EJ's throwing motion is amazing

Watching his highlights (for about the 4th time), you do see that his footwork is screwed up on certain throws, which has been an emphasis in this rookie camp. What I also see and felt since the first time I saw this package is that we took the best athlete in the draft.

Whether that translates to success is up to him, Marrone and Hackett.

But if Bayless and Stephan A. had watched him, they might not have had that stupid-ass conversation. Tons of potential to be a good one.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Kelly have a slow release? (I never noticed or heard that before, or forgot in the intervening years.)

kj

Not really, he just played against Marino a lot.

Fitz has one of the longest windups of any QB I've seen. We shouldn't confuse getting the ball out quick because of play design vs. having a fast release. Fitz just doesn't have a fast release. When I think of quick release, I think of Marino, one of the fastest ever. Very little windup in his motion whereas it looks like Fitz starts everything from his hip, especially on long balls.

GO BILLS!!!

See, I figured somebody would bring up Marino, after seeing Manuel this weekend, and sure enough K9 was on it. Absolutely right about Fitz. Fitz is like a pitcher who can't throw from the stretch. His windup motion is why he got hit after the throw so often.

And, Marino's release is why, given the old rules on defense, he made the HOF, and not the IR list.(It also helped that Don Shula sat on the officiating committee for years, such that if anybody dared touch him on anything that was close, out came the flags) Marino could also move around in the pocket very well. (Bledsoe's sin was that he couldn't)

I can't believe I'm doing this, but, it's instructive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm3ErTOp0JQ

and some wonder why the fans who can remember still hate the Dolphins more than the Patriots. :lol:

You watch that whole video, and remember this happened before the rule changes, and you think: "Marino makes Brady look like a 3rd stringer." Marino, and nobody else, not the defense, not the kicker, would light the Bills up, and there was nothing we could do about it. Not until Bruce Smith came along, and Duper/Clayton slowed down a bit, did we start to have a chance against them.

That's why EJM makes me nuts, his release reminds me of something I haven't seen in a long time: Marino's. It scares the crap out of me, that he might actually have a chance to be that good. And then I think: "somebody is gonna yell at me for not being a realist". :lol: It's like I only want to whisper it to myself :bag:

See, I figured somebody would bring up Marino, after seeing Manuel this weekend, and sure enough K9 was on it. Absolutely right about Fitz. Fitz is like a pitcher who can't throw from the stretch. His windup motion is why he got hit after the throw so often.

And, Marino's release is why, given the old rules on defense, he made the HOF, and not the IR list.(It also helped that Don Shula sat on the officiating committee for years, such that if anybody dared touch him on anything that was close, out came the flags) Marino could also move around in the pocket very well. (Bledsoe's sin was that he couldn't)

and some wonder why the fans who can remember still hate the Dolphins more than the Patriots. :lol:

You watch that whole video, and remember this happened before the rule changes, and you think: "Marino makes Brady look like a 3rd stringer." Marino, and nobody else, not the defense, not the kicker, would light the Bills up, and there was nothing we could do about it. Not until Bruce Smith came along, and Duper/Clayton slowed down a bit, did we start to have a chance against them.

That's why EJM makes me nuts, his release reminds me of something I haven't seen in a long time: Marino's. It scares the crap out of me, that he might actually have a chance to be that good. And then I think: "somebody is gonna yell at me for not being a realist". :lol: It's like I only want to whisper it to myself :bag:

I love the enthusiasm! Boy - he does have a nice throwing motion, a really tight spiral. He's going to make some plays, that's for sure - and these WR's look pretty promising, too! Woods looks faster than I thought, Kaufmann is making plays, and Goodwin is as fast as advertised. Those three have drawn the most attention so far, I'd say.

I hope what we have in EJ Manuel is the amazing athletic gifts and arm strength of Vince Young with the amazing brain of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That combination would be a HOF quarterback.

thanks for this. I Didnt watch all of it because its getting late but man, the play that starts at 2:41ish is absolutely unreal.

And yes, the releases do seem similar. Lighting fast.

The passes I saw today on BB.com confirm he has a nice release. The Ball comes out his hand high and quick. The Bills with Manual and Kolb have improved the QB position .

Training Camp is going to the most interesting in years. Battles at QB, WR, LG, LB, SS.

