Suicide Rates Rise Sharply in U.S.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous of parents who pay for college... I got $200 and was told, "Have fun!"

I'm guessing you were jealous of the kids who had parents who paid for their college not the parents who paid lol, I think the feeling crappy part is about not being able to fulfill a family tradition, if helping pay for your kids college is not part of the family tradition then no bad feelings, growing up in my family the tradition was 80% of the first four years college paid for, proms and high school graduation cars not paid for lol

I'm guessing you were jealous of the kids who had parents who paid for their college not the parents who paid lol, I think the feeling crappy part is about not being able to fulfill a family tradition, if helping pay for your kids college is not part of the family tradition then no bad feelings, growing up in my family the tradition was 80% of the first four years college paid for, proms and high school graduation cars not paid for lol

I actually wasn't jealous at all. I'm proud that I did it myself without help. I think it's kind of lame that parents are paying everything nowadays as the kids don't appreciate it as much as if they worked for it on their own.

ouch..Mr. Compassion over here lol

Anyway, I kind of casually consider suicide every time I remember Obama is actually in charge. Not really but it does make me grumpy.

I might just change my username, that has a ring to it...

Suicide is ugly and gutless. A gal I work with, her friend's husband shot himself in their closet last week- 3 kids under the age of 10. Everybody was contemplating what was wrong with him, if they could only have helped with his pain... what the !@#$, you don't have 3 kids then shot yourself, that's kitty and dispicable.

Suicide is ugly and gutless. A gal I work with, her friend's husband shot himself in their closet last week- 3 kids under the age of 10. Everybody was contemplating what was wrong with him, if they could only have helped with his pain... what the !@#$, you don't have 3 kids then shot yourself, that's kitty and dispicable.

Everyone is different. Who am I to say what someone should or shouldn't do with their onw life; or how they prioritize their children's emotional stability.

Besides, anyone who is in a dark enough place that they would do such a thing; their family is probably better off without them anyhow

WELL over 95% of all suicides have a mood disorder (usually depression) as an underlying cause. And by "well over," I mean I've seen a couple of studies that put it at 100%, but never one under 95%.

If someone kills themselves, they're not cowards. They're sick.

The large majority of boomers lived their lives spending well above their means, incurring staggering debt to wealth ratios. By many reports more than 80% face the reality of not having saved enough for retirement.

The the harsh realities of their liberal economic revolution is setting in; and they are left looking to their kids, who's financial futures they have all but completely thrown away, and they are commiting a new brand of American Seppuku.

This is the truth. My retard inlaws have already refinanced their mortgage 3 times, cashed out a retirement account early to pay off debt, spent a 40K inheritance to go the Ireland for a month- noe they have another 20K on a Credit Card and are considering selling land to pay it off, which will nto matter it will be back in no time. They have a 5 bedroom house for two people, 2 cars financed for 5 years, my mother-in-law hasn't worked in 8 years because she retired with her pension, and my father-in-law is 63 having an ablation so he is not going to be able to wokrk full time forever.....

The have almost nothing expect two City and Country pensions and a mortgage. They have life insurance, not LTC insurance. They may two fo stupidest people I have ever come across.

I think your right. It's a selfish act because the collateral damage is never considered. If it was a person wouldn't kill themselves. The closet guy also had a mother and father that are crushed. Possibly guilt ridden for the rest of their lives wondering if was partially their fault and they didn't help. People obviously get in a real bad place but they have to consider people around them that love them. They should run, not walk to a professional that can help.

WELL over 95% of all suicides have a mood disorder (usually depression) as an underlying cause. And by "well over," I mean I've seen a couple of studies that put it at 100%, but never one under 95%.

I think they are more selfish than cowardly. Edited by Dante

I think they are more selfish than cowardly.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated on TBD, but it can be said again:

They're sick.

I don't understand schizophrenia at all either. Whenever I meet a schizo I just want to yell in their demented faces "Think about it, crazy. You're not 9 people!" For some reason it just doesn't seem to register. Probably due to the mental illness.

As Tom and Levi have already stated, suicide is also largely an illness. So of course you don't get suicide, you're not suicidal. Rational arguments as to the pros and cons of suicide have no bearing as its not a logical act. Human beings are programmed not to hurt themselves.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated on TBD, but it can be said again:

They're sick.

And selfish.

To be perfectly honest, major depression is about as selfish a mindset as it gets. You turn completely inward, and have no capacity to think of others. It's a symptom of the disease far more so than a conscious decision (trust me, you can't make decisions when you're depressed.)

But that's no reason to avoid calling it what it is: selfishness.

And selfish.

To be perfectly honest, major depression is about as selfish a mindset as it gets. You turn completely inward, and have no capacity to think of others. It's a symptom of the disease far more so than a conscious decision (trust me, you can't make decisions when you're depressed.)

But that's no reason to avoid calling it what it is: selfishness.

This is true. But it seems to me that most of those calling it selfishness believe it to be a conscious decision. This seems odd to me considering that during major depressive episodes one can't even decide to roll out of bed in the morning.

Cry me a river, boomers.

Heck we ain't cryin'. We've racked up $17T in debt and we're well positioned to get our government checks and benefits. It's the younger gens that should be crying and kicking and screaming at us. If the younger generation were paying attention, we'd have the most sweeping conservative movement in the history of the country right now. Instead, the younger gens are electing politicians who are deeply committed to spending and buying votes with money that is printed, borrowed and taken from "the rich". The younger generations are absolutely !@#$ing themsleves. Their suicide numbers will be off the charts.

I know of one. Didn't realize that there was someone else.

Even worse... Murder/suicide. :-(

I mean, it sure hits home... Outta the how many members we have here, 13k or so? Many are duplicates and alias... And we have two that are widely know... And that is just a localized group of Bills fan that found this place first? I don't even want to go into the political angle, that is not fair... We just don't know how (and who) many others that have had their situation remain silent. But carry on with the stupid stereotypical posts from both sides of the political fence.

3 children? Try this on for size. From 1964:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liveblog/wp/2013/02/28/magazine-after-dad-shot-mom-a-family-deals-with-the-haunting-legacy-of-gun-violence/

So true. The numbers do not lie... WOW...

Even worse... Murder/suicide. :-(

I mean, it sure hits home... Outta the how many members we have here, 13k or so? Many are duplicates and alias... And we have two that are widely know... And that is just a localized group of Bills fan that found this place first? I don't even want to go into the political angle, that is not fair... We just don't know how (and who) many others that have had their situation remain silent. But carry on with the stupid stereotypical posts from both sides of the political fence.

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

Suicides and murders that have happened by members in our small community here @ TSW. Very sad. You would think with such a number of posters/members... The number of incidents would be zero. Or, is zero too low out of 13k members? Is 2 too high or low? I am sure the number of actual real members isn't the full 13k or so?

I just sent you a PM explaining what he was referring to but it says you have chosen not to receive PM's from me

:cry:

Thanks (for trying) meazza. I don't want to offend anyone. It is just incredible that as a community we have to deal with something this sad. I wish we didn't... Nobody is immune... :-(

Edited by ExiledInIllinois