Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

I surprised at how many posters think it's perfectly fine for one of the team leaders and THE leader of the defensive secondary to miss all of the OTAs and minicamp when the team has a new coaching staff and a new fairly complex defense in order to help his negotiating position. I'm concerned that Byrd is going to have a slow start to the season and poor chemistry with his teammates. And if he misses training camp too then I'd add injuries to my list of concerns.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean THE leader of one of the worst Defenses in the NFL the last few seasons? THE leader on a team that can't garner a winning record let alone get in the playoffs? Yeah huge loss there. Trade him before the window to get anything for him closes.

I surprised at how many posters think it's perfectly fine for one of the team leaders and THE leader of the defensive secondary to miss all of the OTAs and minicamp when the team has a new coaching staff and a new fairly complex defense in order to help his negotiating position. I'm concerned that Byrd is going to have a slow start to the season and poor chemistry with his teammates. And if he misses training camp too then I'd add injuries to my list of concerns.

I don't think it's fine, it's definitely not helping. If they don't get a deal done by July 15th and he skips training camp, then I think you will see public sentiment turn against him. K-9 you owe me a video of Byrd getting smoked....

You mean THE leader of one of the worst Defenses in the NFL the last few seasons? THE leader on a team that can't garner a winning record let alone get in the playoffs? Yeah huge loss there. Trade him before the window to get anything for him closes.

LOL, the leader role he played lead to the worst defense in the NFL. This is a good way of putting it.

They still have what 1 1/2 months too get a deal done. Byrd is trying to get paid and wont risked being hurt before then.

July 15th is the last day that the player and team can work out a multi-year deal. If no deal is done by then Byrd can only play under the terms of the one-year franchise tag.

So we're 34 days away from that deadline… closer to 33 days really.

I don't think it's fine, it's definitely not helping. If they don't get a deal done by July 15th and he skips training camp, then I think you will see public sentiment turn against him. K-9 you owe me a video of Byrd getting smoked....

I don't know if I'd classify him getting "smoked" when he's late or fooled on a play, but here's two against the 49ers. The first is the touchdown I referred to earlier when he's in a cover-1 and late to get over. The second is also an example of his lack of premier athleticism. Doesn't make him a bad player by any stretch, he's a great player, don't get me wrong. But there are times when his lack of speed has hurt us since he came into the league.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap1000000077896/Crabtree-28-yard-touchdown-catch

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000077907/Crabtree-36-yard-reception

I rechecked the Cleveland TD and you're right. I mistook him for Searcy, I think. But I don't get too many of these plays wrong and I'll stand by my evlauation. If you're ever inclined, you can look at the All-22 or even some highlights from regular angles and you'll see he has had problems closing on the ball at times. I'm not going to go through the trouble of linking a dozen plays to prove a point. They are there. Again, that doesn't make him less than a great player but there are holes in his game and he's been victimized. I think it's wrong for profootballfocus to neglect to point this out.

GO BILLS!!!

K-9 ,

last year he looked lost . Not as bad a george did or Barnett did but i thought he looked confused when he was beaten.

Would a different scheme or coaching style put him a in a better situation to succeed ?

One play last year and i dont know when , I swore he looked behind him to see who was playing over coverage.

More importantly could Pettine's magical system paint him into a much improved setting . It seems to me Byrd should have everything in front of him more often than not . We have guys now that may blitz and stack much better than Jairus. Let him rove and attack.

I know he did not do that well wtih angles and has little make up speed but I feel he would have what i assume to be the new Bills defense but you as others are more a student of the game. I have thought this new defense he would be frothing at the mouth to play in ?

K-9 ,

last year he looked lost . Not as bad a george did or Barnett did but i thought he looked confused when he was beaten.

Would a different scheme or coaching style put him a in a better situation to succeed ?

One play last year and i dont know when , I swore he looked behind him to see who was playing over coverage.

More importantly could Pettine's magical system paint him into a much improved setting . It seems to me Byrd should have everything in front of him more often than not . We have guys now that may blitz and stack much better than Jairus. Let him rove and attack.

I know he did not do that well wtih angles and has little make up speed but I feel he would have what i assume to be the new Bills defense but you as others are more a student of the game. I have thought this new defense he would be frothing at the mouth to play in ?

No one trusted anyone last year. It made for many a disaster. Byrd generally did very well despite this.

K-9 ,

I think you make some good points here. I think any FS would benefit from playing in Pettine's system. My hunch is that Pettine would want to use him like he did Ed Reed in Baltimore: as a playmaking centerfielder that just flies to the ball though his lack of speed may not lend itself to that type of role. But I'm sure Pettine would find a use for a solid, ball-hawking FS with good instincts most of the time.

