Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Sure he might be disgruntled, but he'll have numerous reasons to still want to play at a high level.

and parker had jones out in seattle play 3 years under the tag, so its not impossible that they would simply skip OTAs and most/all of camp annually and suit up week one.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and parker had jones out in seattle play 3 years under the tag, so its not impossible that they would simply skip OTAs and most/all of camp annually and suit up week one.

Possibly. But IIRC, Jones was playing in the same system all those years. Not to mention he had the ability to dominate no matter what the scheme. If they want to take a chance showing up for game 1 and risking him having a slow start and possibly missing out on the Pro Bowl +/- all-pro, that's their prerogative.

And why the hell do I have 3 warning points?

you probably breathed wrong. At one point they were giving them out like a child toucher gives out candy.

Oh crap, I probably just got another one.

Edited by mrags

You are not the only person who inexplicably got assessed warning points. Join the club. At first I was upset, and wanted to get an explanation. When I inquired as to why I was given a warning I got no response.

Don't worry about it. If you believe that it is an unfair assessment then don't let it bother you or take it personally. I very often disagree with your postings but I have never observed an attack response coming from you. Maybe the monitor felt that your regular WEO extended duels got a little out of hand. Maybe that is where the flag was improperly thrown? LOL

Edited by JohnC

Possibly. But IIRC, Jones was playing in the same system all those years. Not to mention he had the ability to dominate no matter what the scheme. If they want to take a chance showing up for game 1 and risking him having a slow start and possibly missing out on the Pro Bowl +/- all-pro, that's their prerogative.

I have 5. They never really explain why.

PTR

That's the only part of your post that I don't agree with.

I think I kind of sloppily articulated it, but in baseball they talk about wins above replacement level, and one is worth about $5MM on the market. I don't know if football does this - I imagine it would help form the basis of a strong analytics department. But I think you could safely judge Byrd to provide some good value above a replacement level player, and decent value exceeding an average player. As far as what I meant, I was saying that Byrd on the field could be worth an extra win or two for the team vs. a guy who hasn't played the position before. If they win an extra game or two, there's more ticket sales and there's higher potential for a playoff game. I feel like that could all be worth an extra million dollars at the end of the day -- for this season only, not per annum.

I think I kind of sloppily articulated it, but in baseball they talk about wins above replacement level, and one is worth about $5MM on the market. I don't know if football does this - I imagine it would help form the basis of a strong analytics department. But I think you could safely judge Byrd to provide some good value above a replacement level player, and decent value exceeding an average player. As far as what I meant, I was saying that Byrd on the field could be worth an extra win or two for the team vs. a guy who hasn't played the position before. If they win an extra game or two, there's more ticket sales and there's higher potential for a playoff game. I feel like that could all be worth an extra million dollars at the end of the day -- for this season only, not per annum.

realistically, every negotiation has some level of that in it, but with a sport like football where there are fewer plays and no individual plays its harder to tease out a firm number. a guys batting ability over several hundred at bats is much easier to quantify into a number than who reads a play better at safety.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm fresh off a 7 day suspension, for what I truly do not know. But hey, it's good to be back! Ha!

I'm sure you used the time to get your batteries recharged and are ready to get back into the fray.

I don't want to be too critical of monitors who volunteer their time doing their best to make sure things don't get out of hand. When I was assessed a personal foul I didn't even know exactly where and when I committed my infraction. I do appreciate the people who take the time to monitor the discussions. However, a short explanation and pointing out where the so-called indiscretion occurred would be useful.

Edited by JohnC

realistically, every negotiation has some level of that in it, but with a sport like football where there are fewer plays and no individual plays its harder to tease out a firm number. a guys batting ability over several hundred at bats is much easier to quantify into a number than who reads a play better at safety.

This is true.

I'm sure you used the time to get your batteries recharged and are ready to get back into the fray.

I don't want to be too critical of monitors who volunteer their time doing their best to make sure things don't get out of hand. When I was assessed a personal foul I didn't even know exactly where and when I committed my infraction. I do appreciate the people who take the time to monitor the discussions. However, a short explanation and pointing out where the so-called indiscretion occurred would be useful.

Agreed WRT an explanation. It's hard to correct a problem if you don't know what it is. And I understand that we're all guests here.

I have 5. They never really explain why.

PTR

I feel like an underachiever now because I only have one. I think for mine I used a bad word or phrase in a post that was not PG rated (and not filtered). IIRC at the time I didn't think the word/phrase was so bad (though to be honest I don't remember now what it was) but so be it. Kids can come here I believe so I was probably out of line.

... He definitely got better against the run, but he's nowhere near excellent in that regard in my opinion. His play vs. the run--particularly in games against Tennesee, SF, and NE, was very poor. Now, I believe that Wanny's scheme asked the safeties to do too much to support the run, but nevertheless, Byrd was a liability in a few different situations in those games.

That said, your point about his opportunistic ball skills--both in the run and pass game--is not lost on me. He has a Peanut Tillman-like knack for forcing turnover opportunities, and that needs to be considered.

I agree he got better against the run, but I don't think he's elite in that regard as well. When he's near the ball, he can make things happen. We've all seen that. I just don't think he's near the ball enough, though. If he were, he'd be elite in my mind. But, like I said, he's limited. Richardson's TD run in the Cleveland game is an example. He guessed wrong, got bottled up, and wasn't in a position to make a play.

GO BILLS!!!

any reliability meter on them? i wish theyd give ANY indication of how they got the report - some dude on the street tweeting it to them? someone at the facility thats a real source?

I don't know, but they said they saw him with papers in his hand. That's a lot more detailed than "George Seifert was spotted at the Buffalo airport..."