June Movies: Man of Steel, World War Z, & Monsters U....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw "Man of Steel" last night and was thinking about how devastated Metropolis was by the end. But I liked it a lot, more than most recent movies. Sure there was some silly stuff and the plot could have been tightened-up a bit, but otherwise a real good film.

Finally, Channing Tatum & Jamie Foxx star in "White House Down". While on a tour of the White House with his young daughter, a Capitol policeman springs into action to save his child and protect the president from a heavily armed group of paramilitary invaders. Also starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, Richard Jenkins & James Woods.

Is Maggie Gyllenhall playing an attractive woman again? It is amazing how she consistently gets type cast in that role. It is as if Wallace Shawn was always cast as an inner city black youth. I don't know how she does it.

Sandra Bullock & Melissa McCarthy star in the buddy comedy, "The Heat". Uptight FBI special agent Sarah Ashburn is paired with testy Boston cop Shannon Mullins in order to take down a ruthless drug lord. The hitch: neither woman has ever had a partner -- or a friend for that matter.

6/28

"The Heat": http://www.theheatmovie.com/

Saw this tonight at a sneak preview, definitely a good comedy. I did not think it was appropriate for young kids like the 7 year old I saw in the audience though.

Saw this tonight at a sneak preview, definitely a good comedy. I did not think it was appropriate for young kids like the 7 year old I saw in the audience though.

I saw "Ted" on a Friday in downtown Hartford and there were many kids under 10 there with their "parents." Sad.

I saw "Ted" on a Friday in downtown Hartford and there were many kids under 10 there with their "parents." Sad.

I saw Freddy vs. Jason years ago -- and there were a bunch of 5-6 year old kids in the theater. Great parenting.

I saw Freddy vs. Jason years ago -- and there were a bunch of 5-6 year old kids in the theater. Great parenting.

When I saw the Simpsons Movie, there was a large group taking up the whole row behind us. Two adults, and the rest kids under the age of 6. I'm sorry, the Simpsons was not a movie suitable for six year olds.

(The best part is that one of the adults spent the entirety of the first half of the movie talking on the phone. Loudly. When my wife asked her to stop, she yelled at my wife "Can't you see I'm on the phone?" I almost punched the B word. We got our money back for that showing.)

When I saw the Simpsons Movie, there was a large group taking up the whole row behind us. Two adults, and the rest kids under the age of 6. I'm sorry, the Simpsons was not a movie suitable for six year olds.

(The best part is that one of the adults spent the entirety of the first half of the movie talking on the phone. Loudly. When my wife asked her to stop, she yelled at my wife "Can't you see I'm on the phone?" I almost punched the B word. We got our money back for that showing.)

Wow, I admire your restraint.

We got our money back for that showing.)

Freddy vs. Jason was the first and only time I've asked for my money back at the theater. The kids were talking, running around, crying, etc. I told the manager that kids shouldn't be allowed in, and he claimed his hands are tied because the parents brought them in.

What a jerk. I don't know how you and your wife restrained yourselves.

Freddy vs. Jason was the first and only time I've asked for my money back at the theater. The kids were talking, running around, crying, etc. I told the manager that kids shouldn't be allowed in, and he claimed his hands are tied because the parents brought them in.

Unfortunately the manager cannot prevent kids from seeing a movie if they are brought in with their parents. The manager should have told the parents to leave if they couldn't control their kids.

Saw two movies this past weekend:

- Man of Steel: Quite good especially compared to the last iteration. Cavill, Shannon and Crowe are all very good. I just wish they had tamed down the violence and destruction in the last half hour. Frankly, it took away the intensity of the climax.

- World War Z: Surprisingly entertaining movie. I went in not expecting much and came away impressed.