Mario Williams excited, confident with undefined role

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Mario-Williams-excited-confident-with-undefined-role/b8656aaf-fc8b-4fad-8c43-4968c4aad4af?campaign=BillsBuzz

“I think because I’ve done it before and things are working out pretty well,” said Williams when asked why he feels Pettine has put trust in him to handle a multi-dimensional defensive role. “I think they have faith in me in that situation and they know that I want to do it. Big guys want to play little guys positions and being that I have the ability to do it I’m up for it.”

Last year he insisted he wanted one particular end spot and now he is veritable? It does not seem consistent.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Mario-Williams-excited-confident-with-undefined-role/b8656aaf-fc8b-4fad-8c43-4968c4aad4af?campaign=BillsBuzz

“I think because I’ve done it before and things are working out pretty well,” said Williams when asked why he feels Pettine has put trust in him to handle a multi-dimensional defensive role. “I think they have faith in me in that situation and they know that I want to do it. Big guys want to play little guys positions and being that I have the ability to do it I’m up for it.”

Last year he insisted he wanted one particular end spot and now he is veritable? It does not seem consistent.

what did you expect him to say? i think its clear he prefers 43 DE but has shown he will roll with the changes if they are forced on him

I imagine Mario likes Pettine's scheme b/c it will move him around alot. That will disguise the direction he'll be coming from to rush the passer, ergo, his sack production should increase. I am also wondering this: if MW will be lining up at OLB in Pettine's base 3/4 much of the time, does that take pressure off Lawson and Hughes to be starting contributors right away? For that matter, does the same go for Mark Anderson on the other side?

I'm sure you don't have to think too hard to figure out why he would express satisfaction in his role last year and then express satisfaction in his new role this year.

http://www.buffalobi...paign=BillsBuzz

As long as he makes plays, that's all that matters.

Looking back on the year last year, I think Mario will be more successful this year. Let's not forget that he played injured for the first half of the season and still managed to put up 11.5 sacks. Bruce Smith in his wonder years was a 13-14 sack a season guy and only hit 19 one year. In hindsight, I think he may have put up one of the most quiet 11.5 sack seasons that we've ever seen. Many labeled him a bust, but I think that stems from how bad the run defense was. At the end of the day, there's not 4 guys that you can put on a defensive line that will be great at stopping the run without the support of good linebacker play. The Bills definitely lacked on that front. I'm looking forward to what Mario can do this year.