Once these players get comfortable in this system (I think at least half the year before they do) it's going to rock. It's a fun defense to play in, High risk, high reward. I hope Byrd is a part of it.

GO BILLS!!!

No one trusted anyone last year. It made for many a disaster. Byrd generally did very well despite this.

That was my take too. For those whom enjoy stats he did well there .

I dont so much and i was dissapointed all around and him included. he survived better than some. Maybe he is traumatized .

I heard Marios mini fridge was in dissaray at times last season. I dont know what more proof any one needs that it was ALL Wannstadt all the time that had heads hanging .

K-9 ..i agree whole heartedly that this team might well be great fun to watch develop.

I know that i am stocked in popcorn already. and have cancelled all my Sunday appts for the season.

Edited by 3rdand12

Byrd would finally get to play in the box now and then under Pettine. Yes he's a good cover safety and a majority of the time I want him ballhawking; he's also a sure tackler with good instincts vs. the run. I have to think Pettine would love that versatility, and make good use of it in an effort to disguise and confuse the offense.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Fell flat the next? He had his best year last year. He didn't allow a single TD in coverage, and as QB's shied away from him (only 21 targets), he still managed to pick off 5 balls and change the outcome of at least 1 game (maybe 2). He's the best coverage free safety in the league, and aside from an aging Ed Reed the best free safety in the league period. If you indeed watched his play last year and considered it average, you either a) don't know the difference between a strong safety and a free safety, or b) need to cut back on your liquor intake during these games. There wasn't a better free safety on the field last year, and I'm not just saying that as some blindly-devoted Bills' homer.

If you want to make the argument that a safety isn't worth $8M+, okay, that discussion has legs. But to say he's average and can be upgraded is laughable.

Laugh heartily. -But for a second round pick and a couple mid-rounders, I'd cheerfully trade him away... For a first, I'd wear a dress while signing the paperwork. A good eye doesn't just see talent.. A good eye recognizes when that talent has reached it's limit. Somewhere out there, in some needy franchise's FO, there's a CHUMP with a brain that works a bit like yours. I say we FIND THAT GUY, and get a deal done before he's fired by the people he let down.

There's a buttload of fresh, young, talent going into TC... Call me crazy, but the I think the Bills secondary has a future with or without Jairus Byrd.

Okay...let's all get real. I think most if not all admit he is at least the best defensive player on a bad defensive team, and some say a very good defensive player, and some say an all pro or close to it player. Most defensive players on the Bills with a few exceptions are mediocre (or, judging from their play don't give a cr@p.) This "re structuring" team is going to go into pre-season with this festering sore? Not a good start. Get him signed and concentrate on football. Alternatively do what we always do with hard choices, and dump him...see....McGahey, Lynch, Peters, Winfield,Clemens, Whitner et al.

Okay...let's all get real. I think most if not all admit he is at least the best defensive player on a bad defensive team, and some say a very good defensive player, and some say an all pro or close to it player. Most defensive players on the Bills with a few exceptions are mediocre (or, judging from their play don't give a cr@p.) This "re structuring" team is going to go into pre-season with this festering sore? Not a good start. Get him signed and concentrate on football. Alternatively do what we always do with hard choices, and dump him...see....McGahey, Lynch, Peters, Winfield,Clemens, Whitner et al.

I disagree that he's the best defensive player on the team. I'd rank Mario, Kyle, and even Gilmore as better at their respective positions.

I love the term "restructuring" team.

GO BILLS!!!

Who are they going to spend all of this cap money on b.c no other player is going to cost lots of money. They will get Byrd signed just not anytime soon

Do you want to re-sign Woods and Spiller? If yes then they will take a big chunk of the cap. I would like Byrd signed also but there are other considerations.

Do you want to re-sign Woods and Spiller? If yes then they will take a big chunk of the cap. I would like Byrd signed also but there are other considerations.

We have time with Spiller. Woods won't get a huge contract all that cap space is no where needed for Wood this is all for the Byrd signing. Wood will be paid but he also has to prove he can go without injury.

July 15th is the last day that the player and team can work out a multi-year deal. If no deal is done by then Byrd can only play under the terms of the one-year franchise tag.

So we're 34 days away from that deadline… closer to 33 days really.

I think the bills will get it done before then, if they are smart. and I believe they are getting a bit smarter in the way they do things but we shall see...

Lets just move on with Aaron Williams at free safety. And put $6.91m to better use. Hope Jairus saved up some money from last year as he is not getting a pay check from the Bills any time soon. Tell Parker that he has our best offer, take it or leave it. Two first round picks if you want to play for someone else, assuming another team would pay more than $7m.