But the most important one is at QB. If this is gonna be Manuel's Team he gonna have to put a stamp on it early. And often.

According to coach Marronne, there is battle for starting position at every Position, not just the ones you have listed above.

thanks for this. I Didnt watch all of it because its getting late but man, the play that starts at 2:41ish is absolutely unreal.

And yes, the releases do seem similar. Lighting fast.

It feels unclean. Unholy. To watch a "highlight" reel of Marino. Its just wrong. I cant do it.

Maybe you have to be under 30 to be able to watch it. I cant stomach it.

I personally liked the fact that he repeatedly slid, avoiding contact, even at the goal line at the end of a long run. Unselfish and smart.

I'm with you on this. Also the way he used his blockers on scrambles. Kid does seem to have a real feel/vision for the game

It feels unclean. Unholy. To watch a "highlight" reel of Marino. Its just wrong. I cant do it.

Maybe you have to be under 30 to be able to watch it. I cant stomach it.

except I'm not under 30. I just accepted a long time ago that Dan Marino is probably the best QB to ever play the game. Well, until Payton. Edited by mrags

But if Bayless and Stephan A. had watched him, they might not have had that stupid-ass conversation. Tons of potential to be a good one.

You're giving these clueless f**knuts waaaay too much credit. They would simply have had a different stupid-ass conversation.

3 pages in and no "Manuel Release" jokes?

:thumbdown:

I like "Manuel is Automatic."

Fitz has one of the longest windups of any QB I've seen. We shouldn't confuse getting the ball out quick because of play design vs. having a fast release. Fitz just doesn't have a fast release. When I think of quick release, I think of Marino, one of the fastest ever. Very little windup in his motion whereas it looks like Fitz starts everything from his hip, especially on long balls.

GO BILLS!!!

Kurt Warner as well...his release was so quick and compact.

except I'm not under 30. I just accepted a long time ago that Dan Marino is probably the best QB to ever play the game. Well, until Payton.

Marino was an exceptional pure passer, maybe the best passer to play the game. He was not the best QB ever, IMO. There's a lot that goes into being a QB besides passing, and Marino had some deficiencies.

He was outstanding, and deserves to be in the HOF, but not in the same class as Montana, Unitas, Manning, & Brady (the 4 best ever IMO).

Seeing EJ Manuel in a live game, and not knowing he was going to be a Buffalo Bill at the time, I just remembered his ability to buy time, and that he was fearless.

One thing that stands out when looking at him as a pro player is his throwing motion is lightning fast. Compared to a guy like Jim Kelly or Fitz its night and day.

EJ just kinda flicks the ball from his ear and it's gone. He seems like a guy that would be very tough to strip the ball from because he's got huge paws and when he pulls the trigger his motion is so compact and quick that there isn't much of that vulnerable window where the arm is back and the ball is exposed.

I've watched his highlights before but never noticed until now. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYRCkpnnlIs

so did Vince Young, and Jeff George, and Brian Brohm. Doesn't mean crap. Show me 60 minutes for 16 games in a regular season and I will believe.

Jimbo's release was faster than normal but not in the league of Marino or Elway. It was still plenty quick enough.

Kelly's greatest asset as a passer was his incredible touch and accuracy in every and all conditions. I'm not sure what the exact number is but if you said that an NFL QB has to be able to make 15 different types of throws, Kelly could throw all 15 perfectly. Both Marino and Elway, while awesome passers tended to throw a bit of a flat trajectory ball sometimes.

Jimbo's passes always had the perfect trajectory for the play.

Also Jimbo threw the most beautiful deep balls of any QB I can recall.

The other thing that Jimbo had, which you can't quantify, is his leadership ability. Love what comes out of EJ's mouth. We have a QB that speaks well, acts well, and leads. That is the best thing about EJ vs all the QBs this year. Thank goodness we didn't get Geno Smith!

OC...you mentioned the "Marks" brothers but failed to note one of the original 'jack of all trades/major pain in the azz guys'.......Jim Jensen. How many huge first down catches did that guy seem to make back in the day? I loathed him as a football player because he had no typical football skills (at least those that would be expected on that level of play) yet he carved out a nice career and was a big contributor for the Phins. The very definition of overachiever. Would have loved him on the Bills. :w00t: