided Apple all together.

From what I read a couple days ago it sounds like you could have multiple accounts shared under one master account but that could only be logged onto 1 xboxOne at a time.

Check out the 24 hour mandatory check-in section here:

http://www.cinemable...uide-56108.html

I honestly don't see the problem here, although appear to be in the minority for now... My console is always connected. It's like the same arguments people had against Steam when it first came out... And now the service offers really cheap games very frequently. I'm hoping history repeats itself.

Yeah great! The Apple approach!

I don't see how it's the same as iTunes... If you take it at face value, this is saying, "If you buy the latest version of Madden, you can play against your family member who lives in another city and they don't have to buy the game too."

There aren't a lot of details, so nobody knows if that's how it's really going to work or not. But if it does, that adds a lot of flexibility and saves people a lot of cost - especially if I can select what 10 people are my "family members" like I can with Amazon Prime.

I honestly don't see the problem here, although appear to be in the minority for now... My console is always connected. It's like the same arguments people had against Steam when it first came out... And now the service offers really cheap games very frequently. I'm hoping history repeats itself.

I don't see how it's the same as iTunes... If you take it at face value, this is saying, "If you buy the latest version of Madden, you can play against your family member who lives in another city and they don't have to buy the game too."

There aren't a lot of details, so nobody knows if that's how it's really going to work or not. But if it does, that adds a lot of flexibility and saves people a lot of cost - especially if I can select what 10 people are my "family members" like I can with Amazon Prime.

Steam is a digital marketplace that offers absurd deals on games. They do this because its just a easy to pirate a game. Consoles are generally pretty hard to use pirated games on (you have to physically install a mod chip). The way things are now, its generally MORE expensive to buy a digital version of a game over Xbox live than it is to buy in store. PS+ is a little different in that they give you a discount for having the premium service, but games are still nowhere near the price of steam.

I really, really don't see this changing. Why would they? There aren't any alternatives (pirating) to buying the game from MS or an approved retailer.

Also, I'm pretty sure that "family" member will only be able to play that game if no one else is currently using it. That's how steam handles it, and i expect no difference from MS. So good luck "sharing" when you'll only be able to play when 1 of those 10 other people isnt.

Edited by Fingon

The steam thought is a good point. If it creates games prices dropping like crazy down the line it would definitely be worth the market change. I'm not banking on it though because something about all of this seems a little greedy of MS. Like they are trying to take a big bite out of the resale pie.

I'm with you on the connection. My 360 is always connected too, but isn't it a little annoying to think if for some reason you don't have a connection anymore all of the games you own would eventually become unplayable?

Obviously this is a lot of conjecture on the media right now based on a few things MS is actually saying but in the meanwhile it is definitely doing damage to the hype for xboxOne. I have heard from more than a few friends that they are ready to switch to PS4 if half of the rumors are true and these are people who have been hardcore xbox fans since 2001.

Steam is a digital marketplace that offers absurd deals on games. They do this because its just a easy to pirate a game. Consoles are generally pretty hard to use pirated games on (you have to physically install a mod chip). The way things are now, its generally MORE expensive to buy a digital version of a game over Xbox live than it is to buy in store. PS+ is a little different in that they give you a discount for having the premium service, but games are still nowhere near the price of steam.

I really, really don't see this changing. Why would they? There aren't any alternatives (pirating) to buying the game from MS or an approved retailer.

Yes, it's CURRENTLY more expensive to buy online for the console than a physical disk. But my point is that, like Steam, this limits the ability to resell games. That puts more money in the developer's pockets. And the reason Steam has insane sales is because developers realize that it's better to get $10 for a game that's a year or two old rather than nothing. The same thing could very well happen here. If it doesn't, that's a different argument altogether.

Also, I'm pretty sure that "family" member will only be able to play that game if no one else is currently using it. That's how steam handles it, and i expect no difference from MS. So good luck "sharing" when you'll only be able to play when 1 of those 10 other people isnt.

Microsoft's site specifically says that you AND one other family member can play at the same time. And if that's true, then I think it's pretty awesome, depending on how they define "family member." (for example, I only see my sister once every year if I'm lucky -- but we play 360 quite a bit. It'd be nice to be able to play games together that we both don't own but can still share).

I've had an XBox 360 for over 5 years and I love the thing, but after this last week and watching E3, there's no way on earth I will be supporting this piece of crap. What the heck is Microsoft smoking? DRM, daily connectivity check, no used game market, no indie dev support, a Kinect that monitors you, and it costs $100 more than the PS4? They should call it the Xbox Titanic lol

So I'm working from home today and at 12:30 this show comes on Spike about the new Xbox 360 and Xbox One games coming out soon. They've been showing lots of actual game play footage and I have to say that I've never seen anything like this.

I started off with the Atari 2600 back in the early 80s like a lot of you. I was heavily into the Sega Genesis and the Nintendo NES, but then I dropped out of the gaming world prior to the launch of the original PlayStation. I've dabbled a bit here and there, and started getting somewhat heavily into GTA IV on the Xbox 360, but that's about it. I'm very strongly considering picking up an Xbox One when it comes out in November ($499 is the reported price point). These games are absolutely stunning looking!

