Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

I was very critical of Marv and Co. when he was here, and rightly so, however how is Buddy in any way light years ahead of Marv?

Nix blew it on coaching hires, blew it on QB for three years, and has maybe less talent on the roster than he took over, after 3 years and 4 drafts.

Not looking for a lengthy response, just asking. Thx.

To name a handful,

1. Jauron hiring. Marv got the man he wanted, where Buddy was stuck with Chan since no one wanted the job.

2.Trading high draft picks to move up for trash (McCargo) & a mediocrity (Pos)

3. Lil Donte. Maybin was more ridiculous by far, but I can't put that one on Buddy.

4. Nate Clements fiasco - should've gotten at least a draft pick for him. You may argue that Levitre is Buddy's Nate, but he didn't publicly botch the situation like Marv did.

5. Jason Peters fiasco - should've taken care of him before Dockery & Walker

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh crap.... Whose AARP discount will they use at Hertz on road trips now that Ralph, Chan and now Buddy are out of the inner circle.

Suddenly a very young core at OBD

Your jokes' card, Older than all of them together.

Credibility?

Do you question a person's credibility when they've bluffed you out of a pot during a poker game?

Do you question Bill Belichick's credibility?

Do you understand that the NFL is a high-stakes competition played out every day?

What exactly are you whining about?

Even if we win a Super Bowl it will be forever clouded by Russ Brandon's fib about Nix. :(

PTR

You must be related to Buddy, as there is no other explanation for your constant defense of his abysmal tenure as bills gm

You must be a closet Pats* fan as there is no other explanation for your constant attack of anyone who thinks he has done a decent job.

Come out of the closet!

It was in the cards as soon as some of the reins were taken from Ralph. Latest draft was totally out of character -- taking QB high, trading around, etc. He came across sounding incompetent on the recorded call w/ Tampa GM. he liked to toot his own horn and act like some wheeler dealer, but there wasnt substance behind it. Bills did him a favor by letting him go out without saying he was fired

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I'm really going to miss Nix. I thought that he was very open and honest with his thought process and opinions about the decisions he made. It was really enjoyable to hear his interviews and you could clearly see his philosophy. His legacy will squarely depend on Manuel but in general I think he's done a pretty good job. I hope he enjoys his retirement and I hope that Whaley will be as open to the media and the fans.

Actually the reason not to trust him is because he's a tool

He's no tool. But he he is a marketing man first and foremost. He is not a football mind. The team is a direct reflection of that.

Playing only seven home games in a league where every little bit helps is just a single example of Russ Brandon. The buck has always taken precedence over winning championships (obviously dating back pre Brandon) for the Bills, and will continue until new ownership.

Also, a big shout out to Overdorf and Litman here too. The road is littered with good ex-Bills because of them.

Brandon is Ralph's perfect replacement. Unfortunately, Buddy was/is just a pawn, and lucked into a GM gig at 70 because no experienced GM remotely competent will work for the organization. Keeping him past today is very hard to justify, but it's Ralph's money...... Really what did Buddy build other than 2013 hope?

Good luck Buddy! You're a football man through and through and did your best. But being a GM in the NFL was just over your head. Thanks for the effort! Here's to hoping 2013 and beyond will finally produce W's in the regular season.Once again it appears the bills are the pre-2013 season paper champs yet again.

To name a handful,

1. Jauron hiring. Marv got the man he wanted, where Buddy was stuck with Chan since no one wanted the job.

3. Lil Donte. Maybin was more ridiculous by far, but I can't put that one on Buddy.

4. Nate Clements fiasco - should've gotten at least a draft pick for him. You may argue that Levitre is Buddy's Nate, but he didn't publicly botch the situation like Marv did.

Rico: I thought you were all about "just win, don't spin" (i.e., scoreboard). The Jauron years: 27-37 (I'm including Fewell here too). Gailey/Nik: 16-32. And it wasn't like Jauron took over a good team -- they were terrible in Mularkey's last season.

To name a handful,

Pt 1 is absolutely ridiculous. Jauron was a bum without a job that nobody wanted. As for Chan, bud man said several high profile names reached out to him about the opening. He CHOSE Chan

This isn't Texas hold 'em. I get that subterfuge is a part of the game, but Brandon continues to say things which are hardly believable. Like Nix putting a better team on the field (record says otherwise) or Nix would be GM for a long time (16 days to be exact) and that an analytics department would be started (it hasn't been). This is a man who convinces people via a marketing department that things have changed when the front office isn't much different today than when Dick Jauron was fired.

We can quibble about truth, but it's clear Brandon is showing that he's put on his big boy pants. But in the process, he has no results to have established any credibility with, thus people are dubious and playing a wait and see game. I for one can't stand Belichick, but he's got results to back himself up with while Brandon has nothing but the Toronto series, 2 years as GM where the franchise was lost in the desert, and a shiny new title he's got from sidling up to RW for years.

Well, the front office is the same, if you conveniently ignore that we have new hires at GM, Director of College Scouting, Director of Pro Personnel, and a revamped scouting department.

But other than all of those differences and changes, then yes, the front office is basically the same.

You really will gripe and complain about everything. You got what you wanted with Buddy gone, and yet you still continue to complain.

Rico: I thought you were all about "just win, don't spin" (i.e., scoreboard). The Jauron years: 27-37 (I'm including Fewell here too). Gailey/Nik: 16-32. And it wasn't like Jauron took over a good team -- they were terrible in Mularkey's last season.

True, but my point was more about Marv hiring the guy he wanted... one of his Chicago 'buddies' who shared many of the same coaching traits and philosophies that he did. We can thank Marchibroda for the K-Gun, that was a polar opposite to Marv's conservative approach (though much to his credit, he agreed to fully adopt it). OTOH, regardless of what Buddy told the media, he was stuck with Chan after many other 'candidates' just said no.

Both DJ & Chan sucked, record-wise DJ less so, but I hold Marv more responsible than Buddy for the coach he hired

And it's "Don't spin, just win". :D

Well, the front office is the same, if you conveniently ignore that we have new hires at GM, Director of College Scouting, Director of Pro Personnel, and a revamped scouting department.

But other than all of those differences and changes, then yes, the front office is basically the same.

You really will gripe and complain about everything. You got what you wanted with Buddy gone, and yet you still continue to complain.

You'd think the Bills had won a third of their games these past 3 seasons. Rampant complaining for no reason, right?

Who is the GM, Whaley? Someone who's been around for these 3 years of great success. Have we established he's a solution already? As for Nix, he hired his own college scouting and pro personnel director, the former of which came aboard after Modrak got to play in two drafts and received a vote of confidence from the owner.

Nix may not be responsible for the 10 playoff less seasons before he became GM. But he didn't end them and if he himself couldn't change that, what evidence is there people he picked will either? Meanwhile, it's guys like Brandon and Overdorf who remain with influence over the football side of the house. Some things never change.

True, but my point was more about Marv hiring the guy he wanted... one of his Chicago 'buddies' who shared many of the same coaching traits and philosophies that he did. We can thank Marchibroda for the K-Gun, that was a polar opposite to Marv's conservative approach (though much to his credit, he agreed to fully adopt it). OTOH, regardless of what Buddy told the media, he was stuck with Chan after many other 'candidates' just said no.

Both DJ & Chan sucked, record-wise DJ less so, but I hold Marv more responsible than Buddy for the coach he hired

And it's "Don't spin, just win". :D

Bud/man had a much broader universe of candidates to draw from because Ralph had made it clear he would open up the wallet this time. He CHOSE chan.