Deacon Jones has passed away

bbb

RIP Deacon.

On a side note... I wonder how much the "head slap" helped him? I know it wasn't illegal then, but from most of what I've seen, that was his main tactic to throw a lineman off balance and put pressure on a QB. Not knocking him or his accomplishments (hard to compare era's), but the man was a stout 6'5" and 272 lbs, while most O-lineman of the era were "only" 6'3" and 251 lbs. He also played side by side with some of the great Defensive linemen of the era. Of course he played in fewer games and also played in a less "pass happy" era, so comparing players from different era's isn't that simple.

The fact is he was a dominant force during his time and will always be recognized as one of the best DE's to play the game.

Awesome! How's Marv doing? I'd love the chance to talk to him just one time.

[Apologies for the hijack] Marv was just awesome. Anthony Munoz was MC'ing QnA, and Marv got on the mic and just KILLED it.

My wife and I got married last October. We wrote our own vows and I ended mine with "there's no place I'd rather be then right here, right now." I told Marv and his wife Fran about that, and she thought it was the greatest thing she ever heard.

[Apologies for the hijack] Marv was just awesome. Anthony Munoz was MC'ing QnA, and Marv got on the mic and just KILLED it.

My wife and I got married last October. We wrote our own vows and I ended mine with "there's no place I'd rather be then right here, right now." I told Marv and his wife Fran about that, and she thought it was the greatest thing she ever heard.

That is so cool. Marv could have been President of the USA - he was so smart and gave such great speeches............Now I see Pat Kirwin today has the Chiefs firing Marv as the stupidest NFL firing in history:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pat-kirwan/22343026/these-10-nfl-head-coach-firings-are-worst-of-the-worst

My husband and I met Deacon Jones in 1999 at Bruce Smith's charity golf tournament in Virginia Beach (we attended as reps for Electronic Arts, my employer at the time). Deacon Jones was the funniest, most gracious athlete there (after Bruce, who was incredibly kind to us)...so sorry to hear he has passed, he is my mom's age. 74 is too young! RIP Mr. Jones.

The sack was not a stat when he played but some college kid look at all his film and totaled more then 270 SACKS.

The kid might be a little off. John Turney and Nick Webster of the PFRA have gone through the films and came up with 173.5 for Jones. I have been buried in the NFL Films archives with them. I trust their research more than anyone.