Sabres announce Ron Rolston as Permanent HC

Yeah, I don't know about this. I'll repeat what others have said: not very inspiring. That said, I don't think we know enough about this guy except he is probably a Darcy yes-man who will not rock Darcy's sinking ship. Anyone else get the feeling Pegula just doesn't care any more?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolston might be a good hire. He did a decent job as the interim. But he doesn't get the fans fired up.

I don't get the angst over Pegula. He is doing what he said his style is...methodical. He is not going to fire people in a huff, despite what the fans think.

Personally I'm fine with some bandwagon jumping. I want to move my season tickets down a few rows.

And when the Sabres do make the playoffs I can laugh at all the "loyal fans" who complain they can't take their kids to Sabres games because the games are sold out, and what a slap in the face it is.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Rolston might be a good hire. He did a decent job as the interim. But he doesn't get the fans fired up.

I don't get the angst over Pegula. He is doing what he said his style is...methodical. He is not going to fire people in a huff, despite what the fans think.

Personally I'm fine with some bandwagon jumping. I want to move my season tickets down a few rows.

And when the Sabres do make the playoffs I can laugh at all the "loyal fans" who complain they can't take their kids to Sabres games because the games are sold out, and what a slap in the face it is.

PTR

I'm usually an optimist like you but just can't do it here. Really don't like this move at all even though Rolston didn't to a terrible job as interim coach. I really think the team needs a whole new outlook coming from outside the organization. I have no clue how you can keep Darcy. I am still very happy Pegula bought the team but maybe him being more like a "fan" makes it harder to clean house of the guys he interacts with on a daily basis. I hope I'm wrong but I see 2-3 more years of mediocrity before a full out blowing up.

PTR

No bandwagon jumping by me...but the decision to bring back Darcy, in my mind, is the first possible mis-step by Pegula, or at leas the first one where that I can point to and feel like Pegula should have known better. I think Pegulas methodical nature, as you described it, can be used as an explanation as to why Darcy wasn't shown the door soonter, but no longer...

Darcy is being given almost unprecedented time and opportunity in modern pro sports to clean up a mess that he played a very large in part in creating. He has been the Sabres GM for 17 years, and it will likely be 20 before any real consideration is given to replacing him...Darcy (and we as fans) really have very little to show for those efforts. I really don't have a major problem with Rolston, given the circumstances.

Edited by Buftex

The low get lower. The ownership with darcy and his brother are killing all us good fans. I don't even care anymore about the sabres. How sad have they become. Who is gonna be interested in season?

. Unimpressed with pegula and darcy vision here

Same here, IM not spending any more of my hard earned dough on this clown of an organization. Hope after hope; year after year. Sinking further down the sewer hole while Darcy the bobblehead sprews meaningless drival. Why Pegula won't sack this pretender is beyond any sense of logic. As always its about the almighty buck. Pegula knows no matter how crappy this team is, no matter how much do nothing DR further depletes the Sabres talent, he'll have 10,000 Canadians buying tickets. Pegula is a fraud, fan my butt. The Sabres are just another business investment for Pegula who has his bobblehad GM; and D. R. has his "Yes Man" head coach. Blah, Bland & Milquetoast.....Pegula, Regier and Rolstone..

What kind of waiting list for season tickets is there?

I got on the list for another pair a few years back. I was #3,000 then. I'm #1,240 now. The Sabres are going sell 500 more seats as seasons next year so I should move up a bunch.

PTR

What kind of waiting list for season tickets is there?

Better get them now... A few years back the Blackhawks were begging me to buy seasons... I said: " I'm a Sabres fans and only go to see them in Chicago... Chicago is BFLO's farm team!" Boy was I a fool for telling the Blackhawks off for their over the top telemarketing campaign! Old Man Wirtz croaked and the team started winning, now they are the hottest ticket in town... I could be selling my seasons for double the face value to Chicago bandwagon fans! Heck, check out Stub Hub and see what SRO's go for @ the UC! I could have got cheapo 300's up in the nosebleeds and made a mint! Oh well, my loss!

Anyway... What's the odds the Sabres head hunt Pat Kane in a few years and get him to BFLO when he becomes a UFA? Still the farm team? ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I agree, but was there anything "methodical" about this hiring? Did they do an exhaustive search looking for the right guy? It doesn't appear the Sabres did their due diligence in searching for Huff's replacement, but instead took the easy way out.

I'm always quick to complain about the Bills, but at least Nix took his last coaching hire seriously. I hate to say this, but perhaps Darcy needs some oversight much like Russ Brandon is doing. I'm not sure Ted Black is doing what he should be doing here.

We have the coach now, so I guess we really can label the Sabres as the NHL's farm team.

Edited by kas23

Both assistant coaches let go. Only one loser left that would DR.

Paul Hamilton said that James Patrick was very upset that he wasn't given the interim job when Lindy was fired.

It may be nothing, but I think letting Patrick and Adams go is a good thing. Special teams were more atrocious than ever this year...and they have been pretty bad for a few years...I think Rolston may have a more distinctive imprint on this team than we saw this past season. Teppo Numenen (sp?) is staying, no word yet of Corsi, the goaltender coach.

Edited by Buftex

1. Keep your GM who should have never been extended and should have been canned with the coach.

2. Announce raising of ticket prices on the same day as #1.

3. Hire the interim coach as your full time coach, despite the fact he did very little (from my point of view) to change the culture or inspire the team down the stretch. They looked just as listless as ever under him.

4. Steal underpants

5. ???

6. Win Stanley Cup

2 questions if anybody knows:

What was our record with Rolston?

What was the deal that if somehow Minny had beat the Hawks and I think gone one more round, we would have ended up with a top 5 pick?

15-11-5. Over 82 games that equates to about 92 points, which would typically get us into the playoffs as an 8th seed. So actually, the guy did a pretty good job considering the situation he was handed. I have no problem giving the guy a shot, but like most my beef is with Regier.

2 questions if anybody knows:

What was the deal that if somehow Minny had beat the Hawks and I think gone one more round, we would have ended up with a top 5 pick?

Rolston was 15-11-5 as the Sabres interim head coach.

Not sure the details of the Sabres/Wild deal, but I heard the same thing...I think (kind of guessing here) that the pick the Wild had two first round picks...the farther they went in the playoffs, with Pomminville, the higher the Sabres pick would become...the chances of the Wild beating the Blackhawks seemed pretty far-fetched to me, so I didn't give it a lot of thought.