Xbox One - WOW!!

ajzepp

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the xbox one will be able to do 4k gaming while the PS4 can't.

That's going to end up being a BIG advantage for the Xbox One as the life cycle of these consoles progress.

That confuses me -- they say they can output videos/pictures in 4k, but not games. Huh?

if the Xbox One can, why can't the PS4? It has to be a firmware/software update to enable it I'd think...

You can resell games, but it's limited - and no details yet. Sounds like eBay sales, for example, are out. But remember, it's no different than Steam. (which means they should offer great deals like Steam... Otherwise, I'll agree that the whole thing sucks. :) )

There in lies the rub. If i pay $60 for a game, i want to own the game and do whatever i damn well please with it. I certainly wouldn't mind simply buying a game license if that only cost say, $25-$30.

The more I look into the xbox one, it's actually more "next gen" than the PS4 going into launch and going forward. The price of the consoles are actually the same, but MS forces the kinect for the added price and I think that is a good thing for pushing innovation. Activating the console with your voice. The thing is pretty advanced like being able to see in the dark, get your pulse and such. In a first person shooter you tap your temple to activate night vision. Thats next gen! Move the controller or you body while you are shooting to dodge or raise a shield etc.

Microsoft is also being aggressive with cloud computing, Sony is just sitting back and saying yeah we can do it if we want. Launch titles liken Forza 5 and launch window titles like Titan fall will be implementing cloud computing. On day one of launch Microsoft will have 300,000 servers. Just on day one!

Microsoft just seems more ambitioius to me, like the possibilty of 4k gaming.

I can definitely see why people are upset with the 24 check in making it mandatory to have the internet but the other concerns like privacy is just misinformation as both the xbox one and kinect have power down buttons. You have total control of your privacy restrictions.

As for the DRM, will see it on the PS4 as well.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

other concerns like privacy is just misinformation as both the xbox one and kinect have power down buttons. You have total control of your privacy restrictions.

I actually just wrote an article about this. People who use cellphones have no right to complain about the Kinect, IMHO.

http://www.neowin.ne...s-spying-on-you

Many will disagree (and I don't agree with 100% conviction on what I wrote, but do with the basic premise)

I actually just wrote an article about this. People who use cellphones have no right to complain about the Kinect, IMHO.

http://www.neowin.ne...s-spying-on-you

Many will disagree (and I don't agree with 100% conviction on what I wrote, but do with the basic premise)

Great article.

I like your comments about why the kinect is mandatory for the Xbox one because it WILL be easier to intergrate and innovate going forward through user experiences, media, games etc knowing that the entire user base will have one.

Now for the consiparcy theorists about spying all you have to do is power down the kinect and the xbox one after you are done using the console. It can't do anything when they are both off.

Also what nobody else is talking about is the Xbox ones ability to share your game library digitally to other users across the world. With all the complaints about DRM and used games nobody talks about this excellent feature. Microsoft isn't just doing all this stuff to screw us. A lot of these decisions I consider short term pain for long term gain.

Microsoft seems to be thinking ahead of Sony and I can gaurantee Sony will eventually be adapting to a lot of these policies people are complaining about. It will be interesting to see what is going on in 3 years.

Saw an interesting take on the different console manufacturers...

Something to consider, when choosing which company to get into a relationship with, is the background of each company.

Sony = Electronics Company

Nintendo = Toy Company

Microsoft = Software Company

Where each company comes from is really starting to show in how they approach their gaming consoles.

Oh, and according to Microsoft, if your account ever gets banned (and there have been cases of inaccurate bannings), you lose all of the games you purchased. So I guess Microsoft feels like you should give them your money just for the right to use their stuff for a certain amount of time, but it never actually buys you anything... I learned that leasing is for suckers a long time ago. Again, software company trying to max its profits.

fWpJY1n.png

I am going to keep with my NES... Tecmo Super Bowl like a boss. Bow down.

Good idea. Another thing to think about: All of the old gaming systems can still be used today. I have a working NES as well, and know people that still play their Sega Genesis, GameCubes, etc. Think 10 years down the line, when Microsoft releases their next console and decides to power down the servers that power their XboxOne platform.

That console basically becomes a brick.

