Deacon Jones has passed away

bbb

I can't say I was a fan. He kind of annoyed me yukking it up with "Romey" about how great he was............Adam Carolla plays clip of him on NFL Films explaining that the headslap is good to slow a man - or a woman. What??............But, I liked him when I was a kid and he definitely was an excellent player:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208873/article/deacon-jones-fearsome-master-of-the-qb-sack-dies-at-74

Deacon Jones, along with Reggie White and Bruce, was one of the top 3 defensive ends of all time. I was young when I saw him but he was flat out spectacular. He was the Bob Gibson of Football in terms of intimidation. I once heard him say in an interview that he would "kill a man" if he did a dance after scoring touchdown. He wasn't smiling.

RIP Deacon.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Deacon Jones and the fearsome foursome were ahead of their time..glad to say I can remember them wreaking havoc in their blue and WHITE rams unis!

Also interesting is Jones, Rosie Grier and Merlin Olsen all had legit. acting careers after retirement.

RIP Deacon.

True story: last night at a HOF dinner coordinated by BB's Mary Owen (I met her, Mary Wilson, Russ and Marv), Jack Youngblood introduced himself as Deacon Jones. I said, "well you two do kinda look alike," and Dave Wilcox, Tom Mack and Ted Hendricks all laughed. Youngblood, on the other hand, looked like he wanted to punch me in the face.

And then Deacon Jones died.

:blink:

I loved when they interviewed him on NFL Films. His mental makeup is what made him "Deacon". Wish I could say I saw him play. This made me stop what I was doing today when I found out.

But for him to do what he did during a period of serious racism in this country makes him a hero in my eyes. May he rest in Peace, he damn sure earned the right.

RIP Mr. Deacon Jones

Deacon coined the word SACK , used the head slap as tool to knock the o-lineman off balance. The sack was not a stat when he played but some college kid look at all his film and totaled more then 270 SACKS. Has a great book called Head Slap. R.I.P D .J.

True story: last night at a HOF dinner coordinated by BB's Mary Owen (I met her, Mary Wilson, Russ and Marv), Jack Youngblood introduced himself as Deacon Jones. I said, "well you two do kinda look alike," and Dave Wilcox, Tom Mack and Ted Hendricks all laughed. Youngblood, on the other hand, looked like he wanted to punch me in the face.

And then Deacon Jones died.

:blink:

This happened last night? In Canton?

This happened last night? In Canton?

In Chicago. And yes.

I know, it's insane.

There's a golf tournament going on right now, they did a moment of silence.

Since I was working, I couldn't creep on Russ and Ms. Wilson, et al TOO much. But there was one photo I wasn't leaving without:

w4t7PYOl.jpg

Edited by taC giB ehT