I can't post Youtube clips while I'm working, so if anyone sees any, please post away.

Pretty much just catching up to PC"s from a few years ago. But its all good. I'll be buying one as well. I love the fact that it's being built on the x86 platform (same as pc's) so games will be more or less compatible between xbox and pc. Nice.

Yeah great! The Apple approach! My wife has a iPhone and daughter and iPod Touch for sometime... Early on they shared the same Apple account (because she was younger)... Now try cutting the umbilical cord (she has her own account)... So sloppy. I straightened it all out only to find that my wife if paying for music that we already own on CD... Boy, I am not a happy camper. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Nobody is to blame but ourselves... Should have just avoided Apple all together.

lol, dude, you know I'm your bro and all, but if you keep avoiding all these companies and products you're going to end up sitting in the middle of an empty room playing with a stick. What products out there DO you like?

Oh, and go 'hawks!! :)

Just think of the "would ya?" Emails flying around....

LMAO...that was a keyboard wetter for me....thanks :)

I've had an XBox 360 for over 5 years and I love the thing, but after this last week and watching E3, there's no way on earth I will be supporting this piece of crap. What the heck is Microsoft smoking? DRM, daily connectivity check, no used game market, no indie dev support, a Kinect that monitors you, and it costs $100 more than the PS4? They should call it the Xbox Titanic lol

:lol:

lol, dude, you know I'm your bro and all, but if you keep avoiding all these companies and products you're going to end up sitting in the middle of an empty room playing with a stick. What products out there DO you like?

what do you think he does currently?

Pretty much just catching up to PC"s from a few years ago. But its all good. I'll be buying one as well. I love the fact that it's being built on the x86 platform (same as pc's) so games will be more or less compatible between xbox and pc. Nice.

I truly had no idea gaming PCs could do that...some of the graphics from that "Ryse: Son of Rome" game and the Battlefield 4 footage would be so epic on a projector that I'd never leave the room.

Sometimes I will go on justin.tv and watch some of the gaming casts just to see what all is going on in that world, but nothing I've ever seen even came close to what I saw yesterday. I know a lot of younger folks take it for granted, but for those of us who started with something like Atari and have that sort of perspective on how far things have come, it's absolutely incredible.

what do you think he does currently?

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt

I have the Xbox One pre-ordered for now, but I'll wait and see.

What I do like Microsoft is doing when it comes to taking advanatage of the mandatory internet connection is that they are going to utilize the cloud to upload dynamic player profiles/tendancies in realtime to replace AI. Like with Forza 5. When your playing single player, you are still playing against human tendancies (millions of other player profiles that are uploaded into the cloud) and not programmed artificial intellegence set forth by the game developer.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The biggest problem is that microsoft gives you no options for the XBoner.

The online features are great, especially for most of us are connected all the time. But the 24 hr REQUIREMENT to check-in is absurd. What happens when the servers go down (See latest sim city)? What happens if you're in a place with spottty or intermitent access to internet, like on a foreign military base? Those kids are some of the biggest gamers out there, but i guess they can't take an xbox out there. Also, what happens when in 5 years they release the Xbox 2 and decide to shutdown the xbox 1 servers? You're left with a $500 paperweight that no longer plays games, unlike every other old game system.

The kinect watching you is downright creepy and Orwellian. What happens when movie execs decide they don't want more than 4 people watching a movie at any given time and use the kinect to spy on you and restrict playback?

The used games issue is nothing more than a money grab, plain and simple. If you buy a game, you own it, so why does Microsoft and the developers "deserve" a cut of any profits you may make after you bought it from them? Its no longer their property. Or, what happens when you're done with a game and want to trade it in towards another new game? I know tons of people that do that, and by restricting used game sales, you're going to restrict total sales as well. Furthermore, you limit any potential new customers that might get in on a new game series only after trying a used version of the original (like i've done many times). Or, on an even lower level, when happens when you're like me, who will sometimes pass along old games i no longer play to some friends that don't have the money to buy new games? they love the freebies, even if they're years old.

The good thing is that Sony basically kicked the **** out of MS with the PS4. I'm still baffled that there are people who look at the xbox1, and say, "so i pay a ton of money to have no control over when and where i can play, and what i can do with my games, all while i'm being watched by microsoft? Sign me up!"

Edited by Ramius

I have the Xbox One pre-ordered for now, but I'll wait and see.

What I do like Microsoft is doing when it comes to taking advanatage of the mandatory internet connection is that they are going to utilize the cloud to upload dynamic player profiles/tendancies in realtime to replace AI. Like with Forza 5. When your playing single player, you are still playing against human tendancies (millions of other player profiles that are uploaded into the cloud) and not programmed artificial intellegence set forth by the game developer.

The problem with using the cloud for video games is that the latency is so high that you're probably better off just using the console to do it. There may be certain things where lag isn't an issue, but anything graphical will absolutely not be done through MS's servers. If everyone had google fiber it might be useful, but US broadband speeds are absolutely **** compared to the rest of the world.

The PS4 is simply the more powerful machine, and any talk of cloud computing for the Xbone is designed to distract you from inferior specs and a higher price.