Anyone else afraid of EJ's running style?

Watching tape, he's not afraid to tuck it in and run even though he states he's a passer first. My first notion when he was drafted is that we have a duel threat guy. Thinking about it now, we have a college coach and a college OC, I hope that we don't pull a RG3 with him and expect him to run to make his plays. Running should be a last resort IMO, Rolling out is a different story, i hope we see a pocket first, roll out second, run last approach. If he has to run make it on short situations when we have to gain 1-3 yards. The linebackers and DB's are too quick to close in the NFL and i hope Marrone can keep Hackett informed on that to not expose EJ to injury. He is a great runner don't get me wrong but his tall frame leaves a lot exposed mid section down.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with any scrambling QB there comes risks. Hopefully our coaching staff gets EJ to pick his spots well, as to not get an unnecessary injury. I'm more worried about the way he holds the ball when scrambling. Many of the highlights have him holding it out in his hand, instead of tucking it and protecting it. NFL players are always looking to cause a fumble, so hopefully coaches can drill that into him as well. Either way, it's exciting to have someone who might be an even better scrambler than Fitz (I thought he did a decent job, himself).

Edited by Dorkington

No, i am much more worried about his ball security though. He needs to just get out of bounds and be aware in the pocket of the blind side. John Gruden ripped him a new one about his ball security in their little pre-draft QB camp thing on ESPN.

I'd like to point out that I think his approach is to pass first and run when things break down. However, I don't feel that there is too much running for Manuel. There is almost zero possibility that we run into an RG3 situation. RG3 is a skinny beanpole compared to EJ. Manuel is as big as Rothlisberger but with Newton wheels. Like a Daunte Culpepper really. It would take one hell of a LB to really hurt him I think. And I think safeties and corners just bounce off him like he's a power running back. At 6'5" and 237 (and probably gonna bulk up a bit more muscle) I don't think we should be worried.

Edited by mrags

Watching tape, he's not afraid to tuck it in and run even though he states he's a passer first. My first notion when he was drafted is that we have a duel threat guy. Thinking about it now, we have a college coach and a college OC, I hope that we don't pull a RG3 with him and expect him to run to make his plays. Running should be a last resort IMO, Rolling out is a different story, i hope we see a pocket first, roll out second, run last approach. If he has to run make it on short situations when we have to gain 1-3 yards. The linebackers and DB's are too quick to close in the NFL and i hope Marrone can keep Hackett informed on that to not expose EJ to injury. He is a great runner don't get me wrong but his tall frame leaves a lot exposed mid section down.

Where did you get tape on Manuel? I'd like to see it...all I've found are highlights on Youtube and a few broadcast replays.

Game tape would be nice to see...

So the OP is concerned about two things.

1) EJ running too much.

2) The way he actually runs the ball.

Obviously everyone knows that you can't have sustained long, term success as an NFL QB unless you can pass the ball effectively. There's a balance out there where running is effective but not over-relied upon.

Kapernick and Russell Wilson both averaged about 6 carries per 60 minutes.

RGIII averaged over 8 carries per 60 minutes.

You are thinking too much. Put the kid out there and see what he can do. We're 4-12 this year anyway. If he gets blasted so what? Not much invested withe rookie salary cap. With Bridgewater and a half a dozen better QB prospects coming out next year, lets see what EJ has now so we know what to do with what should be the "great QB class of 2014". You people who see EJ as the one and only answer at QB are in dreamland.

he doesn't take any big risks. for such a big guy he seems to go down pretty easily. he doesn't run hard and lower his shoulder like Cam so he doesn't take the big hits. i think he will be fine. they will make sure he slides and runs out of bounds

To Bandit : I've got a buddy here in FL that Recorded the FSU games (he's a FSU Fanatic) and I asked him If I could watch the Florida game specifically as well as the other SEC games from last year. I figured watching him in a game that he played sub par in was the best way to see the areas he needs work with. It's funny with all the TIVO type recording , I have no idea how to get that burned to a dvd (he doesn't have a burner) or an old school VCR. We've made it harder to get hard copies of things over the last decade since everything has gone digital. TO SJbillsfan: Exactly right, more of the second than the first. Ball security is one thing but sliding and protecting his body from hits is where I have most concern. He can run to get the first but he should put ego/hero mentality aside unless it's wide open.

To Bandit : I've got a buddy here in FL that Recorded the FSU games (he's a FSU Fanatic) and I asked him If I could watch the Florida game specifically as well as the other SEC games from last year. I figured watching him in a game that he played sub par in was the best way to see the areas he needs work with. It's funny with all the TIVO type recording , I have no idea how to get that burned to a dvd (he doesn't have a burner) or an old school VCR. We've made it harder to get hard copies of things over the last decade since everything has gone digital. TO SJbillsfan: Exactly right, more of the second than the first. Ball security is one thing but sliding and protecting his body from hits is where I have most concern. He can run to get the first but he should put ego/hero mentality aside unless it's wide open.

Okay, so you're watching game broadcasts...gotcha. When you said "tape", I took that to mean coaches' tape (i.e. All-22)...I haven't found any on EJ yet, and I'd like to do so if I can.

Where did you get tape on Manuel? I'd like to see it...all I've found are highlights on Youtube and a few broadcast replays.

Game tape would be nice to see...

YouTube highlights = coaches film

Please get with the times.

YouTube highlights = coaches film

Please get with the times.

I do agree that far too many folks toss around the lingo of "film" and "tape" when they really mean YouTube highlights or TV broadcasts. What makes me ask is not necessarily a desire to see the terms applied properly (although it would be nice if folks understood the difference), but rather to discern how they came about the actual All-22 footage. With the advent of programs like NFLN's Game Rewind & Game Pass products, which make actual coaches' film available to the general public, it's quite possible that certain posters have access to such footage.

Although, as you point out, most of the time, what they really mean is YouTube highlights.

Not afraid of his running style at all. He's a big guy like Kaepernick, who's also 6'5" and just a little lighter. As long as he can learn to tuck the ball in lieu of trying to run like Vick, he'll be fine.

Not afraid of his running style at all. He's a big guy like Kaepernick, who's also 6'5" and just a little lighter. As long as he can learn to tuck the ball in lieu of trying to run like Vick, he'll be fine.

Also, Vick is much, much smaller. I'd worry if he was immobile and couldn't escape the pocket too. It's football and there are a ton of injuries. Yes, he needs to be smart but he also needs to be a player that makes plays too. One of the major things that disappointed me about Losman and Fitz was they were mobile, but didn't use it enough. Hopefully Manuel can progress in the rodgers' vein.