Brian Urlacher annouces his retirement from the NFL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

Pretty dishonest move by the Bears, knowing he would never take the offer. Then they took two linebackers in the draft so clearly they were moving on.

As Urlacher said, "I just wish they would have said, 'We don't want you back.' I think this whole thing is just about them saving face and trying to say that they made a run at me."

Did he ever get a better offer away? If not the bears offer was a good one.(could be wrong but I don't think he ever get a real offer away of any kind. )

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Dear Brian Urlacher ,

Thank you for retiring today because we had absolutely nothing to talk about until you did .

Sincerely ,

The NFL Network

Exactly...

And I'm not trying to take anything away from Urlacher who was obviously an excellent NFL LB...But I can't for the life of me understand how the hype machine immediately starts talking about 1st Ballot HOF concerning Urlacher, yet Cornelius Bennett never even gets mentioned for the HOF...They were different players no question...But I'll take Biscuit, especially in his prime, any day over Urlacher...And admittedly that may be just me... B-)

Some times an athlete does not want to face the fact that his body can not take the punishment anymore. When no team wanted to sign him, Urlacher came face to face with his body breaking down and missing significant time the past 3 seasons. His play last season was average. I wish him well. He was a good guy and a very good football player.

Edited by Nitro

Now that he has mostly accepted (I think he will sniff around teams late in season if some playoff-bound team loses a critical LB) that he is no longer going to play in NFL anymore the key thing he needs to do is to figure out what he is going to do for rest of his life and not go into one of those ex-athlete spirals.

Dear Brian Urlacher ,

Thank you for retiring today because we had absolutely nothing to talk about until you did .

Sincerely ,

The NFL Network

Well, there is always the amazing QB debate of the 6-10 Jets to fall back on!!!

Urlacher was a beast and still can play. Honestly, the league doesn't value vets at all. The fact that Charles Woodson has to wait for a job is a joke. Every player should hold out and get every penny they can get.

NFL network seems to be focused entirely on the NY Jets and the Dallas Cowboys. You hardly hear about a majority of the teams. Maybe they will hire Urlacher. Lord knows they need another ex-NFL player to opine on the events and news of the NFL.

NFL network seems to be focused entirely on the NY Jets and the Dallas Cowboys. You hardly hear about a majority of the teams. Maybe they will hire Urlacher. Lord knows they need another ex-NFL player to opine on the events and news of the NFL.

Funny you should mention them since Urlacher wanted to play for them:

@NFL_ATL

Urlacher would have played for @dallascowboys http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205883/article/brian-urlacher-would-have-played-for-dallas-cowboys?campaign=Twitter_atl …

Poor choice of words.

Actually, what was funny was the female flight attendant ended up hitting on Urlacher. She gave him her number, and he was very polite about it, though clearly had no interest.

That is funny.

I wonder how often some of these guys get hit on.

Very few linebackers had the ability to play both the run and the pass so effectively.

Derrick Brooks….

Lance Briggs is also a great linebacker in that same sense.

It is a strange coincidence that two of the games greatest MLB retired in the same season. It is going to be a tough vote to Canton 5 years from now...Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher?

Well, there is always the amazing QB debate of the 6-10 Jets to fall back on!!!

Urlacher was a beast and still can play. Honestly, the league doesn't value vets at all. The fact that Charles Woodson has to wait for a job is a joke. Every player should hold out and get every penny they can get.

May be honestly these guys have lost a step. Remember, this game is all about speed. The day you lose your speed or ability to counter speed, you are done.

Dear Brian Urlacher ,

Sincerely ,

The NFL Network

What...I thought this board was of the opinion that the Bills Rookie class will be in the running for both OROY and DROY....and that is not discussion material!!

Exactly...

And I'm not trying to take anything away from Urlacher who was obviously an excellent NFL LB...But I can't for the life of me understand how the hype machine immediately starts talking about 1st Ballot HOF concerning Urlacher, yet Cornelius Bennett never even gets mentioned for the HOF...They were different players no question...But I'll take Biscuit, especially in his prime, any day over Urlacher...And admittedly that may be just me... B-)

No way.

Urlacher was a far greater LB then Bennett ever was. Urlacher vs Bennett in each of their primes is not really that close.

Urlacher could cover, stuff the run, and rush the passer all from MLB. To me Urlacher is a notch below Ray Lewis who i consider the greatest LB of all time...granted my opinion matters about as much as nothing!

One tid bit i will throw in is if Urlacher had been on the Bills D back when Bennet was... the Bills win the second SB against Dallas...