90's Bills Trading Cards

Hey Guys,

I was going through my old things and found a collection of late 80's and early 90's Buffalo trading cards. Kent Hull, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Pete Metzelaars and some other Buffalo greats. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to have these valued online. I'm aware each card is different based on make, year, condition, etc. Anyone heard of, or have used, any online service to have these checked out?

P.s my favorite is the 1994 Pinnacle Bruce Smith card. What a mean looking S.O.B...

Thanks!

Dude they're not worth anything. I think the best cards you could have would be Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed's Topps rookie cards and even those I can't imagine being worth very much in 2013. I have several of each and they're sitting in a binder in my parents' basement. Perhaps many years from now they'll be worth something. You'd be best served holding onto them in the event that they are as opposed to trying to squeeze a few bucks for them now.

Hey Guys,

I was going through my old things and found a collection of late 80's and early 90's Buffalo trading cards. Kent Hull, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Pete Metzelaars and some other Buffalo greats. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to have these valued online. I'm aware each card is different based on make, year, condition, etc. Anyone heard of, or have used, any online service to have these checked out?

P.s my favorite is the 1994 Pinnacle Bruce Smith card. What a mean looking S.O.B...

Thanks!

I have been collecting and selling cards for decades. If you want an accurate gauge of what your cards are worth, go to EBAY, Look them up,,,click on "completed listings"...hate to say it, but you will likely find that the cards are of minimal value. There are not as many people collecting seriously these days, and those who are aware that pretty much anything produced between 1986 and 1997 does not have a lot of value. The cards, as nice as some of them are (that Pinnacle set is really nice) were mass produced. Newer cards have a bit more value, because the manufacturers started to realize (or acknowledge) that the secondary, re-sale market would make or break them. So, their solution was to produce more different sets, but to produce each in much smaller quantity.

Dude they're not worth anything. I think the best cards you could have would be Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed's Topps rookie cards and even those I can't imagine being worth very much in 2013. I have several of each and they're sitting in a binder in my parents' basement. Perhaps many years from now they'll be worth something. You'd be best served holding onto them in the event that they are as opposed to trying to squeeze a few bucks for them now.

Their best value is to a Bills fan. There are those (like somebody who linked their EBAY listing on the Trading Post a month or so ago) who will list this stuff with vague descriptions, and pretend they have no idea how much they are worth...and some casual fan will buy them, not knowing any better...this person got $50 or so, for what was essentially a pile of cards that were worth a few dollars. I have boxes and boxes of this stuff...I am not getting rich selling them. Make no mistake though, even though they have little monetary value, they are still pretty nice cards. Unfortunate, I suppose, for Bills fans who are collectors, the teams "golden era" (the Super Bowl years) just happen to coincide with the period of the collecting industry that produced the most, and least valuable cards. A Jim Kelly rookie card (1984 Topps USFL set) in its' prime, could sell from anywhere from 100-175 dollars. Now, you can get one for about 20-30. His NFL rookie card (1987 Topps) at one time had a value of around $45-50 dollars. Now, you would be lucky to get $5-7 for one. It is in no way a reflection of the players, just the dearth of cards that were produced back in those days.

I have been collecting and selling cards for decades. If you want an accurate gauge of what your cards are worth, go to EBAY, Look them up,,,click on "completed listings"...hate to say it, but you will likely find that the cards are of minimal value. There are not as many people collecting seriously these days, and those who are aware that pretty much anything produced between 1986 and 1997 does not have a lot of value. The cards, as nice as some of them are (that Pinnacle set is really nice) were mass produced. Newer cards have a bit more value, because the manufacturers started to realize (or acknowledge) that the secondary, re-sale market would make or break them. So, their solution was to produce more different sets, but to produce each in much smaller quantity.

I agree. Good post. I have tons of 80's and 90s sets that aren't worth much. So I have a trophy case in my den and put all the Bills rookies in one area on display. Got the Reed, Kelly, Thurman, Smith rookies along with some good ones in Steve Young, Rice, Marcus Allen, Marino, Elway, Sweetness. Kinda like my little football shrine. Like others have said in this thread, the mass production killed their values.

Do you have a cocktail table in your man-cave? Get a piece of glass the size of the cocktail table, arrange the cards on top of the table, and put the glass on top of them. You can look at them while you drink and watch football, not spilling a drop on them.

Do you have a cocktail table in your man-cave? Get a piece of glass the size of the cocktail table, arrange the cards on top of the table, and put the glass on top of them. You can look at them while you drink and watch football, not spilling a drop on them.

I did this a few years ago. came out nice. covered it with Bills, Sabres, Braves and others that I found interesting

Google is your friend.

I googled "sports card appraisals online" and came up with this site http://prices.sportslizard.com/ which states that your 1994 Pinnacle Bruce Smith card is worth $2.40 depending on condition.

Haha. So classic. I picture my grand kids one day opening my boxes of sports cards, and realizing they're worth less than for what I bought them 50 years ago.

I never thought of selling, just merely was curious. I appreciate the blunt honesty. The best value they will receive is to me and my own memories.

Might have to look into that.

Are they still mass producing trading cards? Maybe I should pick up a mint condition Rookie E.J. Manuel card...

I haven't collected cards since 97 maybe..but it used to be that insert cards where worth a bit more..except for reg rookie cards maybe....I personally like insert cards more, they're usually more flashy and better looking...some sets back in the late 90's would do sets in different colors and then say the worth is dependent on the color you got..example: reg set would look normal..then they'd have a red set that had a red tint in background then a blue set..so on...dependent on card company....I remember one year I bumped into playboy playmate Julie lynn Cialinie(sp) and she was dating 49er's QB Jim Drunkenmiller at the time..anyways I sold her some of my Drunkenmiller inserts she needed for a collage she was making....

anyways, I'm thinking of getting some rookie cards from this year..really like this rookie class....what was the topic again??..lol

I haven't collected cards since 97 maybe..but it used to be that insert cards where worth a bit more..except for reg rookie cards maybe....I personally like insert cards more, they're usually more flashy and better looking...some sets back in the late 90's would do sets in different colors and then say the worth is dependent on the color you got..example: reg set would look normal..then they'd have a red set that had a red tint in background then a blue set..so on...dependent on card company....I remember one year I bumped into playboy playmate Julie lynn Cialinie(sp) and she was dating 49er's QB Jim Drunkenmiller at the time..anyways I sold her some of my Drunkenmiller inserts she needed for a collage she was making....

anyways, I'm thinking of getting some rookie cards from this year..really like this rookie class....what was the topic again??..lol

DOOOMMMEDDDD!

My dad has two early 1960's Bills AFL pennants with the standing red buffalo that might be worth a couple of dollars...They are in very nice condition.

OK, I'll give you a couple dollars for them. Need my address?

Juli Lynn Cialini

My dad has two early 1960's Bills AFL pennants with the standing red buffalo that might be worth a couple of dollars...They are in very nice condition.

Not so good with this kind of stuff. I have seen some of these kinds of things go for $100, and others for a "couple of dollars".

Visit the Trading Post, one of the sub-forums on The Stadium Wall. I will be listing some stuff soon. Some EJ, Kikio Robert Woods, Goodwin autograph cards, along with lots of other old and current vet favorites!

Awesome. Update when possible Buftex!

Whole bunch of stuff listed, mostly Bills lots...EJ Manuel, Robert Woods, Goodwin, Da'Rick Rogers, Alonso...autograph cards from most of the rookies, as well as the likes of Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman, Andre Reed, Marv Levy, Jack Kemp, Fergy.... here is a link to my listings...make me a reasonable offer, and mention TSW in your offer... :thumbsup: There is also a nice lot of 2013 rookie Bills cards, and EJ cards that are not autographed...if you are on a budget! Thanks for looking.

http://www.ebay.com/...=p2047675.l2562

Edited by Buftex

I have one of just about every Jim Kelly card made up to 1995. I would go to card shows and buy every one I saw. Sadly the collection has very little monetary value, but it is fun to look through. Tons of great pictures. I have a card holder wall frame in my bar room that I put all the Bills rookies from the glory years in. Looks nice and makes me happy.

I have one of just about every Jim Kelly card made up to 1995. I would go to card shows and buy every one I saw. Sadly the collection has very little monetary value, but it is fun to look through. Tons of great pictures. I have a card holder wall frame in my bar room that I put all the Bills rookies from the glory years in. Looks nice and makes me happy.

Nice.

BTW, is your avatar a Cornhole game?

I have added a few lots of Bills 2013 rookie cards, non-autographed. Pretty exciting bunch of rookies!

EJ Manuel, Robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin, Chris Gragg, Da'Rick Rogers, Kiko Alonso:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a2da4d4e1

EJ Manuel lot:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19dd993ab1

Some really nice Bills autograph lots:

A- Bill Brooks, Marcell Dareus, Marcus Easley, RyanFitzpatrick, Jack Kemp,

Stevie Johnson, Da’Rick Rogers, Thurman Thomas, Chris White

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-M-JACK-KEMP-thurman- thomas-SPILLER-moulds-/181150299232?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d663460#ht_649wt_1170

B- KikoAlonso, Nigel Bradham, Marcell Dareus, Aaron Schobel, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley,

Aaron Williams, Mario Williams, KyleWilliams & Paul Posluszny

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-B-BRUCE-SMITH-kiko-alonso-DAREUS-talley-MARIO-/111085386013?pt=US_Football&hash=item19dd34791d#ht_649wt_1170

C- Don Beebe, Nigel Bradham, Joe Cribbs, Marcell Dareus, MarquiseGoodwin, Jim Kelly,

JamesLofton, Andre Reed, Chris White

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-C-JIM-KELLY-andre-reed-MARQUISE-GOODWIN-beebe-/111085395128?pt=US_Football&hash=item19dd349cb8#ht_649wt_1170

D- Marcell Dareus, TJ Graham, Stevie Johnson, Marv Levy,JP Losman, Reggie McKenzie,

Antowain Smith, Thurman Thomas, Eric Wood

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-D-MARV-LEVY-thurman-thomas-STEVE-JOHNSON-D-/181149914327?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d6054d7#ht_649wt_1170

E- CorneliusBennett, Marcell Dareus, Marcus Easley, Lee Evans, Stephon Gilmore,

TJ Graham, EJ Manuel, Andre Reed,Jay Riemersma

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-E-bennett-EJ-MANUEL-a-reed-DAREUS-evans-2013-/181149920050?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d606b32#ht_649wt_1170

F- JairusByrd, Marcell Dareus, Marcus Easley, Stephon Gilmore, TJ Graham,

StevieJohnson, Eric Moulds, CJ Spiller, Duke Williams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-E-bennett-EJ-MANUEL-a-reed-DAREUS-evans-2013-/181149920050?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d606b32#ht_649wt_1170

G- CorneliusBennett, Marcell Dareus, Stephon Gilmore, TJ Graham, Fred Jackson,

EJManuel, Eric Moulds, NaamanRoosevelt, CJ Spiller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-G-spiller-EJ-MANUEL-fred-jackson-MOULDS-2013-/111085427415?pt=US_Football&hash=item19dd351ad7#ht_649wt_1170

H- Marcell Dareus, Marcus Easley, Joe Ferguson, Doug Flutie, TJ Graham, KevinKolb,

JamesLofton, Eric Moulds, CJ Spiller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-H-SPILLER-flutie-FERGUSON-lofton-KOLB-moulds-/181150165604?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d642a64#ht_649wt_1170