The problem with using the cloud for video games is that the latency is so high that you're probably better off just using the console to do it. There may be certain things where lag isn't an issue, but anything graphical will absolutely not be done through MS's servers. If everyone had google fiber it might be useful, but US broadband speeds are absolutely **** compared to the rest of the world.

My understanding atleast with the launch titles that will implement cloud processing like Forza 5, there is no taxing on the system (all that is processed in the cloud) and its condensed into a small file (they say Kilobytes) then sent to the xbox one. Your internet connection won't be an issue. You can play the game offline too.

In the end it doesn't even matter if any of the complaints about the XBox One are legit - they've already lost. This sh*tstorm is a PR nightmare and is going to be incredibly difficult to overcome even if they have the superior product. Microsoft screwed the pooch with their launch party.

My guess is Microsoft will do a 180 and announce that you won't have to be connected every 24 hours and they'll figure something out about game sharing as well but by then it will be too late because people have already made up their minds. They had the opportunity to make a big splash and they did - but not the one they had hoped. I guarantee right now they are scrambling to try and figure out how to fix this mess.

The comment above about where the companies come from was a good one (though they stated Nintendo was a "toy" company which isn't true, it's a software company who uses a console to get their games out.) Sony isn't that interested in selling games, they sell electronics so they aren't as interested in protecting a gaming company's products with "anti-pirating" safe-guards. They know that if they sell more consoles than anybody else those game companies will be lining up to release games on their platform.

Also, all the talk about "why do I have to buy the kinect" is missing the entire point of consol gaming. What software developers like about consoles is they know that EVERYBODY has the same system specs and they can design a game specifically around those specs. With PC gaming they have no clue what systems they have. In the history of consol gaming there have been very few add ons that have ever been successful because a software company isn't going to limit their market by designing games that utilize a piece of equipment that only a limited number of gamers have. If a company wants something to be a primary part of the gaming experience they have to include it with the console.

Edited by MDH

Saw an interesting take on the different console manufacturers...

Something to consider, when choosing which company to get into a relationship with, is the background of each company.

Sony = Electronics Company

Nintendo = Toy Company

Microsoft = Software Company

Where each company comes from is really starting to show in how they approach their gaming consoles.

Oh, and according to Microsoft, if your account ever gets banned (and there have been cases of inaccurate bannings), you lose all of the games you purchased. So I guess Microsoft feels like you should give them your money just for the right to use their stuff for a certain amount of time, but it never actually buys you anything... I learned that leasing is for suckers a long time ago. Again, software company trying to max its profits.

fWpJY1n.png

A Microsoft employee said this information is wrong. If you are banned from xbox live you will still have access to your game library to play offline.

Also he stated the system is designed for flexibility so after the life cycle is over they can make firmware changes so you will still have access to your games. It won't become a "brick".

Does the PS4 have an HDMI IN port? Another thing I learned this morning is that with the Xbox one you can tether your xbox 360, set top box, or your pc to the xbox one. The more I get past the outcry that is mostly misinformation, the xbox one is actually the true "next gen" console.

In the end it doesn't even matter if any of the complaints about the XBox One are legit - they've already lost. This sh*tstorm is a PR nightmare and is going to be incredibly difficult to overcome even if they have the superior product. Microsoft screwed the pooch with their launch party.

I disagree. You can't "lose" the console battle before it's even started. Even more importantly, there doesn't have to be a "winner" and a "loser." Did the PS3 "lose" to the Xbox 360 this generation? The 360 sold more units, but I think they both did fine. The same will happen this time around. This isn't like the HD /Blu-Ray battle where you knew they couldn't both win.

All of this IMHO, of course. :)

Regarding bricking the system after 10 years, banned users getting screwed, etc, etc:

http://www.neowin.ne...-xbox-one-games

It's not about which console is "winning", it's about a company that is listening to what its customers want, and another company that is trying to tell customers what they want.

This is what happens when you pull the crap that Microsoft is trying to pull. And yeah, of course they can modify the firmware to stop the daily check after say, 10 years or so. Where did they say they are ever going to do that? Ask the Halo 2 players about Microsoft servers lol.

The XBone will sell units I'm sure, there's an entire legion of 13 year-olds that will be screaming for Call Of Duty this Christmas. Microsoft knows they could build a system that literally kicks you in the nuts every morning and they still would sell units.