Monos & Fisher - Whaley's First Changes

From Mark Gaughan...

Whaley wasted no time putting his own stamp on the organization.

The Bills announced the hiring of Jim Monos as director of player personnel and Kelvin Fisher as director of college scouting.

Monos spent the past eight years serving a key role as Southeast college scout for the New Orleans Saints. He becomes Whaley’s right-hand man, overseeing pro and college scouting.

Fisher, who spent the past 13 years as a college scout with the Steelers, becomes the Bills’ new director of college scouting. Chuck Cook, who held that title with the Bills the past two years, gets demoted to the role of national college scout.

Whaley was quick to make some changes to the scouting hierarchy. Anybody know anything about these guys beyond the above?

EDIT: I just found a good article from Jay Skurski answering my question. Here are a couple excerpts...

Monos steps into the role that Whaley previously held, overseeing both the pro personnel and college scouting departments. “I’ve known him for a while. He’s an incredible talent evaluator and he will be important for us on the road, seeing the top talent,” Whaley said of Monos, who comes to the Bills after spending the past eight seasons as a scout with the New Orleans Saints....

Fisher has spent the last 13 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a college scout. Fisher started with the Steelers in 2000, a year after Whaley. “I’ve been with him for a long time so he knows the process that I’m going to implement,” Whaley said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130517/SPORTS/130519255

Edited by hondo in seattle

Monos had a hand in the Saints drafting Jahri Evans in the 4th round of the 2006 NFL Draft. I read an article that Monos "urged" the Saints to take Evans. Score one in the win column for that pick.

Monos had a hand in the Saints drafting Jahri Evans in the 4th round of the 2006 NFL Draft. I read an article that Monos "urged" the Saints to take Evans. Score one in the win column for that pick.

Additionally, the Bills promoted C.J. Leak from BLESTO scout, a job he’s held the past two years, to a college area scout. Pete Harris, who worked as a scouting assistant the past two seasons, was promoted to BLESTO scout.

http://www.buffalone.../130519255/1003

The Bills added C.J. Leak as a team-exclusive scout. Some of you may remember C.J. and his brother, Chris, who was once a national-championship winning QB at Florida.

Edited by ny33

Saints have been great in late rounds, mediocre at the top.... So.... There's that, whatever it means.

I think the changes show Nix wasn't just a figurehead as some had speculated.

I thought Whaley's comment about Fisher was interesting, "...he knows the process that I'm going to implement." It sounds like Whaley's going to make the Bills scouting department run like the Steeler's scouting department.

I like that Whatley made these changes day 1, he knows what he wants to do, and he went and got the guys it takes to run it. Also, despite the non political correctness of getting folks you used to work with, it immediately puts the lines of communication in place with understanding at both ends. And, to be a great GM, Whately doesn't need to know it all, he just has to have people who do, and use them well. Good start!

I think the changes show Nix wasn't just a figurehead as some had speculated.

I thought Whaley's comment about Fisher was interesting, "...he knows the process that I'm going to implement." It sounds like Whaley's going to make the Bills scouting department run like the Steeler's scouting department.

No need to reinvent a process if you can copy one that works well. Good for him, a good idea whereever it comes from!

I like these changes. If you like at the consistently good franchises around the league you draft well and then keep your guys.

I point to the Giants and Steelers as being the two who have been relevant through out the past 25+ years. It is about a sytem, the system is passed down . Steelers been doing it since the 70's. Good for Whaley he is a very young guy, if succesful he should be able to make the Bills a winning franchise for years!

Saints have been great in late rounds, mediocre at the top.... So.... There's that, whatever it means.

They have taken a defensive player as their first pick in now 6 straight drafts. How's their defense?

I like that Whatley made these changes day 1, he knows what he wants to do, and he went and got the guys it takes to run it. Also, despite the non political correctness of getting folks you used to work with, it immediately puts the lines of communication in place with understanding at both ends. And, to be a great GM, Whately doesn't need to know it all, he just has to have people who do, and use them well. Good start!

No need to reinvent a process if you can copy one that works well. Good for him, a good idea whereever it comes from!

Agreed. Love the changes. Feels like a breath of Fresh air at OBD for once!

Exactly....

Cam Jordan looks good. Sed Ellis was junk, the corners have been meh, Jenkins would be good if he'd hold on when he got his hands on the ball.... When we got shepherd they took Tez at LB who has been even more underwhelming. Roman Harper is good in the box but an awful safety when asked to make plays that aren't in the offensive backfield.

We will see. Spags is also a 43 pressure with your front 4 kind of coach.... So we saw how that works when the line underachieves. Lots of parallels with the units last year.

From Mark Gaughan...

Whaley wasted no time putting his own stamp on the organization.

The Bills announced the hiring of Jim Monos as director of player personnel and Kelvin Fisher as director of college scouting.

Monos spent the past eight years serving a key role as Southeast college scout for the New Orleans Saints. He becomes Whaley’s right-hand man, overseeing pro and college scouting.

Fisher, who spent the past 13 years as a college scout with the Steelers, becomes the Bills’ new director of college scouting. Chuck Cook, who held that title with the Bills the past two years, gets demoted to the role of national college scout.

Whaley was quick to make some changes to the scouting hierarchy. Anybody know anything about these guys beyond the above?

EDIT: I just found a good article from Jay Skurski answering my question. Here are a couple excerpts...

Monos steps into the role that Whaley previously held, overseeing both the pro personnel and college scouting departments. “I’ve known him for a while. He’s an incredible talent evaluator and he will be important for us on the road, seeing the top talent,” Whaley said of Monos, who comes to the Bills after spending the past eight seasons as a scout with the New Orleans Saints....

Fisher has spent the last 13 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a college scout. Fisher started with the Steelers in 2000, a year after Whaley. “I’ve been with him for a long time so he knows the process that I’m going to implement,” Whaley said.

http://www.buffalone...PORTS/130519255

Hondo, thanks for posting.