I- Marcell Dareus, Lee Evans, Stephon Gilmore, Fred Jackson, Daryle Lamonica,

Ron McDole, EJ Manuel, Eric Moulds,Aaron Williams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-I-EJ-MANUEL-lamonica-FRED-JACKSON-gilmore-/181150174063?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d644b6f#ht_649wt_1170

J- DrewBledsoe, Marcell Dareus, FredJackson, David Nelson, Roscoe Parrish,

Leodis McKelvin, Paul Posluszny, CJ Spiller, Robert Woods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-J-ROBERT-WOODS-fred-jackson-SPILLER-bledsoe-/181150185453?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d6477ed#ht_649wt_1170

K- Nigel Bradham, Marcell Dareus, Lee Evans,Tarvaris Jackson, Eric Moulds,

Paul Posluszny, CJ Spiller, Thurman Thomas,Robert Woods

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-J-ROBERT-WOODS-fred-jackson-SPILLER-bledsoe-/181150185453?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d6477ed#ht_649wt_1170

L- Marcell Dareus, Lee Evans, Stevie Johnson, Chris Kelsay, EJManuel,

HavenMoses, Eric Moulds, CJ Spiller, Aaron Williams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-L-EJ-MANUEL-steve-johnson-SPILLER-moulds-/181150287325?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d6605dd#ht_649wt_1170

M- Marlin Briscoe, Marcell Dareus, Lee Evans, TJGraham, Jack Kemp, Eric Moulds,

CJSpiller, Thurman Thomas, AaronWilliams

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-9-auto-AUTOGRAPH-lot-M-JACK-KEMP-thurman-thomas-SPILLER-moulds-/181150299232?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d663460#ht_649wt_1170

N- Electric Company autograph set: JoeDeLamiellerue, Dave Foley, Donnie Green

Mike Montler, Reggie McKenzie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFALO-BILLS-5-auto-LOT-Fan-Favorites-ELECTRIC-COMPANY-mckenzie-DELAMIELLEURE-/181150314739?pt=US_Football&hash=item2a2d6670f3#ht_711wt_1170

Yeah I have 3 full sets each of the 1990, 1991, 1992 Pro Set. Then Full Sets of 1991 -1994 Upper Deck. I don't think I could sell them for enough to fund my Starbucks card for a month.

I also have Have Thurman and Andre's Tops. Rookie cards in Screw tight card holders.

I'm just going to keep them stored.

The problem with collecting cards is that everyone knows to keep them safe. So the supply is super high.

The reason the cards from pre 1950 are worth so much is because everyone tossed them out and the supply was so low.

The cards will never have value like that.

About 4 years ago a bought afew boxes for/ with my nephew. The commons were so common we had about 2.5 full sets in no time. Then a few "jersey" cards.

Its fun for fun's sake. You can teach lessons of keeping things organized and caring for their stuff as well. You can pretebd they'll be worth something with the kids but in reality they will likely never have real value.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Buftex, love the dedication man. Where are you getting this stuff?!

As I said, I have been collecting for pretty much my whole life. A good frined of mine, here in Austin, used to run a card shop. For about 6 or 7 years, maybe one or two evenings a week, I used to go there to help him out, collating cards, hanging out, drinking beers, watching ball games... he wold just pay me in cards... I met a lot of other serious collectors...it just sort of snow balled from there...now I have people who I mostly trade with...we don't worry so much about value, as much as getting what we want...a guy in Seatlle sends me all his Bills stuff, I send him all my Seahawks stuff..also similar situations with a Ravens fan and a Redskins fan. If I go to a weekend card show, I am always on the lookout for Bills stuff, but I will also snag good value Ravens and Redskins stuff to send my trade partners...it is amazing, after years of this, how much stuff, some of it really nice, that you can accumulate. And, of course, with an eye toward selling some of this stuff at some point, I will pick up, what I cosider, good values of other teams, for possible future trades or sales. It is kind of fun...